Valued Contributor

Re: I just got my second card: approved for Walmart Discover for $2200

Nicely done....you are on your way!!

Message 11 of 19
Thorin
Valued Member

@Sophiamarie wrote:

You applied for the store card and got the Discover card?

Applied in store for the store card since I really just wanted the TU score and figured that would give me the best chance of approval. When I called, I was told I was approved for the Discover.

Message 12 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Thorin wrote:

@Sophiamarie wrote:

You applied for the store card and got the Discover card?

Applied in store for the store card since I really just wanted the TU score and figured that would give me the best chance of approval. When I called, I was told I was approved for the Discover.

When you apply, they give you the Discover first, if you qualify for it. If you don't, then they consider you for the store card. So, you only get the store cc when you don't qualify for Discover. Smiley Frustrated

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 19
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

all this luv and to think i just recently closed my wal. discover a week ago which had a 7k limit. sorry, but i just couldn't deal with the idea of a card with a 23% apr; and as much as i enjoy hanging out at walmart, i wont allow myself to shop there. i believe in shopping smaller if you can.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 14 of 19
Thorin
Valued Member

@bichonmom wrote:

When you apply, they give you the Discover first, if you qualify for it. If you don't, then they consider you for the store card. So, you only get the store cc when you don't qualify for Discover. Smiley Frustrated

Ah, okay.  That makes sense.

@scottwagnon wrote:

all this luv and to think i just recently closed my wal. discover a week ago which had a 7k limit. sorry, but i just couldn't deal with the idea of a card with a 23% apr; and as much as i enjoy hanging out at walmart, i wont allow myself to shop there. i believe in shopping smaller if you can.

I don't intentionally shop at Walmart much, but I often find little stuff there that I need and can't get anywhere else nearby.  They've become my backup for stuff I can't wait to get online.

Message 15 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Thorin wrote:

I just got my first credit card about 6 months ago with Capital One and this month it was bumped from a $500 CL to $750.  I paid it off in full and had no credit history otherwise.

Tonight I had to go into Wal-mart to pick up some stuff after everything else was closed and decided to try for the non-Discover Walmart card again (I was denied about 8 months ago for no credit history).  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured if I was denied I could always use it as an excuse to look up my credit reports early and see what was going on.

I ended up not being able to do it in my store because the social was entered wrong and I had to call up.  When I called up, I went through 2 holds of about 4 minutes each and answering a couple of those generic questions (Did you have a mortgage at such and such a time) I had to wait again for a decision.  By the time, I was expecting the worst.  The woman came back on the phone and told me I was approved for $2,200 Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I was really astonished, I've seen other threads where people with a much better credit score than I have were approved for only a $600 CL.  I'm not complaining, just very surprised Man LOL

wtg!! congrats!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 19
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Super congrats to you! I want to apply for the WM Discover but I'm probably going to wait until summer and let my new cards age a bit. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 17 of 19
Thorin
Valued Member

Thanks everyone!

@frogfan12 wrote:

Super congrats to you! I want to apply for the WM Discover but I'm probably going to wait until summer and let my new cards age a bit. 

Not sure what your AAoA is, but mine was only about 6-7 months.  

Message 18 of 19
liandur
Valued Member

Hard or soft pull for cli by phone GECRB HH GREGG?

UPDATE: hard pull Experian auto approval by phone request...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.