Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have excellent credit, but I have some questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have excellent credit, but I have some questions

@Gollum wrote:

I applied online for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday CC, and was approved within a few seconds. The credit limit is $7500. I didn't want that high a credit limit. I'd prefer a $1000 credit limit for this card, because (so far, at least) I plan to only use it for Android Pay (where I see the little symbol on the pay terminal/whatever) and gasoline purchases using the plastic card at the pump. I only got this card because I want to use Android Pay with my smartphone, my only current choice for Android Pay currently is my Capital One CC, and I don't want to give any more business to Capital One.

For anyone who is wondering how to enter the seeming stratosphere of creditworthiness: My annual income is currently $42,700. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to pay my bills on time for the last twenty years or so.

It's usually better to have a higher credit limit, even if you don't need it, because that allows you to still show low utilization even if you end up using it more tha you think.

Message 21 of 49
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

I applied online for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday CC, and was approved within a few seconds. The credit limit is $7500. I didn't want that high a credit limit. I'd prefer a $1000 credit limit for this card, because (so far, at least) I plan to only use it for Android Pay (where I see the little symbol on the pay terminal/whatever) and gasoline purchases using the plastic card at the pump. I only got this card because I want to use Android Pay with my smartphone, my only current choice for Android Pay currently is my Capital One CC, and I don't want to give any more business to Capital One.

For anyone who is wondering how to enter the seeming stratosphere of creditworthiness: My annual income is currently $42,700. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to pay my bills on time for the last twenty years or so.

It's usually better to have a higher credit limit, even if you don't need it, because that allows you to still show low utilization even if you end up using it more tha you think.

My major concern is what the future effect may be on my Simmons First CC. In the past, I've considered asking Capital One to reduce my credit limit (still $10,500), but I never did it, and Simmons First eventually raised my credit limit twice (to its current $7500). I'll try calling American Express later today during U.S.A. business hours to see if they'll lower the limit. I have approx. 7% utilization of unsecured credit lines already before I pay my current Simmons First balance before the due date.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 22 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

My major concern is what the future effect may be on my Simmons First CC. In the past, I've considered asking Capital One to reduce my credit limit (still $10,500), but I never did it, and Simmons First eventually raised my credit limit twice (to its current $7500). I'll try calling American Express later today during U.S.A. business hours to see if they'll lower the limit. I have approx. 7% utilization of unsecured credit lines already before I pay my current Simmons First balance before the due date.

That is crazy talk Smiley Tongue What is so special about the Simmons First card again, other than they are tough to get in with? If it were me, I wouldn't be lowering the CLs on cards you will actually be using. How often do you use your Simmons card, and do you need that limit raised more than $7500?

Message 23 of 49
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

That is crazy talk Smiley Tongue What is so special about the Simmons First card again, other than they are tough to get in with? If it were me, I wouldn't be lowering the CLs on cards you will actually be using. How often do you use your Simmons card, and do you need that limit raised more than $7500?

+1

I'm not going to judge the OP, but I've never understood why something is necessarily 'better' simply because it's more difficult to obtain (or is perceived as such). 

Frankly, I couldn't care less how difficult a card is to get... it either works for me or it doesn't - and by "works" I mean it earns it's keep (i.e. rewards). 

I know earning rewards isn't for everybody, but I am still struggling to understand the logic of the OP being concerned about how Simmons will react to a profile change... other than a low APR and manual underwriting, Simmons isn't really all that special.

That being said, my understanding isn't required for me to say that the BCE/BCP are fantastic cards, especially for those who spend significant sums at grocery stores.  I'll also add that if the monthly grocery store spend is $210 or greater, it would be worth paying the AF to get the BCP.

Message 24 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

+1

I'm not going to judge the OP, but I've never understood why something is necessarily 'better' simply because it's more difficult to obtain (or is perceived as such). 

Frankly, I couldn't care less how difficult a card is to get... it either works for me or it doesn't - and by "works" I mean it earns it's keep (i.e. rewards). 

I know earning rewards isn't for everybody, but I am still struggling to understand the logic of the OP being concerned about how Simmons will react to a profile change... other than a low APR and manual underwriting, Simmons isn't really all that special.

That being said, my understanding isn't required for me to say that the BCE/BCP are fantastic cards, especially for those who spend significant sums at grocery stores.  I'll also add that if the monthly grocery store spend is $210 or greater, it would be worth paying the AF to get the BCP.

Very well said UncleB. Although I suppose we all have that one card that we love, for reasons only we understand, and will do anything not to jeopardize it. But I'm with you, that card better earn its keep Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 49
redpat
Senior Contributor

Good grief, analysis by paralysis.

OP, leave things as they are, you will be fine with Simmons.

This is the second thread about committing self-inflicted AA (CLD) that I have read in a week. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 26 of 49
Gollum
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

+1

I used to have lousy credit. As time went on, my credit situation improved. Eventually, I was able to obtain a Simmons First CC. That was proof/validation to me that I had excellent credit, instead of lousy credit. I value my credit relationship with Simmons First. Whenever I think about my Simmons First CC, I get a certain amount of satisfaction just because a small group of people at Simmons First has voted their confidence in me.
Obsessing over a percentage point or two here or there cash-back seems silly to me. What do you get? Ten bucks a month? It's not worth it to me, and I'm middle-income.
I decided to just accept the credit limit ($7500) that American Express gave me, because asking for a lower limit probably would throw a wrench into the algorithm.
Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 27 of 49
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

+1

Very well said UncleB. Although I suppose we all have that one card that we love, for reasons only we understand, and will do anything not to jeopardize it. But I'm with you, that card better earn its keep Smiley Wink

What's your suggestion for monthly "income" for a card that "earns its keep?"

Message 28 of 49
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

+1

What's your suggestion for monthly "income" for a card that "earns its keep?"

That's subjective; it will be different for each of us.  Smiley Happy

For me, the approx. $20 a month that I earn with my BCP means it "earns it's keep", but to some people that would be peanuts and not worth the trouble.  There are other ways a card can "earn it's keep" as well... for example, I have a low APR card with NFCU that I like having for those few times I need to carry a balance.  I also have a card with USAA that (for me) is strictly for the occasional no-fee cash advance and for overdraft protection for my checking account.

A card with Simmons might "earns it's keep" due to the low APR, but since low-APR cards aren't that difficult to find (especially for someone who can qualify for Simmons) I just woudn't be too concerned with AA from them. 

That's just me, though... to each his/her own.  Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 49
Calistal
Regular Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

+1

I used to have lousy credit. As time went on, my credit situation improved. Eventually, I was able to obtain a Simmons First CC. That was proof/validation to me that I had excellent credit, instead of lousy credit. I value my credit relationship with Simmons First. Whenever I think about my Simmons First CC, I get a certain amount of satisfaction just because a small group of people at Simmons First has voted their confidence in me.
Obsessing over a percentage point or two here or there cash-back seems silly to me. What do you get? Ten bucks a month? It's not worth it to me, and I'm middle-income.
I decided to just accept the credit limit ($7500) that American Express gave me, because asking for a lower limit probably would throw a wrench into the algorithm.

On the rewards, it may not be much per month (I gain somewhere between 20-40 a month depending on the month) but by the end of 12 months I'm looking at between $240 and $480, which helps with christmas spending, so I'm not having to pull as much from savings since I work commission and winter is lower paycheck time.  I have 2 nephews and starwars merch ain't cheap! Smiley Tongue

Starting Scores : EQ: 593 // TU: 571 // EX: 595 ~~5/2023 : TU: 823 // EX: 831 // EQ: 838
TCLs: 144k
Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.