Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm stranded in Prague

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm stranded in Prague

I had to attend a conference in Prague, Czech Republic with a couple of my friends about our studies. I've brought my Chase Freedom and AMEX BCE. My friends and i wanted to get something to eat, and we ate and paid separately. Of course, I decided to pay with BCE and BAM. Just after 4 days of using it, I've got F/Red.. I decided to use Chase Freedom for the rest of my stays, and BAM.. Chase froze my card as well.

I'm currently staying at the Embassy of the United States, so one of my family members can escrow some money, which I can receive it..

This is EMBARASSING!! but HAHA

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm stranded in Prague

you should have informed both of them before you left. call them now if you can have them leftvit
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 52
mxp114
Valued Contributor

FR? That's terrible. Good luck and hope everything work's out.

Message 3 of 52
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

This sounds a little bit like a spam email that spoofed my name and was sent out to a bunch of my friends/relatives.  (stranded in London.)  Most didn't reply, a few got angry that we "asked" for help, and one offered to send a small bit of money.  LOL.  Not laughing at your situation.  Glad you have several cards!

Frequent Contributor

Wow! That stinks! I'm sorry. I find it odd that both cards would do that to you at the same time. I wonder if something happened that raised a flag. AMEX always tells me I do not have to notify them of travel so I never do and haven't had a problem.  However, all my other cards suggest you do so. Most have online travel notification inputs so you can do it without calling. That is what I do now and do not have a problem. 

That stinks still about your situation. Smiley Sad Good luck!~

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 5 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow sorry to hear that happened, I'd be quite frustrated in your shoes. At least you're keeping a good attitude about it!

Did you let the credit card companies know you would be traveling? I know they say you don't have to but that + the newness of the accounts might have spooked them.

I have a couple international trips this year and it makes me wonder if I should even bring my credit cards. In the past, I've only carried cash but a couple of my cards have rewards that would offset the foreign transaction fees so I was considering doing it that way, but only if it would simplify my life.

Message 6 of 52
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

As far as AMEX, I would have told them that it is the only card you have with you and to see if they could keep it on until you are back in the USA or your home country (wherever that may be). If they ever did that to me and refused to re-activate while on vacation,  I'd cancel them right on the spot and tell them to go sc*ew.  What a disservice that is to someone.  It is exactly why I carry multiple cards with me from 3 different companies, you never know!

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 7 of 52
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

Same here. I always bring an MC plus a Visa.  I never know when AMEX will FR me. Am scared --- had the card for a year now since then no FR yet.

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I thought It was okay for me to not notify them of my trips to use my card as they could see my spending at the airports already. (IND-NYC-London-Prague) I didn't even use a lot, as I only spent about a moderate amount of 120 Euros (About 160 dollars?) I called AMEX and notified them the situation, and was transferred to F/R department. As I explained my situation, the lady I was speaking to was ADAMENT on getting my tax return or some sort of form.  I told her It wasn't possible at the moment to send her or the department the form since I'm stranded in a foreign country without the ability to use the card at all. She told me, "I am sorry to hear that, but In order to authorize the use of your card, It will take 7 to 10 business days after the department has the chance to review the documents once you send them in."

I am not mad at AMEX since it's their best interest to protect any unauthorized use or fraud of the card in case it happen

Now when I come to think about it, I don't think i have ever filed a tax return in the United States, as I have always been getting my foreign assets wired to my checking account in the United States. In addition, the wire transfer (usually up to amount of 38k to 45k a year) is non-taxable according to numerous CPAs I have talked to.

Well, I am just itching to get back to the States to find out more. I guess it's better to be hit with this kind of stuff earlier.

Message 9 of 52
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Thats crazy !

im traveling out of the country next month and im taking my Plat for the no foriegn transaction fees. if they close me all 5 of my cards will be canceled and no im not going to tell them in traveling 1st Smiley Happy as the original poster said i bought the ticket on the plat and already paid it off....

We shall see...

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.