Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an offer from Chase for the CSP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an offer from Chase for the CSP

what has been your success rate in asking Chase to waive the annual fee?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: I have an offer from Chase for the CSP

FT suggests to ask for an account credit rather than an AF waiver.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1710270-chase-retention-bonus-offers-june-201...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986171-chase-retention-offers-2019-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2003004-chase-retention-offers-2020-a.html

*And, to be clear, these are retention offers after at least a year...not requests for no AF during the first year.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you talking about waving the AF of a card you currently have or applying for the CSP and wanting them to wave the AF if approved? 

Message 3 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

They arent that desperate.

If you already had a card with AF and put a decent spend on it, you might get a retention offer, but asking them to waive AF on a brand new card with a large SUB...that will surely be an interesting conversation. 

My guess, you will get a hefty nope. 

Like, really chunky nope. 

Message 4 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Unless you have an offer specifically stating that the annual fee will be waived, there is no chance that your first year will be waived.

Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that a lot of the people who seek an offer do so once after 24 or 36 months...not after a few weeks. Asking once every 12 months is much less likely to succeed, especially if you're not putting high spend on the card...and if you planned on putting a lot of spend on the card, you'd probably want the extra rewards from CSR.

Ultimately, you should expect to pay the AF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 11
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I got mine back when it was no AF the first year. I asked for a retention offer last year after the 1st AF hit and I was denied.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmaoooo  I like your style op 

Message 8 of 11
importxpresions
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

lol ...asks for af waiver, thirty days later gets "Card closed due to low use" letter. Sorry op it's weird times and I had to 😂

Current:

Mortgage applications waiting for market to calm down
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never asked for a waived AF because I don't think $95 is all that hefty in the grand scheme of AF's. Especially on the CSP where' you're getting 60K UR's that pretty covers it. That and it's Chase, who sees this a sign of weeknesss. Smiley LOL

That aside if you are unsure that this product will net any gainful returns to offset the AF then it likely isn't for you. After all it's only a 2% card on Travel and Dining, so certainly other cards with better return. Although if you use Lyft, you can earn 5X points until 3/22. 

The coverage benefits are nice but only useful when actually used. 

If you're wanting it for the SUB that's fine, but if you intend to keep it you'll need to make it your exclusive dining card for an annual spend of at least $5K to cover the AF. Of course that's assuming 2% CB, so i don't know how they treat points when you use them as a statement credit. I don't spend even close to $400 a month on dining so I had to PC it for the time being.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.