Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live abroad, successful app: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I live overseas, applied for CC: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

Does Amex operate in Australia? 

If so get an Australian Amex and then use Amex's Global Transfer program to open a US Amex. 

Alternately next time you are in the US (do you visit your family?) drop by a couple of local branches and explain your problem in peson in the branch. Try Chase, CITI, or Bank of America. They should be willing to help you and the guy in the branch can over-ride a lot of stuff. You aren't the only person in this situation. Be upfront about living overseas but tell them you spend considerable time in the US visiting family. 

There are also smaller banks that might be willing to work with you -- Banner Bank, Alliant CU. They have a track record of dealing with people outside the US. I'm sure there are more.

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I live abroad, successful app: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

Hope all works well but to piggyback Uncle B
You might want to consider using Pop's address as your 'base' station address in the States to keep it simple...
You can add like Unit B or #2 to the address to distinguish your mail ( used to do that at my old house, with no problem the letter carrier is gonna deliver to the 🏠@ 1234 Main Street with or without a Unit B...it's all the same mailbox to him)

Also, Dad can, honestly provide you with a lease (again, people do rent/lease rooms in their homes and the Office Max lease they use is THE lease
And the backroom is Unit C)

Like it or not the U.S. is one of a very few countries that REQUIRE their citizens to pay taxes NO MATTER where on God's green earth, we are... that's why you see certain folks give up their citizenship (Facebook guy, Tina Turner)

Anyway, using our credit system should be one of the 'perks' to go with the 'cost' of being a citizen....
If, I were you I would consider KEEPING a valid Driver's license or State I.D. (nobody says you have to be a driver) ( you pay taxes and other fees, what's another $20-$30 every 4 years)

Many times like here in California, renewals are auto stamped anyway, I know people who've gone 15 years on auto renew, no new pic, no DMV visit...just send the money 😊

Anyway, just some thoughts on how to perhaps have yourself set up for future scenarios with your bases covered and the least amount of hiccups

Also it appears you may want to develop some business credit, you said you AU'd on Dad's personal credit but have a 4 y.o. business you can build both profiles personal and business
Best of luck
Message 12 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hope all works well but to piggyback Uncle B
You might want to consider using Pop's address as your 'base' station address in the States to keep it simple...
You can add like Unit B or #2 to the address to distinguish your mail ( used to do that at my old house, with no problem the letter carrier is gonna deliver to the 🏠@ 1234 Main Street with or without a Unit B...it's all the same mailbox to him)

Also, Dad can, honestly provide you with a lease (again, people do rent/lease rooms in their homes and the Office Max lease they use is THE lease
And the backroom is Unit C)

Like it or not the U.S. is one of a very few countries that REQUIRE their citizens to pay taxes NO MATTER where on God's green earth, we are... that's why you see certain folks give up their citizenship (Facebook guy, Tina Turner)

Anyway, using our credit system should be one of the 'perks' to go with the 'cost' of being a citizen....
If, I were you I would consider KEEPING a valid Driver's license or State I.D. (nobody says you have to be a driver) ( you pay taxes and other fees, what's another $20-$30 every 4 years)

Many times like here in California, renewals are auto stamped anyway, I know people who've gone 15 years on auto renew, no new pic, no DMV visit...just send the money 😊

Anyway, just some thoughts on how to perhaps have yourself set up for future scenarios with your bases covered and the least amount of hiccups

Also it appears you may want to develop some business credit, you said you AU'd on Dad's personal credit but have a 4 y.o. business you can build both profiles personal and business
Best of luck

+1

This is basically what I did for a few years in the late 90s.  Smiley Happy

The only thing I would possibly mention is to use caution with 'customizing' your street address.  I found out the hard way that all US addresses are in a USPS database, and while the carrier will usually deliver it as long as it's remotely close you might have issues with creditor's automation if you add a unit or suite number that the USPS isn't aware of.  All the big banks have software that standardizes mailing addresses (they use it to get a break on the postage); an oddball address is more likely to get unwanted attention.

