cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

@kdm31091 wrote:
I think charging 2k on a 2k limit may have been problematic here but as with all threads about FR there's little point in speculating. Something OP did seemed risky to amex.

All you can do is send the documents and hope for the best OP. These things happen and there's little we can do except comply and carry on, or cancel the account. Good luck

Exactly. At this point no need to speculate why. Just try and save your accounts. When amex threatens suspension. It's not a income verification only. They really want to see tax returns. Pay stubs help. But they are after the 4506-t  which you authorize them to get transcript of your tax returns. Once you do that. Even if the amount is different than you stated on your app. You can save your accounts. Albeit if different stated income. They may cut your credit limit.  This is how they roll. 

Message 21 of 77
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I'm not even really concerned about the request from Amex. That would be simple to clear once OP talks to the assigned account manager. What would annoy me is the fact that the manager has been unreachable and has not even bothered to call the OP back in 5 days and I am assuming OP left a voicemail. There is no excuse for the unreturned phone call while the account remains suspended.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 22 of 77
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jawbrkr wrote:

I'm not even really concerned about the request from Amex. That would be simple to clear once OP talks to the assigned account manager. What would annoy me is the fact that the manager has been unreachable and has not even bothered to call the OP back in 5 days and I am assuming OP left a voicemail. There is no excuse for the unreturned phone call while the account remains suspended.

+1

This is actually my biggest issue as well.  If the OP were traveling and didn't have other cards, this delay could be disastrous.

Message 23 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, Another FR lottery winner. This is why I sent in my 4506 from the get go years ago.
Message 24 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like the reason for the FR is that you have two very low limit cards, and had a $2000 amex that you spent over $2000 on. Did you request the CLI while you were over the $2000 limit?

That makes it look like you needed a CLI so the card isn't maxed out. Couple that with all of your AU accounts, depending on what you posted for an income, it could raise a red flag that you are considering someone elses income and credit worthiness to inflate you own - not saying you are, but it can give that red flag.

The biggest question is, why on a BCE where you went over the limit on the card, would you wait until your statement POSTS before you pay in full? You needed to pay that to at least 20% below the limit before your statement cuts, but in reality should have paid in full well beforehand. Amex def doesn't like that.

I'd hound on the phone until you get your Account Manager, get the forms if you haven't already gotten them in the mail, and send them in. You should only be worried if you lied about something, otherwise it should all be fine.

Message 25 of 77
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I am going to say OP left a voicemail for the manager. In case manager says I didnt get a voicemail, make sure the Amex reps you spoke with DOCUMENT that you called several times to reach the manager and was unable to. That way there are records of your attempts to call on your account. If you're reaching out via chat...save the logs.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 26 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I briefly mentioned, in the gardening thread, I actually wanted a statement balance to post. Not... for the sake of waiting it out and holding onto money longer, but, for something to be on my Credit Report showing I was more than capable of spending $2 grand in a month, and having it payed off by the next billing cycle.  I thought this would look good in the long run, honestly. 

I did call back into American Express this morning. I was once again told, there was no one above them, and upon pushing further, I was told there is a "Account Adviser" but, I couldn't speak to her. They have to put in a special request, and I could expect a call back within 48-72 hours. However, the lady wouldn't even put in a request, because, she said my "account manager" would be back Monday, and *she* didn't see a point. 

Not wanting to argue with someone on the phone... (I'm sure she'd put in some really bad notes. I just said fine, fine. And... said I'd call back Monday.)

I did push, and ask for what documents, they needed from me. She said "I have no way of accessing your account. It can only be viewed by your account manager." 

For the record, I requested a CLI right after activation of the card. That was a little over two months ago. I honestly *did* believe my limit was $5k but in Amex World, that probably doesn't mean anything.

Message 27 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but, for the life of me, I don't understand why, I just can't talk to anyone in the office? 

In theory, they all work in the same department. They *all* do the same job. There is no one apparently above each other. Why can't someone take a call for another, and give out basic information?

Not that I really *need* the card, but, I was liking the fact, I would have a good limit reported. I knew it would help me in the long run, establish myself, and get more cards. One good limit card, is typically how you get into Banks like Chase or Citi, or so I'm told. 

Message 28 of 77
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but, for the life of me, I don't understand why, I just can't talk to anyone in the office? 

In theory, they all work in the same department. They *all* do the same job. There is no one apparently above each other. Why can't someone take a call for another, and give out basic information?

That would be my complaint as well. 

While I can understand suspending someone's account if it's believed they are 'busting out' or there's fraud, I don't understand why they are being so difficult with you. 

I guess it's fortunate you're not traveling... someone who was depending on their Amex to check out of an expensive hotel could be in for a 'rude' surprise, and apparently not one that a simple phone call to a CSR could clear up, either... jeez.  Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jawbrkr wrote:

I am going to say OP left a voicemail for the manager. In case manager says I didnt get a voicemail, make sure the Amex reps you spoke with DOCUMENT that you called several times to reach the manager and was unable to. That way there are records of your attempts to call on your account. If you're reaching out via chat...save the logs.

(Just figured out how to Quote people. Smiley Happy

When I was speaking with some lady in FR yesterday, she did mention, I can see you've called in quite a few times, and have obviously made an effort here. So, I think, every call you make into AMEX FR, is noted (by computers) even if the employees don't make note of it. 

I know I'm secure on that ground, I should probably start writing down dates & times, I've called. Make sure it's documented on my end. (Just need to look through cell phone history)

Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.