cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hit "see if we have an offer for you!" And got a credit inquiry..

tag
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: I hit "see if we have an offer for you!" And got a credit inquiry..

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@user365735 wrote:

I'm trying to stay low as I rebuild and I decided to hit a link as stated in the title but they actually ran my credit and declined me. I wouldn't have applied if I knew it was a hard check! They didn't even have an option at the final step that makes you check you agree them running your credit.

Crap company. What are my options? I've never asked for removal, does this qualify?

Is there still a thing where you can sue if someone runs your credit without your approval and it's $1000?

I honestly didn't know it was a hard pull. I have plenty of credit but I wanna stay low to get better cards.

Whenever you apply for credit you should assume it's a hard pull. I'm sure the fine print disclosed that to you.

No you have no basis for disputing the inquiry.

I agree with @SouthJamaica . I'm also sure it was in the terms and conditions. 

The OP also never came back to reveal which bank or company the pre-qual was with. 

FICO 8 (1/21/24) EX 805 EQ 720 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778 TU 850
CH 13 DC 1/5/21 -- I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 6K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 5K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Gold Delta Skymiles 6K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 1K | Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 15K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 1.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I Affinity Pure Rewards Visa 5K
Message 11 of 13
CorpCrMgr1
Frequent Contributor

Good for you!!

Message 12 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

I agree with @SouthJamaica . I'm also sure it was in the terms and conditions. 

The OP also never came back to reveal which bank or company the pre-qual was with. 

"see if we have an offer for you" could be construed as being misleading phrasing.   The question would be as whether the CFPB or the FDIC would agree that it was and if so to the point where remediation was going to be warranted, hence the suggestion that OP file a CFPB complaint.

(2/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.