cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I shouldn't.... I really want an AMEX too!

tag
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: I know I shouldn't.... I really want an AMEX too!

You should not have anyproblem getting a AMEX revolver, you only problem is which one to choose.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 11 of 32
android01
Valued Contributor

Based on your scores and history, I'd say you could get approved for any of AMEX's revolvers you'd like.  Your stated history precludes you from having to get an AMEX charge card just to "get in the door".  I would recommend the Blue Cash Preferred if you are so inclined, but if you are a Delta airlines customer, there is anecdotal eveidence that the Delta gold card is the easiest revolver to get.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 12 of 32
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Another seeking the warm, fuzzy Amex feeling. Smiley Happy

I really like the BCP.

Amex does have a pre-approval link on their website. Might give an idea of what to expect. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 32
A_Madel
Contributor

@android01 wrote:

Based on your scores and history, I'd say you could get approved for any of AMEX's revolvers you'd like.  Your stated history precludes you from having to get an AMEX charge card just to "get in the door".  I would recommend the Blue Cash Preferred if you are so inclined, but if you are a Delta airlines customer, there is anecdotal eveidence that the Delta gold card is the easiest revolver to get.  

I was actually checking BCE and BCP out. I was just being cautious with my approach considering how sensitive they are. Thx for the advice.

Current: EQ 791 / TU 788 / EX 752 FICO's (MyFico, Oct 2012)

*** NFCU Plat | USAA CR Amex | PenFed TR Amex | BOA Gold | JP Morgan Select | Amex BCP | Amex PRG | USAA Plat ***
Message 14 of 32
A_Madel
Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Another seeking the warm, fuzzy Amex feeling. Smiley Happy

I really like the BCP.

Amex does have a pre-approval link on their website. Might give an idea of what to expect. Smiley Happy

Yep! That would be me Smiley Happy I tried the site and it doesn't work for me. I am at a military location and it doesn't like my address. 

Current: EQ 791 / TU 788 / EX 752 FICO's (MyFico, Oct 2012)

*** NFCU Plat | USAA CR Amex | PenFed TR Amex | BOA Gold | JP Morgan Select | Amex BCP | Amex PRG | USAA Plat ***
Message 15 of 32
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

id like an amex. 

was thinking about apping but already high with my inquries. 

TotalActive
Experian 53/2

Transunion32/2
Equifax 44/1

active is inquriy is less then 1 year old.  after the slash its the active inquries until july '13

with a bunch falling off in feb (which  i wanted to apply in december but since half of those inquries will be over a year on feb 6th)

chase freedom has not reported my tradeline to tu as of yet but have already printed a statement. and ive pif kind of. 

i dont think ill get approved so im staying in the garden until feb most likely. (but i really want the backdate of this year!)

my aaoa dropped from 1.9 years to 9.5 months and 8.2 months after freedom reports. i should have done amex first but it was before i even really starting being active whatsoever on this forum. 

young and dumb staying out of all this fun!Man Sad

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 16 of 32
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

I would say your a lock for a revolver, go 4 it.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 17 of 32
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

I would say your a lock for a revolver, go 4 it.

me?

which one? lol. 

which beauru do they pull? 

ive read ex. 

i have 5 total and 1 falls of my report next week (chase) and another for my macys card 12/21/12 (doomsday?) (both 2 years old) 

im just worried they would deny me and id waste a hard pull. the other three are one cap one and the other 2 are chase pulls 8 months old/ 6 months/ last month. 

thats IF they pull experian. 

im just overthinking and should go to sleep before i do something dumb like app for it.

edit: btw my util is messed up for this month because of new cards and no statement date for me. 

i paid them the day of not knowing the satement came out already. 

all cards are 0 balance except one. so 671/8100 credit limit in reality =/ 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 18 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mikka1 wrote:

I think the "two cards with more than one year history" requirement seem to be not that strict. 

I have been recently approved for BCE (instantly, not after recon) with lower scores (around 710-720) and with my oldest account at 11 months mark (so the second oldest was more like 9 months of history).

Obviously my limit on BCE is not that huge but it is in line with what other lenders can give me now, I suppose. I also hope to try to ask for CLI after 61 days...

That's interesting mikka; I know there's a lot of FUD on Amex underwriting (Zync FWIW has almost always been six months history from pretty much everything I've read except recently here), but if your Amex was recent I can't say I'm surprised.  Chase and BOFA are two of Amex's largest competitors, and both of them are racing to the bottom with loosening up their underwriting standards seemingly.

We know pretty much conclusively Freedom is down to the 630 mark if not lower, BOFA added their 1-2-3 rewards to their secured card and made their counter-offer card a lot easier to obtain as well; while the BCE/BCP have always been somewhat higher than the Freedom for obvious reasons, it wouldn't surprise me if Amex is being pushed by the same macroeconomic issues which is causing most other lenders to pursue new customers in the credit card market... especially as both cards are admittedly better than the Zync or other charge cards for non-travellers other than the Zync's bonus packs.

About Citi is the only one I really haven't seen much on but their Forward card seems to have gone down to at least Discover More levels if not lower, which was right around Freedom's initial minimum requirements.

It's a good time to be moving up in the FICO world.  Not certain how long it's going to last but I'm hoping till the end of the year at least.

Edit and PS: OP - you're an instant approval for either the BCE or BCP unless you've misrepresented yourself.  You're among the gold-plated credit elite, just reach out and take the approval if you want either of them.

        
Message 19 of 32
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Op,you are fine for revolver.  Very good chance for approval.  I would app before new accounts hit.  Also, they likely will pull ex which you only have 1 inquiry on.  Btw, I saw you said you are on military base.  Are you eligible for nfcu?  If so I would join while you are eligible.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.