cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

Okay..Here is how I see it...Amex grants a card to a consumer who has extremely minimal credit experience (AU's dont count) with extremely low limits, 500 and 750, rexpectively. (Just for the record, I am not knocking this..I have clawed myself back from an ugly divorce where my scores went from 810 to 450...and went from a Centurion card to a Rush card!!!! GOD I wanted to die...so i've been there)...But I digress....

Amex algorithm's are created to pick up credit anomalies...meaning that when a+b=d, something is wrong.  When a consumer, whom prior to an American Express card,has only had a credit line as high as 750, now spends over 2000 (the initial limit of the card) and would be over limit had he not received a cli, Amex will sure as day want to make sure that he can pay such a bill since he has never had a prior exposure to such a balance.  I can almost gurantee (almost) that this the reasoning behind the fr...so

We need to understand that Amex is a funny bird..but so are Chase and Citi at times.  Cap one can give you a card with a $20k limit with only a limited credit file of First Premier and secured credit....you can go into the bank on the  second day...get a cash advance for 10K...and they wont even blink, But Amex is not such a card. I would always call amex a "big boy card"...as it always took, imo, a greater level of maturity to handle.  If you have lines...30k..20K..., a seasoned card member, etc...Amex can be more lenient...but you are never safe.  HOWEVER...if you have a very very limited credit file with very low lines...for GOD sakes be careful. Give them time to have fath in you.  For you to spend almost 3 times your previous high credit line during your third month with Amex was just asking for such a review and, as your title states, you should have seen it coming.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it all works out.

Message 61 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

FR sucks. Honestly I feel it's kind of intrusive. This is why I use certain cards for certain things. Then again most of us are under a microscope on this forum.
Message 62 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Posted my reply under the wrong account....Wish you the best

Gregg

Message 63 of 77
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Trouble is that it is hard to get the data that we really need:  

"What percentage of card holders of bank X get some form of 'interruption'?" where interruption can mean Amex FR, request for documents with charging suspended, card closure (or maybe CLD.)

I don't really know if it is higher for Amex, although the impression here seems to be that it is.   Elsewhere you see plenty of cards being closed by other issuers.

+1

I think part of it is the impression (true or not) that Amex will FR/shut you down even when you're not having problems, just because of where you shop, your billing ZIP code, or taking advantage of your credit lines.

If I needed to make a purchase that would temporarily used ALL of my revolving credit line, I wouldn't think twice about using my Quicksilver or Discover card.  On the other hand, it's well-known (at least here) that whatever Amex gives you for a credit line, you had better only use a portion of it, or else risk being flagged for AA.  Sure, there are some folks that don't have any problems, but again, that's where profiling comes in to play.  I'm sure all companies profile to some extent, it's just that Amex seems to be more aggressive with it... they even made the news a few years back.

Op could have a slightly off report, but what spooked them was the change in spending habits.  First two months, very little spend (in fact, the card is withint 3 months of opening, while they are getting used to you).  When I first get a 0% card, I charge it up to around 10% the first month (there is a minimum spend to reach for most bonuses, and Discover was my sweet spot for this quarter, Amazon).  Then start paying down, add on, and pay down more.  This pattern was out of OP's usual charging, and that triggered the computer.  Since the balance is paid off, methinks there won't be much of an issue once he gets ahold of anyone in the underwriting department, 

That is, we assume all is right with the world (the BCE is not an MS card, so I don't think that was going on here).

Signature needs updating
Message 64 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

So....any update????...Its 10:13 est...I would have been on the phone as soon as the amex coffee machine was turned on!!!

Message 65 of 77
yfan
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

- Amex may think the OP is in financial trouble since he maxed out the card.  What good is looking at income from 9 long months ago?  And not even asking for household expenses?  A tax return even if it was based on yesterday's numbers doesn't say anything about how much trouble the person is in.

While tax returns aren't a perfect picture of one's financials, it is aboslutely nonsense to claim that they don't say "anything" about how much trouble a person is in. Generally, income and exemptions do not much change from year to year, which is why Amex uses the most recent tax return as an indicator of ability to pay. It's true that sudden changes can happen, if they do, they need to be addressed with Amex during the review and proof presented.

@core wrote:

- Amex (in other people's situations) may be concerned about a bust out.  Again, how does income from 9 months ago show that a bust-out is not being attempted _now_?  It doesn't prove anything either way.

American Express isn't the district attorney prosecuting a criminal defendant. It is a lender lending you money. They don't have to prove anything beyond some reasonable doubt for a jury. They want what they believe is a good indicator of ability to repay one's debt.

@core wrote:

The guesses given for the reason for these FRs make NO sense.  The FRs themselves make very little sense.  Unless the only point of an FR is to punish someone a bit.

Punish? Where's the punishment? Credit is a 2-way relationship, and unsecured credit is also an at-will relationship. No one has a right to a credit card, and if they don't like the lender's terms that are within the law, they can simply leave. No one has to give Amex anything during FR. If they don't, Amex will simply close the account. Refusing to loan someone your own money is not a form of punishment that I am aware of.

Message 66 of 77
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@core wrote:

- Amex may think the OP is in financial trouble since he maxed out the card.  What good is looking at income from 9 long months ago?  And not even asking for household expenses?  A tax return even if it was based on yesterday's numbers doesn't say anything about how much trouble the person is in.

