cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I shouldn't.... I really want an AMEX too!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I shouldn't.... I really want an AMEX too!

Okay. So, I'd like to think I'm in better control of myself, but I would really like to add an AMEX to the family. I have 1 inq on EX. 5 on EQ and 1 on TU. I am debating waiting to app for a revolver. But, I have no history with them and not sure that's the way to go.

I'm still in a window where a couple of my new accounts haven't reported yet. No baddies. Any good advice ou there on which would be a good card to go for? At this piont,

I'll probably wind up waiting... Better judgement is calling my name and well... AMEX is kinda intimidating.

I'm supposed to be in the garden.... I know, I know...

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: I know I shouldn't.... I really want an AMEX too!

What cards and length of history do you have? 

AMEX wants a minimum of two cards with more than a year of history, if you have that it shouldn't be a problem your scores are more than good enough. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 32
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

If you have 1 yr history and low util%, you may be a good canidate for at least the Zync.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

AMEX wants a minimum of two cards with more than a year of history, if you have that it shouldn't be a problem your scores are more than good enough. 

@I have six revolvers with CL's over 5k but none over $15k and AAoA is @ 4 years. My history is clean and @ 10 years. I'm not looking for them to match the limits but want to build a relationship. More concerned about them reviewing my recent apps and whether I should hold off.

Message 4 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@I have six revolvers with CL's over 5k but none over $15k and AAoA is @ 4 years. My history is clean and @ 10 years. I'm not looking for them to match the limits but want to build a relationship. More concerned about them reviewing my recent apps and whether I should hold off.

I think you would be fine for a AMEX revolver.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

With those scores the only card you can't get instant approval for is the centerion. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Message 6 of 32
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I think the "two cards with more than one year history" requirement seem to be not that strict. 

I have been recently approved for BCE (instantly, not after recon) with lower scores (around 710-720) and with my oldest account at 11 months mark (so the second oldest was more like 9 months of history).

Obviously my limit on BCE is not that huge but it is in line with what other lenders can give me now, I suppose. I also hope to try to ask for CLI after 61 days...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 7 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

I think the "two cards with more than one year history" requirement seem to be not that strict. 

I have been recently approved for BCE (instantly, not after recon) with lower scores (around 710-720) and with my oldest account at 11 months mark (so the second oldest was more like 9 months of history).

Obviously my limit on BCE is not that huge but it is in line with what other lenders can give me now, I suppose. I also hope to try to ask for CLI after 61 days...

Since you have a bunch of TL's like you do they may reduce it a bit, the two card rule is for people with thin files. People with one card showing probably shouldn't bother. 

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

With those scores the only card you can't get instant approval for is the centerion. 

They weren't always that way. I had higher util earlier on this year and have worked all year to get it down to under 15%. I was hovering in the lower 700's because of that for a long time. I wish I would have knowm about this board back then. 

Message 9 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Amex would like to have more than 5% of the credit market its hard to get over 760, Your scores are awesome, I got my AMEX Blue with a 6k limit with 15months AAoA and oldest account about 3 years and a 720 score.  

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.