Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Amex... again.

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I hate Amex... again.

So they CLD'd me last September, I got over it.  I app'd for a Green and got it in October.  I called to ask about my exposure limit since the Delta was CLD'd I didn't want to be embarassed in public if a charge was denied.

Over the past few months I decided to really start using the Green as my everyday card.  Today I got a call from Amex stating my Green card is frozen and payment is due in full immediately.  Say WHAT?  My new statement doesn't even drop until April 6th!  I PIF about 10 days ago on the other charges.

According to the CSR the fact that I went over 1k two months in a row is too far out of my normal spending pattern -- which prior to the last two months had been a monthly average of 157 or something.  So, at the moment I have a balance of around 1150 and another charge pending that has been approved.  My current 'limit' is 1236.  They are afraid that Im in over my head and are demanding payment IN FULL immediately.

Hah!  I'll PIF when I get paid -- which is STILL prior to the DROP date.  Sadly I have my Verizon bill on this card and it will post before I get the balance back to zero, so of course I have to change it.

I am so frustrated.  I pay both of my Amex CCs in full every month and have done so for the past year.

I just wanted to warn some of you that they may start coming after you and your charge cards.  Beware.

(End of rant)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: I hate Amex... again.

I am sorry to hear what happend to you. Looks like they did not like sudden increase in the spending pattern. That is strange. I guess for a card with no preset spending limit, one should increase the spending on the card gradually and establish track record. It still puzzles me how they are reviewing and handling these details.
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did the same thing to my significant other -- his Business Platinum charge card.  

He basically told them that he'd be happy to PIF (as usual) when the statement cut.     They apparently didn't like that response, and immediately froze both his business card, AND his personal True Earnings card (20k limit, 0 balance).

It's just wacky.   Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to Amex.    I'm really hesitant to use my own Amex card, for anything, *ever*.

Message 3 of 40
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have got to the stage where I call all my cardholders if I am going to do anything "out of pattern".  Everyone is getting jumpy!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 40
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I hate to say this,after I got PLUM Card for my Business, last week, I applied for Platinum Business Credit Card. App status says '"in progress". I have been wondering what will be Amex reaction to this new app for my business.
Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
I hate to say this,after I got PLUM Card for my Business, last week, I applied for Platinum Business Credit Card.

Wow concord.   I think we need to cut off your fingers.

Message 6 of 40
score_building
Senior Contributor

Whirled- that really totally bites, i still think your approach to greenie was clever and spirited considering the CLD that preceeded your approval.  you'll find a way around this snafu with them, you always do!

concord - prepare for F/R and or CLD/ cancellation.  i sure hope not of course but it sounds like you may've pushed the envelop just coming out of a Optima deal.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks -- I feel a bit better.  I'm really trying to not take this personally, but it's tough.  The CSR called me while I was in line at the grocery store.  Granted, there's no way she could have known that, but asking me to make a payment while I'm standing outside of the store is not ideal.  My last payment was due on March 23rd, which I've already paid.  I paid it 10 days early, NOT before the statement drop as I had previously mentioned.  I love how they want me to PIF again already when I PIF 5 days ago.

I told them they'd get paid when I get paid.  Grump.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 8 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

score_building wrote:

Whirled- that really totally bites, i still think your approach to greenie was clever and spirited considering the CLD that preceeded your approval.  you'll find a way around this snafu with them, you always do!

Thanks.  I thought I had a really good idea of how I was using the Green -- as in use it for every day expenses and be forced to PIF each month.  Had I known this was the way it works, I'd have charged a few big things in the beginning to establish a higher spending pattern.

I also mentioned to the CSR that I was orig told my exposure limit was 5k.  She said she's sorry I was told that, as that isn't the way it works with them.  They look at income and other monthly expenses, along with your spending pattern, in order to determine whether or not you can pay the charges in full every month.  Did I ever stutter w/ a payment?  Nope.  I'm a little irked that Amex has this much 'say' in how I manage my finances.  As long as they're getting paid, why should it matter?

End of grump, again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 9 of 40
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

From what I see they closely monitor the spending / payment patterns. On all my accounts I usally PIF every time I see a balance on my accounts. That is almost twice a day I make the payments on my accounts and keep the balance near zero most of the time. I use BOA bill pay and it does not cost me any thing to make the payments, all I do is click the button and payment is made. This approach keeps my balances very low all the time. One day or other we have to pay, in my case I pay it off as and when there is balance on my account.

Cheer up Peas, pay off the balance and slowly increase the spending or make the payments more often on the card instead of waiting for the statment to cut with large balance. That reduces the nervousness to any creditors especially Amex.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.