While tax returns aren't a perfect picture of one's financials, it is aboslutely nonsense to claim that they don't say "anything" about how much trouble a person is in. Generally, income and exemptions do not much change from year to year, which is why Amex uses the most recent tax return as an indicator of ability to pay. It's true that sudden changes can happen, if they do, they need to be addressed with Amex during the review and proof presented.

@core wrote:

- Amex (in other people's situations) may be concerned about a bust out.  Again, how does income from 9 months ago show that a bust-out is not being attempted _now_?  It doesn't prove anything either way.

American Express isn't the district attorney prosecuting a criminal defendant. It is a lender lending you money. They don't have to prove anything beyond some reasonable doubt for a jury. They want what they believe is a good indicator of ability to repay one's debt.

@core wrote:

The guesses given for the reason for these FRs make NO sense.  The FRs themselves make very little sense.  Unless the only point of an FR is to punish someone a bit.

Punish? Where's the punishment? Credit is a 2-way relationship, and unsecured credit is also an at-will relationship. No one has a right to a credit card, and if they don't like the lender's terms that are within the law, they can simply leave. No one has to give Amex anything during FR. If they don't, Amex will simply close the account. Refusing to loan someone your own money is not a form of punishment that I am aware of.

Agreed. This is not a criminal case. This is a credit card. An unsecured loan/debt that can be revoked at the lender's or consumer's option.

There is no "burden of proof" with this...Amex can revoke or CLD or do whatever they want with your account. They don't have to prove you were doing anything risky. You may not have been. But it doesn't matter. You're borrowing their money, and reaping rewards from them. If they decide you are doing something they feel is risky, they take action. No proof required. It sucks, but this is part of the world of cards.

Message 67 of 77
core
Valued Contributor

OK I knew I should not have used the words "prove" and "disprove".  Let us not dwell on that error.

How about this version:  If a person is suspected to be MSing, last year's tax return doesn't even "indicate" whether or not that is the case.

As for "indicating" whether a person is in trouble, I still maintain a tax return does not show this.  If I have a $200k income and $200k worth of unavoidable household expenses (which do NOT appear on my return), I'm in just as much trouble as a person who makes $0.  

Nowhere in any post on this site did I say that a credit card company owes anybody anything.  Not once.  Straw man argument.

Message 68 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

What is the point of these FRs anyway?

how would OP show household expenses and do you think Amex reps really have the time to sift through receipts like a CPA or accountant would? tax return would be based on prior year yes, but that goes into how most credit card companies decide--whether to approve or not, and if approve, how much..doesn't credit card companies deny if you don't have enough history showing you can handle credit, or credit with X amount of CL?  

That is true, but again, like above..no one can predict the future, so past history is always used to try and gauge--they don't ask for ten years ago, or five..but within reasonable timeframe..like last year.

- Often mentioned in these FR threads is that maybe the person was MSing category rewards.  How is looking at last year's tax returns, before the Amex account even existed, going to prove or disprove MSing?  If they really wanted to get to the bottom of this possibility they'd ask for receipts or an itemized list of purchases or something.  Not tax returns.  
Why would they do this?  Even in cases where people MS and we know they MS and clearly the company can connect the dots and decides to cut ties they don't right out and say, you're manufactoring spending. now you're just talking silly because companies always cover their behinds when it comes to why they're severing ties..always as vague as possible and not putting anything in writing or out verbally that can come back and bite them in the butt.  So they won't be asking for itemized receipts even if they were daring enough to, the paperwork alone would drown them, not because of the one individual but i imagine this is a large pool given Amex's roughly 38,000,000 credit card holders.

Tax returns are much easier, and if you made 100k last year, they could probably easily pinpoint how much roughly you'd spend on rent/mortgage based on your county and if you're already spending over 100k in swipes--they'd want to know you have enough liquid assets to support that, otherwise, it doesn't matter if you doubled your income this year and is making 200,000 (which to be honest, short of a job change, how many employers would double your income? or if you worked for yourself, how much of that would you really keep and not put back into your business as an investment?) because even without calculating basic day to day expensures that you cannot escape (bills, food, tax) you've already spent last year's gross annual..

nope, i am sure Amex has better things to do then to sit around, having fun at someone's expense in the form of a "punishment". if you have the dough to back up the spending, don't you think Amex would want to keep that to keep the swipe fees (especially given that they're amongst the highest).  theres a gamble between being burned by a cardholder and having a cardholder bled dry of high APR%.  clearly most lenders are willing to take that gamble, Amex isn't, and is being more conservative but that's within their rights.

Message 69 of 77
yfan
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

How about this version:  If a person is suspected to be MSing, last year's tax return doesn't even "indicate" whether or not that is the case.

Except there is no indication here that Amex is doing an FR for the OP here for MSing. OP has expressly stated that all his expenditure was not only normal spend but non-category spend.

@core wrote:

As for "indicating" whether a person is in trouble, I still maintain a tax return does not show this.  If I have a $200k income and $200k worth of unavoidable household expenses (which do NOT appear on my return), I'm in just as much trouble as a person who makes $0.  

Right, but usually people who make $200K a year don't have as hard a time paying bills as someone who makes nothing. Usually. That is not to say that there is nobody who makes a $200K and isn't just as unable to pay their bills as someone who makes zero, but that isn't usual. Risk, by its nature, isn't about certainty; it's about chances. Amex thinks if you have a certain amount of income (and/or assets - tax information on significant amounts of assets or income from assets are often part of a tax return), you are probably able to pay a certain amount on a bill. They aren't always right, but they have been lending for a long time, and I would think they have more experience and better risk models than a couple of forum members trying to throw out guesses.

Message 70 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.