I just Can't Figure AMEX Out!!!!

tag
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Re: I just Can't Figure AMEX Out!!!!

@myjourney wrote:

AMEX is a tuff nut to crack but you must have a hammer Lol

Keep cracking that shellSmiley Wink

AMEX are VERY strange bedfellows, but when they're good....they're GREAT !

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 11 of 26
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
If I can just get to $24,500 on my BCE, I'll be so so so so HAPPY!

Try adding an AU to your acct, b/c i truly think thats why AMEX is showing me luv all of a sudden....

Message 12 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah! That seems like it'd make sense since they could reasonably expect higher spending! Will they let you add someone under 18? I could add my little sis. Also, do they check the AUs credit? Or base any future credit decisions with you on the AU credit profile?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 26
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Yeah! That seems like it'd make sense since they could reasonably expect higher spending! Will they let you add someone under 18? I could add my little sis. Also, do they check the AUs credit? Or base any future credit decisions with you on the AU credit profile?

I might be wrong, but I believe all that is needed in regards to adding an AU is a valid SS#. And one of the things that I like about AMEX, is that they allow you to control an AU's CL, whereas mine is 35K, i've set my brother's CL at 1K so he will not go crazy!

Message 14 of 26
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

I might be wrong, but I believe all that is needed in regards to adding an AU is a valid SS#. And one of the things that I like about AMEX, is that they allow you to control an AU's CL, whereas mine is 35K, i've set my brother's CL at 1K so he will not go crazy!

Amex requires the Additional Card Member to be 15yo before they can be added.  I just did this for my nephew last Fall on my Green card, and plan to add the rest of the nieces/nephews when they're old enough.  And as L-TWT wrote, it's great to be able to assign a spending limit so they don't get out of control with it.  They do require the ACM's SSN and DOB when adding them to the account (and I think their address), but that's it.  

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 15 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ahh okay.
But what if the person you add as an AU has bad credit?
My sister isn't quite 15. I could add one of my brothers, and they have no credit. One is 16, and the other is 21.
Does the AUs credit profile have an impact on the account or could it have an impact on AA?!
Tbh, I would not even give them a card LOL.
Hah. Not my Amex! But if adding AU would help my cli chances in the future, I'm all about it lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 26
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Ahh okay.
But what if the person you add as an AU has bad credit?
My sister isn't quite 15. I could add one of my brothers, and they have no credit. One is 16, and the other is 21.
Does the AUs credit profile have an impact on the account or could it have an impact on AA?!
Tbh, I would not even give them a card LOL.
Hah. Not my Amex! But if adding AU would help my cli chances in the future, I'm all about it lol

It shouldn't be a problem.  Here's what it says on the "add a member" page:

Complete the fields below to add an Additional Card member to your account. All Additional Card members must be 15 years of age or older and must never have had a defaulted account with American Express.  How many total Additional Cards would you like to add to your account? 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 17 of 26
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

I have been a member with AMEX since 2006, and all in all, my experience has been excellent. If I can remember correctly when I first opened my acct my starting CL was ~2K and has grown to 30K w/o any automatic increases, all self initiated SP's VIA the online automative system. So to answer ever1's queation, the automative system will allow approves over 25K, but will try trigger AMEX to FR your acct. With that said my acct was FR'd, I submitted the paper work and 30K CL OK'd. Around 2009/2010 CL dropped to 6.7K w/o warning, that was ok with me, b/c that was around the time the economy was in the tank. So in the mid of 2010 I called to have my CL dropped to 5K b/c  I only used the card for groceries & gas. So in late 2012, I added my brother as an AU on my acct b/c he was on a fixed income due to suffering a stroke. Now, from January 2013 to March 31, 2013, I kid you not, I have received a total of 7 automatic CL increases, which brought my CL to 35K. This has really baffled me for my income is the same, Credit score the same & my brother does not help pay towards my monthly payment. So what do u guys think?

It is important to distinguish Amex Financial Review vs 4506T for a CLI request. These two are not the same and largely perpetuated due to slight differences in language of posts on the forums. Sorry this is not a knock on you, so please accept my apologies if it is coming of in a different way.

To get better data points, can you please calrify if your account(s) was/were suspended after you requested the 30K CL? Did you have any other Amex accounts? Were those functional or suspended after you made the request? Any charge cards that had a hard limit set till you passed the 4506T review?

Message 18 of 26
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@L-TWT wrote:

I have been a member with AMEX since 2006, and all in all, my experience has been excellent. If I can remember correctly when I first opened my acct my starting CL was ~2K and has grown to 30K w/o any automatic increases, all self initiated SP's VIA the online automative system. So to answer ever1's queation, the automative system will allow approves over 25K, but will try trigger AMEX to FR your acct. With that said my acct was FR'd, I submitted the paper work and 30K CL OK'd. Around 2009/2010 CL dropped to 6.7K w/o warning, that was ok with me, b/c that was around the time the economy was in the tank. So in the mid of 2010 I called to have my CL dropped to 5K b/c  I only used the card for groceries & gas. So in late 2012, I added my brother as an AU on my acct b/c he was on a fixed income due to suffering a stroke. Now, from January 2013 to March 31, 2013, I kid you not, I have received a total of 7 automatic CL increases, which brought my CL to 35K. This has really baffled me for my income is the same, Credit score the same & my brother does not help pay towards my monthly payment. So what do u guys think?

It is important to distinguish Amex Financial Review vs 4506T for a CLI request. These two are not the same and largely perpetuated due to slight differences in language of posts on the forums. Sorry this is not a knock on you, so please accept my apologies if it is coming of in a different way.

To get better data points, can you please calrify if your account(s) was/were suspended after you requested the 30K CL? Did you have any other Amex accounts? Were those functional or suspended after you made the request? Any charge cards that had a hard limit set till you passed the 4506T review?

Would u please be so kind to explain the difference btw a FR & 4506T? B/C when i was FR'd I was required to fax in the 4506T forms W/I 24-48hrs after CL requested!

And yes, my acct was temporarly suspended until forms received by AMEX. Lastly, I did not have an AMEX charge card w/a hard limit.

Message 19 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'm not trying to sound rude, but that isn't answering my question....
Im trying to figure out if I add an AU to my account.. Said AU has NO credit!! Will their credit report have an impact on my Amex Acount...?
Does Amex have the authority to adjust my account based on an AU's credit history...or SP this AUs credit report?
I would not want to be the recipient of AA based on an AU's credit history...
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.