cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm split between the BCP and the green card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm split between the BCP and the green card.

The only word of caution I'd offer is that if you decide you want BCP you may want to wait a little longer until your EX08 is over 700. Amex core revolvers are subject to their highest tier of underwriting, and waiting a bit longer would help your odds of a good limit.

Message 11 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The only word of caution I'd offer is that if you decide you want BCP you may want to wait a little longer until your EX08 is over 700. Amex core revolvers are subject to their highest tier of underwriting, and waiting a bit longer would help your odds of a good limit.

Perhaps, but regardless how long of a wait, I'd guess OP will be starting at $1k or $2k on a revolver. Nothing wrong with that, I got a $2k Delta Gold card in 2013 as my first modern AMEX. The limits can grow quickly with a clean file.  

Has the OP considered the Blue Cash? 3% at qualifying grocery stores, which is an important note since large swaths of "grocery" spend does not get categorized as groceries by AMEX on any of their cards.  Best to learn that on a no-AF card, and then see if an upgrade bonus offer appears after 12 months to move to BCP, or consider Gold.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps, but regardless how long of a wait, I'd guess OP will be starting at $1k or $2k on a revolver. Nothing wrong with that, I got a $2k Delta Gold card in 2013 as my first modern AMEX. The limits can grow quickly with a clean file.  

Has the OP considered the Blue Cash? 3% at qualifying grocery stores, which is an important note since large swaths of "grocery" spend does not get categorized as groceries by AMEX on any of their cards.  Best to learn that on a no-AF card, and then see if an upgrade bonus offer appears after 12 months to move to BCP, or consider Gold.  

All very good points. I have BCP and tend to forget there's the BCE as an alternative Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All very good points. I have BCP and tend to forget there's the BCE as an alternative Smiley Happy

No no no no!!!! You're forgetting that BCP has NO ANNUAL FEE for the first year, EXACTLY so you can try it out and then see if you get enough out of it! Along with the higher signup bonus, you should DEFINITELY start with the BCP and then downgrade if you see you aren't getting enough out of it that first year to merit paying the AF the second year.

SD - Biz -
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ wish I had that option a couple years ago when I got the card. My AF was billed on the first statement lol.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.