cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep wanting to apply for the Chase Freedom but scared I might get denied.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I keep wanting to apply for the Chase Freedom but scared I might get denied.

Are you currently chase customer? I mean do you have checking/savings account or any type of relationship with them? If so, it is easy to get started with them when it comes to credit card. Way back in 2009 I did not have enough credit history, but I had checking account with direct deposit of my salary with them. Whenver I applied chase card it was never approved. I met a personal banker at the chase and told my situation. He put in application for chase freedon in the branch, it was declined, but he asked me to get the the denial letter once I get it in the mail. I did, and he was able to get the decision reversed and I started my credit journey with chase freedom with SL $500.

What I have seen is to get started with credit cards from Chase and US Bank, they give weightage to the existing banking relationships ( It does not mean, if you don't have banking relationship, you will not get  it, just to clearify ) with them. Once you are in with one credit card product, you are on your own. 

I know, Chase bank is not there in every state! 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I keep wanting to apply for the Chase Freedom but scared I might get denied.

I went against my better judgement and applied and got the 7-10 day message. I called to recon and still denied. This sucks.
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, one year of credit history is almost a must with Chase. They easily turn down people with shorter history, even for Freedom. Having a checking account with them could also help and they very often offer sign-up bonuses for that as well, if you don't already have an account.

I went against my better judgement and applied and got the 7-10 day message called to recon and still got denied. This sucks but oh well. Should I call again?

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol after all that advice you tried anyway... gosh lol. sorry for the denial but you were very thoroughly informed
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to say...didn't you decide last Friday to wait? Oh well, GL. 

Message 15 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Freedom card. I have 2 cards Capital One Quicksilver that was PC'd from a Platinum card ($2,300 CL) which I've had for 8 months now. I got approved for a Discover It about a month ago with a CL of $1,250. With only 8 months of history do I stand a chance to be approved for the Freedom? When I go to the Chase site I don't prequalify for any of their cards. I would like some opinions. My credit scores are 724 across the board. Thanks in advance!

Scores matter.  I did not get a pre qualify from chase until I had the Amazon Visa (which has since been closed and rolled into Freedon).  Cold apping is okay, as long as no derogs on file.

Signature needs updating
Message 16 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, one year of credit history is almost a must with Chase. They easily turn down people with shorter history, even for Freedom. Having a checking account with them could also help and they very often offer sign-up bonuses for that as well, if you don't already have an account.

I went against my better judgement and applied and got the 7-10 day message called to recon and still got denied. This sucks but oh well. Should I call again?

You never stated what your scores were, nor current util.  These are factors when apping.  I have been able to buck the rules with low util, but showing heavy usage and payments, and scores well over 700. 

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP says scores were 724..
Message 18 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OP says scores were 724..

Odd, I did not see that.  Something else spooked them, maybe derogs, utilization.  Hard to be under 730 without something not kosher (trust me, I know).

Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 20
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Freedom card. I have 2 cards Capital One Quicksilver that was PC'd from a Platinum card ($2,300 CL) which I've had for 8 months now. I got approved for a Discover It about a month ago with a CL of $1,250. With only 8 months of history do I stand a chance to be approved for the Freedom? When I go to the Chase site I don't prequalify for any of their cards. I would like some opinions. My credit scores are 724 across the board. Thanks in advance!

Scores matter.  I did not get a pre qualify from chase until I had the Amazon Visa (which has since been closed and rolled into Freedon).  Cold apping is okay, as long as no derogs on file.

Having a relationship with Chase definitely helps.  The Chase Amazon was my fist card and started with a $300 limit.  But it grew very quickly and now Chase is the easiest credit card company for me to get approved with and by far the MOST generous in terms of limits.  

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.