cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got my Discover card over the weekend!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I got my Discover card over the weekend!!!

Premium gas will only get you better gas mileage if your tuned for it. With stock tuning, you're just wasting money on more expensive gas. I had my '07 Mustang GT tuned to 93 octane and got better gas mileage than the V6's Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 29
john398
Senior Contributor

stanggt03 wrote:

Premium gas will only get you better gas mileage if your tuned for it. With stock tuning, you're just wasting money on more expensive gas. I had my '07 Mustang GT tuned to 93 octane and got better gas mileage than the V6's Smiley Happy

Actually these days the cars computer will adjust to whatever octane it gets, even with a Lexus regular gasoline should work just fine, do some research, thats why car companies can no longer run commericals on preminium gasoline

Does your car manual say it requires prem or just  recomends it

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The computer can only automatically adjust so much. The car will run just fine with a different octane, but the difference will only help your wallet if you've got the car tuned for it. I ran several tanks of 93 in my Mustang before I bought the tune, to run the lower octane out. It did not noticeably affect my gas mileage until I got the proper tuning. There are a few cars out there that do adjust more for octane, but there are only a couple that claim to do it. The same reason that throwing race fuel in a fuel-injected car will only make a real performance difference if the computer is calibrated for it.

If the manual or dash doesn't say to run premium, you're not getting any benefits out of running higher octane without proper ECU/PCM calibration.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I guess since mine says to only use premium I should be getting some sort of benefit from it? I've never put anything other than premium in the car just because it says not to. I just never knew what the benefit for my car was and why I couldn't use a different type of gas.
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your car states to use premium, then do so. It may run alright with lower octane fuel, but depending on how tight they tune it at the factory, it could cause issues.They most likely tuned it for premium from the factory so they could up the gas mileage and power ratings for the vehicle. I know my old Aurora was the same way. The check engine light would come on and it would run terrible if you put regular fuel in it.

Message 15 of 29
john398
Senior Contributor

k I just disagree I guess....but whats really going to be bad for engines is if we go to 15% ethonal

But I guess you do have a point with high performance cars if your expecting high performance, was reading this

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/12093-why-prem-unleaded-coupe-if-sedan-can-use-regular-unleaded-4...

Of course I am off topic now sorry

Message 16 of 29
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@kc12286 wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I see the open road gets 2% cash back on gas. Didn't it used to be 5%?

I thought so too. Can anyone verify?

EDIT: After some quick searching, it seems the student version gets 5%. Doesn't seem like the regular version was 5%.

Even with the non-Student card, it used to be 5% CB on gasoline and auto maintenance.

Now they changed it to 2% CB on gasoline and restaurant with $250/cap.

@Anonymous wrote:
I drive an Infiniti G35, The car does get great gas mileage and I've heard that premium gas helps your card get better gas mileage but I'm not quite sure if that's true or not. I really think the reason behind me not uaving to fill up that often is because I don't drive all that far both my work and my kids school is so close to my home that I don't have to drive very far. As far as the Open Road cash back program, it's 2% back on your first $250 spent on gas and restaurant purchases per month then I believe it goes to 1% on anything over that.

It was discussed and compared many times on Infiniti boards. I had a G35 sedan, now I drive a G37s coupe. The G35 sedan is premium gas recommended. The G37s coupe is premium gas required. Look it up in your manual. I tested both regular and premium from different gas stations. Shell V-Power gives me the best gas milages and performance.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 17 of 29
kc12286
Frequent Contributor

@tengtengvn wrote:

@kc12286 wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I see the open road gets 2% cash back on gas. Didn't it used to be 5%?

I thought so too. Can anyone verify?

EDIT: After some quick searching, it seems the student version gets 5%. Doesn't seem like the regular version was 5%.

Even with the non-Student card, it used to be 5% CB on gasoline and auto maintenance.

Now they changed it to 2% CB on gasoline and restaurant with $250/cap.

@Anonymous wrote:
I drive an Infiniti G35, The car does get great gas mileage and I've heard that premium gas helps your card get better gas mileage but I'm not quite sure if that's true or not. I really think the reason behind me not uaving to fill up that often is because I don't drive all that far both my work and my kids school is so close to my home that I don't have to drive very far. As far as the Open Road cash back program, it's 2% back on your first $250 spent on gas and restaurant purchases per month then I believe it goes to 1% on anything over that.

It was discussed and compared many times on Infiniti boards. I had a G35 sedan, now I drive a G37s coupe. The G35 sedan is premium gas recommended. The G37s coupe is premium gas required. Look it up in your manual. I tested both regular and premium from different gas stations. Shell V-Power gives me the best gas milages and performance.

Ah ok. It was 5%. That's too bad that they lowered it and added a cap. Though I understand why they probably did it.
I may opt for the More card then and just use it for gas. I do eat out a lot. And could probably get a fair amount back from restaurants.

In the Garden Club since: 07/05/2017

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!

I applied today and was instantly approved for a $3500 limit I am so excited, can't wait to get the card.  The CSR did ask me how I intended to use it and I told her gas, dining and travel related.  She said for me to make sure to log on and sign up for the quarterly signups as they aren't automatic.  I should receive my card by next Thursday!! Yay...

I also applied for the PSECU VISA/PSL and was approved for $20k (I think the combo) today as well.  So while I was at it applied for the Chase Freedom and got the dreaded 7-10 day review by an analyst -- no instant approval, urgh.  

Has anyone gotten approved after getting this notice?   

Message 19 of 29
junior88
Frequent Contributor

I also was approved for the Discover Open Road Card today. Credit analyst asked me if $1500 CL was enough and I just said yes, does that mean it could've been higher? He kind of caught me off guard so I didn't push it. He also asked what I planned to use it for during the call. It was like they covered the entire app over the phone again. Any advice on the CL???? They said I will have my card by next Thursday, also.  My EQ FICO is 728, 2 INQ's. Not very much credit, no negatives.

11/13/23 TU 808 EX 800 EQ 806 ---- Discover $35,000/AmEx Delta Plat $30,000/Chase United $26,200/BOA $25,000/Macys AmEx $25,000/Sams Club MC $20,000GM Card $18,000/Chase IHG $16,000/Barclay Rewards $12,100/Dicks MasterCard $10,000/Lowes$15,000/BOA Cash Rewards $13,800/Citi Double Cash $9400/Citi Simplicity $8200/Target MC $8000/Wells Fargo Visa $7000/State Farm $4000
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.