cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a few questions about my credit cards, looking for help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have a few questions about my credit cards, looking for help!

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt know that - so if i pay off my balances each month or carry no balance thats ok 

Yes that's ok.

AND, if I get a rewards card I should absolutely pay off the balances.

Absolutely pay them off. Or the interest eats up the rewards value.

Further, I should ask for a credit line increase on the lowes card, but i should do that online or over the phone?

Call Synchrony back door number. You'll talk with an analyst who will ask you questions that verify who you are blah blah blah. Dont tell them you're just trying to lower your utilization. Tell them you have a project coming up...if they ask. They didn't ask me.

Just a little note here, our spending habits are minimal we dont eat out much and we generally only spend money we have to spend. 

Just keep in mind that it is hard to earn rewards when you don't spend, but you don't want to start spending just to earn rewards. I put all of my bills that I can pay with a cc on my cc then pay them off right away. You earn rewards faster this way. Just remember to pay off like you would a debit card right away. It gives you that mentality.

We live on a budget that we do each month and we have done this for a little over a year. It's paid off!

Also I just check to make sure my husbands only CC does have a yearly fee and it has a $650 limit and a $40 balance

Get rid of the AF card after you get the cards you want.

How badly would it hurt to pay it off and close it or should i ask for a CC from the same company that has no fee ???

If you can product change that card to a card with no AF then yes do it especially if it benefits your family. It would be preferable. Just closing out the card would be a hit as well as inquiries for new cards but only short term. Think 3-6 months. After that your scores should start coming back up. It's why I said to get what you want first before closing other cards.

Message 11 of 36
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently we carry a $4000 balance on our HELOC and a $1000 balance on our Lowes card - call this # 877-379-8173 and ask them for $25K and they'll counter with the maximum CLI they can offer 

The HELOC is $10k and Lowes is $2500

The 3 credit cards are low balances $40 - $100 - $235 these should be paid off if you're looking to maximize your scores for an approval

Limits are $650 - $500 - $1000 - respectively 

Our FICO scores are 666 and 728

Should we payoff and close the 3 cards in exchange for one that would offer better rewards and/or perks? Say one from our bank?

We've never asked for a credit line increase also. even if it's a HP you should look into a CLI after going after the 10-15K on Lowe's and letting it report

But I am assuming we should qualify for a higher limit like $5k......i assume. I dont want to ask because i dont want the inquiry on my report. why do you think you're going to get a $5K CL on a new card when your existing l imits are $1000 and under?

It seems as if you have some misconceptions on how credit works.  Others have already mentioned needing to get Lowe's up to a useable limit and also bringing your utilization of the CL down with the increase.  Ideally you only want 1 or 2 cards to report a balance.  The others need some activity to keep the positive points coming in.  Just use them for something and pay them off before the statement closes each month or every 3-6 months.  Closing out your existing lines won't help you get a bigger limit on a new card.  

Perks?  Really?  These things come with more time and experience.  Your scores seem to be in the right neighborhood for some different approvals. It's hard to say which direction to go in though not knowing who these 3 cards are through currently.

Is the $5K CL thought because you got a HELOC for $10K?  HELOC is different than a revolving account since if you default they take your house.

For the $650 card with the AF.... Depending on the bank you may be able to change it to a different card at the same bank w/o an AF attached to it.  Back to the whole we don't know which lenders you're working with other than Lowe's.

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help

The cards are Credit One Bank - Capital One - Capital One

We have low limits because when we got these cards we had poor credit over the past 2 years we have paid all collections and had all negitive marks removed from our credit.

Our payment history for the past 2 years is 100% for all accounts. 

For the first 12 years of our marriage we had no car payment and no credit cards at all, and only a few minor medical collections.

2 years ago we starting looking into buying a home. My husband got the Credit one bank CC and made me a user on the card. My credit was thin until 2 years ago and his was poor. The past two years we went from 500 and 450 credit scores to 750 and 720 respectively. When we purchased our home my credit was 752 and his was 719. We lost a few points when we did the HELOC. 

Basically I want 1 card so I dont have to manage 3 CC accounts.

Message 13 of 36
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Definitely get rid of the Credit One card. Look into combining the Cap1 cards, assuming they belong to the same person. What is your third score?
Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure what you mean by my third score?

Message 15 of 36
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

You mention 2 credit scores. There are 3 bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.
Message 16 of 36
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the help

The cards are Credit One Bank (AF won't be waived unless you threaten to cancel) - Capital One - Capital One

We have low limits because when we got these cards we had poor credit over the past 2 years we have paid all collections and had all negitive marks removed from our credit. congrats on the cleanup!!

Our payment history for the past 2 years is 100% for all accounts. A++

For the first 12 years of our marriage we had no car payment and no credit cards at all, and only a few minor medical collections. this happens quite often until you need to get a mortgage or something that requires some credit history and open accounts

2 years ago we starting looking into buying a home. My husband got the Credit one bank CC and made me a user on the card. My credit was thin until 2 years ago and his was poor. The past two years we went from 500 and 450 credit scores to 750 and 720 respectively. When we purchased our home my credit was 752 and his was 719. We lost a few points when we did the HELOC.   MEH.... a couple points isn't worth worrying about 

Basically I want 1 card so I dont have to manage 3 CC accounts. Yeah, but, in this case with 2 years of history it's hard to make this work well.

Well, I can see that dumping Credit 1 would be ideal due to the fee and low limit.

Combining the 2 Cap1 cards into a single card would optomize the multiple card management issue you're bringing up.

Finding a high limit credit card is going to be difficult since no one wants to be the high limit lender with 3 cards under $1K.  This is partially why we're pushing the Lowe's CLI in addition to the lowering of utilization.

Once you have at least 1 lender reporting a CL over $5K or $10K or so on up the ladder then other lenders see that payment history and self restraint on spending and will roll the dice on an approval for a higher limit.  

Ideally 3 cards puts you in the best spot for financing / CC's if you need to make some changes down the road.  So, if you push Lowe's up and wait for it to report the new CL it should open some potential doors.  In the meantime I would work on combining the Cap1 cars into a single card which is usually pretty easy and can be done online.  After these 2 things are done then looking into a new card with a higher limit should be easier to get into.  Once you have the higher limit and the single Cap1 account pushing to close that Credit 1 account would be priority.

CC's are a game when it comes to getting where you want to be.  Sometimes you have to bob and weave a little bit to get things started.  Overall though after 12 years of no credit and cleaninng things up to pulling a mortgage and a HELOC you're doing a good job.  Hopefully this little roadmap makes a little bit of sense and helps in your pursuit of your goals.

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why people are pressuring the OP to get a Lowes credit line increase.  She said she doesn't see a need. I think she needs to do what's right for her.  Some people on this board are obsessed with getting the most credit possible (and that's ok for them), but not everyone wants that.

Message 18 of 36
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

It'll also lower her UTI and thus raise her scores and possibly help get a larger SL with a new card.
Message 19 of 36
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand why people are pressuring the OP to get a Lowes credit line increase.  She said she doesn't see a need. I think she needs to do what's right for her.  Some people on this board are obsessed with getting the most credit possible (and that's ok for them), but not everyone wants that.

Finding a high limit credit card is going to be difficult since no one wants to be the high limit lender with 3 cards under $1K.  This is partially why we're pushing the Lowe's CLI in addition to the lowering of utilization.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.