cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm applying for a new card to improve my credit but which card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm applying for a new card to improve my credit but which card?

Hey all,

I'm trying to improve my credit. Based on all I've read, applying for and being granted a card that you use responsibly is one of the best ways to do it. At present I have only one credit card (Citibank Mastercard) with a $2800 limit.

Can anybody suggest a card that they've been happy with and issued by a company that put favorable things into your credit reports? I'm also about to open a new bank account with BoA. Would it make sense to just get a card through them? Obviously I want to apply for a card that I'll be approved for!

Finally, will applying for a credit card and getting the associated inquiry hurt my score in the short term?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Aaron
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I'm applying for a new card to improve my credit but which card?

If you only have one open revolving account, I doubt that you'll get even a temporary score dip. I'm guessing an increase right off the bat.

I'd definitely try out BofA, if you don't have recent stinky stuff, or if you didn't burn them in the past.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm applying for a new card to improve my credit but which card?

I'd consider a store charge card like Macys. I started in August with 0 CCs and saw a bump when I was approved for my 3rd or 4th CC which was Macys. I too don't think you'll have a score hit.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.