cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm about to go on a massive purge. Should I app new cards first?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I'm about to go on a massive purge. Should I app new cards first?

Hello fellow MyFICOers. I've been in the garden for a long time, and staying out of these forums has helped elminate a lot of the temptation. I'm popping back in to give everyone an update on where I am, and what I'm thinking about doing. 

Currently, all my cards are paid off. The only card I use is my Quicksilver WMC, and only up to $500 for my monthly spend. I've been really good, and worked really hard to get to this point. My last HP was in May of 2016, when I got an $1,800 CLI on my BoA BBR. Capital One has stopped giving me anything decent on my QS, due to low utilization of the card limit. I got $750 last time, and $500 this time, but I honestly don't care about increasing it, since I stay below 10% utilization on it. 

So I have a ton of store cards that I'm going to get rid of, and I'll be killing off a couple of major cards as well. Alltogether, I'm cutting back to three/maybe four cards maximum. I'm keeping my Chase Freedom, and the QS WMC, and probably my BBR. The thing is, I'm not sure how all these closed lines are going to affect my scores. I'm also closing an auto loan and a personal loan this month, and I think it might be too much at once. 

I want to replace my BBR with the 123 cash rewards down the road, and I want the Visa signature version of the QS. Capital One will combine them after 6 months, but BoA is a little different. From what I understand, they'll combine cards, but use a HP to do it. So should I app the 123 cash rewards, then immediately call in to get the BBR limit moved over? This will result in the same HP being used, right? 

Should I app the Quicksilver and 123 cash rewards before closing these trade lines? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm about to go on a massive purge. Should I app new cards first?

The only way closing the card accounts will affect your scores is if it changes your UTI. Age wise it won't do anything until the accounts drop off your reports in about 10 years. Closing the auto and personal loans however will cause a drop in your scores unless you have another installment loan to take their place.
Message 2 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you're going minimalistic and simple with cutting the fat from your portfolio.  Your signature mentions you don't care about scores and you have a plan of action already.  Don't app or replace the number of accounts.  You really only need 3 cards if you're planning on something big like a mortgage.  Of course you'll take a small hit with the loans closing out but, hey, isn't the objective to be financially fit and debt free?  Isn't that why you put in the hard work to get where you are about to be?  

Message 3 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Sounds like you're going minimalistic and simple with cutting the fat from your portfolio.  Your signature mentions you don't care about scores and you have a plan of action already.  Don't app or replace the number of accounts.  You really only need 3 cards if you're planning on something big like a mortgage.  Of course you'll take a small hit with the loans closing out but, hey, isn't the objective to be financially fit and debt free?  Isn't that why you put in the hard work to get where you are about to be?  

^^^^^ This.  Very sound advice.  And actually, you're OP plan is very sound.  

To paraphrase "Who's Line Is It Anyway?", the scores really don't matter.  Most of the time.  If you've reached a score goal and are happy there, good on you!  If you're not applying for new credit, it really doesn't matter what your scores are, other than bragging rights.   You could always make your changes incrementally, allow the 2 loans to pay off and report, and then, depending on the number of the (ton) of store cards you have, close them in groups if you're more comfortable with that.  The UTI is what will take a hit, and may drop your score.  Or not.  But then, the scores don't matter... Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 15
fedxboy
Established Contributor

Skimming over your stuff briefly, I don't know why you'd want to give up the BBR card for the 123 card, since you'd get $100 back a year minimum vs 3% TOPs.  I don't know, I thought most people wanted to switch from the 123 to the BBR.

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 5 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@fedxboy wrote:

Skimming over your stuff briefly, I don't know why you'd want to give up the BBR card for the 123 card, since you'd get $100 back a year minimum vs 3% TOPs.  I don't know, I thought most people wanted to switch from the 123 to the BBR.

I don't see myself using my BBR every month after April/May. I think the 123 might be better suited to causal spend. 

I've also pondered the idea of dropping the BBR completely, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to. 

Message 6 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The BBR is simply awesome for BT offers! If i never get another Boa card, im happy. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

I don't see myself using my BBR every month after April/May. I think the 123 might be better suited to causal spend. 

I've also pondered the idea of dropping the BBR completely, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to. 

You do know that you only need to spend, like, $25 per month on your casual spend (with what will be a much more limited wallet of cards) to get that $100 back per year? $300 per year for a 30% cash back?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

You do know that you only need to spend, like, $25 per month on your casual spend (with what will be a much more limited wallet of cards) to get that $100 back per year? $300 per year for a 30% cash back?

You can spend much much lower than that. $25 is to be absolutely completely safe about getting the bonus but it's unnecessary. I have a $6 monthly charge on it and collect $30 each quarter yum yum 166% cash back
Message 9 of 15
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I thought Cap One was going all MC on the QS line.  Just looking at their website now it shows the QS as a WEMC.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.