In my case my father was aware and familiar with the few pieces of mail I expected each month, so using the exact same address wasn't a problem.  As a 'plus', on the one-off chance somebody needed a utility bill I was able to provide one with my exact same address and last name, although I never had to deal with that. 

As long as my DL address, the address with the credit bureau, and the address on my app (or other paperwork) were all an exact match all was good.  I also made sure to type it exactly the way the USPS had it (in my case it was always 'Highway' instead of 'Hwy') to give myself the best chance of getting through the automation.

Message 13 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does Amex operate in Australia? 

If so get an Australian Amex and then use Amex's Global Transfer program to open a US Amex. 

I'm not sure that this would work any better, as with Global Transfer you again need to show that you are in the country, so this just adds another step.   Probably just easier to use family address and apply for a credit card with another bank.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with you Uncle B
But in 100% truth there are a gazillion people that legitimately rent ROOMS in private homes today
Making it much more common in today's economy vs 20-25 years ago in the 90's

Trust me there are plenty of bedrooms, literally labeled with Unit A, B or C on the actual doors no doubt
Lots of ppl rent and need the rent from these arrangements, which used to be kinda informal and no big deal
But since you have to evict ppl out of 'Unit A' all proper and legal like or your butt is in trouble this is way more common than folks may thing

What an economy we live in, sign of the new times

*Also just to note
Even years ago the cable company, phone company absolutely would install and bill Unit A or B with a separate bill, as a separate residence... all day long

The gas company and electric bigger deal but your 2 cable boxes ain't got nothing to do with MINE 😂
Message 15 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm with you Uncle B
But in 100% truth there are a gazillion people that legitimately rent ROOMS in private homes today
Making it much more common in today's economy vs 20-25 years ago in the 90's

Trust me there are plenty of bedrooms, literally labeled with Unit A, B or C on the actual doors no doubt
Lots of ppl rent and need the rent from these arrangements, which used to be kinda informal and no big deal
But since you have to evict ppl out of 'Unit A' all proper and legal like or your butt is in trouble this is way more common than folks may thing

What an economy we live in, sign of the new times

*Also just to note
Even years ago the cable company, phone company absolutely would install and bill Unit A or B with a separate bill, as a separate residence... all day long

The gas company and electric bigger deal but your 2 cable boxes ain't got nothing to do with MINE 😂

+1000

I hear ya!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep  your dl current. In my state we can renew on line.  You can also get a ringcentral phone number (voip) to mirror the area code and local phone numbers  for almost any major city.  For a client once we had to have an office in "their " town.  We got a small office for a few hundred dollars and added a ring central number for it to our telephone system. We always picked up the phone  back here it Smalltown.  No one ever figured out we were there only 1 or 2 days a month.  

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use iplum for the real phone number.

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everybody!  Some great advice there Smiley Happy

The AMEX Global Transfer option is one I'm already pursuing: I've just got to wait about another month before I can apply for the transfer.  And yes, as longtimelurker says, I'm a little concerned it may not go smoothly if I cannot appease them with all the info they want (especially if they want US numbers and addresses).  Maybe I should just use my parent's address as many have suggested on any new apps.

A phone number that I can use to receive validation codes from the bank/lender.. well, that problem's a little harder to solve.  I'm going to organize with my Mom to be ready to receive the text and then send it to me immediately.  If that doesn't work, I'll try one of the online numbers.  I haven't looked into iplum yet, but am just about to.

Will post back with results as they come.  Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Message 19 of 30
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

you prett much made a mistake at every step you could've made a mistake. Smiley Happy you might not be able to do enough in time to salvage this application.

in terms of address/phone number - pull your report and see what they say as your current address and phone number. That is what is raising flags.

But as UncleB said, it's only Synchrony. There's bigger and better fish out there. lick your wounds; more importantly learn what to do correctly next time; and try again.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.