Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fell off the no-app wagon

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: I fell off the no-app wagon

I fell off the wagon yesterday & apped for a Citi card.  Got the denial just now.  Smiley Sad

(we need a crying-in-the-beer icon)

Would the backdoor Citi # be the way to go here?  I had a car loan they took over a few years ago & was NEVER late!  That should count for something!!!  

One question....I went to that Alliant CU website...what score is that that they give you??  That's not a FICO is it??

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 05-31-2009 09:25 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

BungalowMo wrote:

One question....I went to that Alliant CU website...what score is that that they give you??  That's not a FICO is it??

It's a FICO, but it's a FICO NextGen score, which I think was FICO's counter to the Vantage score. It didn't really go anywhere.

It weights factors differently than does the classic EX FICO score, so there's not a reliable correlation between the two. Nevertheless, there's a thread bouncing around arguing about this, and it has a conversion formula.

Like all these things, it works for some people's scores. Whether it would work for everyone's, who knows?

At any rate, it will probably be most useful in announcing that something is going on with your EX reports, via score changes. Again, though, how well it matches is up for debate, especially as it is nearly impossible to find out the classic EX score.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 22
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Thanks HSU!  What do you think about that backdoor # for my Citi denial?   Of course...they hit my EX report.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

DickC wrote: 

I have not applied for credit in over 8 years.Smiley Happy

Thats a record around here im sure...

Message 14 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

BungalowMo wrote:
Thanks HSU!  What do you think about that backdoor # for my Citi denial?   Of course...they hit my EX report.

I've never used that number. I have my own phone numbers to talk in circles with my Sears Citi card. Smiley Very Happy

I was hoping that some of the recon experts would reply. My theory is, it never hurts to try.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

BungalowMo,

Which Citi card did you apply for?  I've found that each of their more than 30 cards has specific criteria for acceptance (i.e. HiltonHonors requires a minimum of 9 satisfactory tradelines).  Certain of their cards (Diamond Preferred, Forward) have less stringent requirements than their so-called "premier" or co-branded cards. I've found that once approved, they will definitely grow with you.

My advice is if you do call try to have an analyst direct you to one of their "easier" qualifying cards.

Message 16 of 22
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

It was their Platinum Select card.  I guess I just was hoping to get a 0 int for a year & put my car pmt on it.

My brother...being nice...put my car on his card & I paid him.  Then he got a letter he never read (if you use card again, int goes from 10.9 to 24.9) He bought brake pads & now I'M screwed!!!  Smiley Mad

He said my interest pmts are only $65.00 per month!!! Smiley Surprised

You gotta know I'm pi$$ed!!

Message 17 of 22
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

itsmeagain,

If you're going to fall off the wagon, Alliant should cushion your fall.  Great CU.

Amen to that!

As per my original post, the reason I fell off the wagon was to app for a car loan and CC.  I was pre-approved for pretty much anything I want in a vehicle but would only give me a 5K on the CC because of my short history (1yr. 8 mo. avg.).

An interesting part of the conversation however, centered around my score.  He told me that Alliant uses the "Providian Model" for scoring.  It is based a range from 350 to 950 and even though my EQ FICO score is  743, the Providian score is between 690 and 718 (he wouldn't tell me exactly). He did say though, that it was an excellent score and I should have no problems with a 100% CLI after 6 mo.

So, even though I'm a sinner, I'm satisfied for the next year or so . . . . and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FocusOnFICO wrote:
DickC---that is an outstaninding setup that you and your wife have done.  Although I have a lot of time before we hit retirement, our goal is to have a similar setup---thanks for the encouragement!

Thank you for the kind words. I know retirement seems far off for many but at my age (61) it is enjoyable.

OF COURSE, they never quit wanting to get you to "apply" for things. I throw away so many "pre-approved" apps it is funny, from Banks, Stores, Gas cards, etc.

Also, I turn down Credit Limit Increases I am offered because honestly I see no need for them. Our Credit limits are sufficent to meet all our needs so having it raised just for the sake of it, seems unnecessary to me.

Just so they (the Credit Card Issuers) know I am thinking about them, I use each card several times a month, so they can make a few dollars off processing fees. Fortunately, I have not had to carry a balance in several years, so I don't mind throwing some business their way.

If a Major purchase is needed, we wait until someone offers us a "0% Interest option for a time", and then may use it, as why not use their money for free?

As I read the forums, one thing I would like to add, is that I have found it is very important, regardless of the amount of money you have to establish a relationship with an offficer at your bank. Be it just saying hello when you are in there, or if they are ot busy, sitting down and asking them something, (even if you know the answer) as it lets them see and get to know you. Branch managers can have many ways to assist you and it is much easier if they know who you are.

Good luck in your quest for retirement.I hope you reach that goal soon.

Message 19 of 22
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  I would also recommend--from a id theft, etc. angle--please shred your cc offers as opposed to throwing them in the trash.  Better safe than sorry.

Smart moves on how you handle your cards!

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.