cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I maybe crazy but I do use Barclay AA cents, does anyone else?

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

I maybe crazy but I do use Barclay AA cents, does anyone else?

About a couple a months ago I switched my daily coffee to Micky D's from 5Bucks and DD.  So for $1.07 I get a large coffee rounded to $2 I get 49 miles for that purchase.  I know it's 2 cent per mile but I was paying $2.62 for SB and $2.26 for DD for a medium, oh sorry venti at $5Bucks..........

Does anyone else find value or are you strickly totally against the Barclay cents @ 2 cents per mile.  It's like a AA piggy bank for me, I lose $200+- a year on the street in Homeless cup donations......

It's the only reason I took my Barclays AA out of the SD.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: I maybe crazy but I do use Barclay AA cents, does anyone else?

Barclay's "AA" has a whole nother meaning some on this forum.

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Whatever makes you happySmiley Wink Coffee up!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neat trick, and great if it works for you.  I just looked at the details and for me it doesn't seem worth it.  I'm not into buying miles, especially at 2¢ each.

Personally, I have a different use for small transactions and my sockdrawer full of Barclay (and a few other) cards; spend a small amount in one or more transactions (totally 1.99 or more), pay it down to 99¢ before statement date, and get the 99¢ written off.  Downside versus the AA deal is, of course, you can only get one 99¢ credit per cycle.  But I've got enough SD cards that I can use up most of my small transactions each month.  To each his own...

Chris

Message 4 of 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I’ve looked into it and 2 cents a mile isn’t a good deal. You can do better during mileage sales.

AA miles are worth 1.5CPP on average with F/J partner awards averaging around 3CPP.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I’ve looked into it and 2 cents a mile isn’t a good deal. You can do better during mileage sales.

AA miles are worth 1.5CPP on average with F/J partner awards averaging around 3CPP.

No it isn't a good deal but for the few cents thrown at aa miles it's bad to augment the miles from flying, dining and shopping portal.  I see the value of paying $2 for my coffee instead on just buying miles.  I'll never miss the 93 cents and I'm now spending less on my daily coffee than I was months ago.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This isn't really related, but on the subject of daily coffee, I found it really adds up and not in a good way. Even at ~$2 a day, you're looking at $40 a month. Maybe for some that's not a lot of money, but to me when I calculated it out like that it seemed excessive. Bringing coffee to work has saved me more money than any CC points I'd get from charging the coffee. I still occasionally treat myself, but definitely not daily anymore.

Message 7 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

This isn't really related, but on the subject of daily coffee, I found it really adds up and not in a good way. Even at ~$2 a day, you're looking at $40 a month. Maybe for some that's not a lot of money, but to me when I calculated it out like that it seemed excessive. Bringing coffee to work has saved me more money than any CC points I'd get from charging the coffee. I still occasionally treat myself, but definitely not daily anymore.

Chump change kdm, chump change.....Sometimes I stop on the way home from work to stay awake for the 40 minute drive plus weekends when we are out and about, more like over $700 annually......Oops maybe triple that to include DW coffee, she's strickly SB for morning coffee and green tea for the afternoon, yes she has an addiction,lol.

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Chump change kdm, chump change.....Sometimes I stop on the way home from work to stay awake for the 40 minute drive plus weekends when we are out and about, more like over $700 annually......Oops maybe triple that to include DW coffee, she's strickly SB for morning coffee and green tea for the afternoon, yes she has an addiction,lol.

Right, but then the amount you save from switching is also chump change!

Message 9 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Right, but then the amount you save from switching is also chump change!

It is, I never said I didn't like value for my dollars spent.  If the price is raised to $2 for coffee then there is no value to me so then it doesn't matter where I stop, card goes back into the SD.  It's a value proposition to me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.