Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a huge boo boo with barclays

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a huge boo boo with barclays

I thought there was intro 0% apr period on my Barclay's cash forward and since I normally keep it paid off I never noticed there wasn't one. 

I used it for Christmas shopping thinking I had 8 months left of 0% apr and figured I would make use of it, but I got charged interest this month!

This is the first time in 3 years of my credit rebuild that I have paid interest on a card... I guess after 15 credit cards I'm bound to make a mistake

I posted this to ask if anyone knows if they did have a 0% intro apr period and I'm just getting the short stick or if I really goofed and the Barclay cash forward never had an intro 0% apr period, I wonder this because I feel like you can't really trust barclays. I have already searched my statement high and low and found no text about promotional period.

I'm really feeling the shame and even more so anger that I goofed.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: I made a huge boo boo with barclays

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought there was intro 0% apr period on my Barclay's cash forward and since I normally keep it paid off I never noticed there wasn't one. 

I used it for Christmas shopping thinking I had 8 months left of 0% apr and figured I would make use of it, but I got charged interest this month!

This is the first time in 3 years of my credit rebuild that I have paid interest on a card... I guess after 15 credit cards I'm bound to make a mistake

I posted this to ask if anyone knows if they did have a 0% intro apr period and I'm just getting the short stick or if I really goofed and the Barclay cash forward never had an intro 0% apr period, I wonder this because I feel like you can't really trust barclays. I have already searched my statement high and low and found no text about promotional period.

Quick search on the web shows that there was a 12 month 0% APR on purchases in Feb 2016, by Nov 2016 this had become 0% on BT only.  So you may have applied on the BT only offer, or Barclays may have messed up.    I assume no screen shots.....!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a very similar issue with my Barclay Cash Forward card.  I applied for it through a credit karma 'approval odds' link.  It showed on credit karma that it had a 0% interest rate for 12 months.  I applied through that link back in Jan of 2016 and was approved.  A few months later, I too noticed that I had a interest rate charge on my account.  I called them and they said that when I applied there was no such offer and refused to honor that since I didn't have any screenshots on the Barclay page showing it.  The lady who I talked to at Barclay could see on credit karma that it was showing a interest free period for that card so she sent a case up for them to review it. A few weeks later I called in to check on the status and they told me that they checked their system and no such offer was available at that time. I just paid off the balance immediately and they refunded me the interest I paid.  Oddly enough, in July 2016 they ended up giving me a 1 year interest free period that runs through July 2017.  I think they did some further research or were somehow maybe made aware of a glitch in their system and  later found out that I should have been eligible for it all along. 

I would call them if I were you and have them research it.  At the very least they may waive that interest charge from your previous purchases.  Hopefully they end up extending you a full year of interest free.

Message 3 of 14
rooeez
Regular Contributor

It should be in the terms of conditions/documents mailed to you when you opened the account.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My application date was October 4th 2016!

It must have just changed which is why I thought there was an intro period!

That's really frustrating. I've already paid the whole card off this morning fuming from the ears, getting bit because I thought I'd keep cash in hand rather then pay it off.

I'm not going to war over $20, I made $170 off them or $150 after the interest charge.

I'm going to find my mailed ppw that came with the card, if there's no mention of 0% intro period there I'm just gonna close the card, I'm not going to wait around for the seemingly inevitable AA.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case the interest rate was only 7 bucks.  It was more principal to me.  Once my interest free rate is up I'll most likely close my Barclay account since it is my lowest limit and not very rewarding IMO.  I would rather put the monthly spend through another card.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I am pre aprroved for a citi DC but I'm going to wait until this time next year to let my inquires fall off in hopes I get a decent starting limit then.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your only true boo boo here is getting in bed with Barclays in the first place.

Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@rooeez wrote:

It should be in the terms of conditions/documents mailed to you when you opened the account.

Do they always contain such details?  I know the bonus is rarely included, which is why screenshots of the app are recommended.

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your only true boo boo here is getting in bed with Barclays in the first place.

Yes, I am REALLY glad that I never had two of their horrible Sallie Mae cards for three years.  Oh wait, no I'm not.     Some people have issues with Barclays, for others, where the cards make sense, it is fine/     And in this case, Barclays is hardly the only issuer where people have had problems with not getting the bonuses/terms that they applied  for (or maybe think they applied for!)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.