cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a Visa or master Card

tag
new-to-this

I need a Visa or master Card

Hello all. This froum is great and you guys are a huge help.  So heres my situaltion.  I receanly applied for an Amex Gold after I got an invite in the mail.  I  applied and was instantly approved 2-2013.  I really wanted the PRG,I didnt know the differece then, but appiled for the PRG and was approved in 3-2013. Then canceled the gregular gold. I applied for the costo amex and was approed in 4-2013.  I was really supprised they gave me a revolver. I never thought I would ever get an amex, I thought it was only for Rich people. But now I have 3 hard puls on my EX report. I have one Unpaid medical collection from 2008 less than 20. AAoA about 5 years with the new cards. My only revolver is a  Discover it card  that is almost 2 years old. I got a SP incase on that finally. I was eyeing the Chase freedom to get in with them, and citi has sent me a few pre approvals in the mail, should I just wait to apply? What are my chances with maybe chase or Citi?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: I need a Visa or master Card

On the surface, since you have been approved by AMEX , you would seem to be in good position for the Freedom.  Do you know your scores?

Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

If scores are good IMO freedom would be a good choice However you need to know how many INQ's as a result of the Amex app's because chase can be INQ sensitive at times and Amex does pull more than 1 CB sometimes on first app

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

+1

you may want to think about APing for a prime card that doesn't usually pull EX for best results and better starting limit, don't want all the INQ's freak out the lender.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 7
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Barclays pull TU and they have some travel and cash back cards, so that could be a possibility for you.  Then you can garden, let some of those other inquiries age and maybe go for Freedom.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 7
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

Barclays pull TU and they have some travel and cash back cards, so that could be a possibility for you.  Then you can garden, let some of those other inquiries age and maybe go for Freedom.

Sallie Mae is a good pick from them.  5% at amazon and grocery. 

Message 6 of 7
eagles08
Regular Contributor

@new-to-this wrote:

Hello all. This froum is great and you guys are a huge help.  So heres my situaltion.  I receanly applied for an Amex Gold after I got an invite in the mail.  I  applied and was instantly approved 2-2013.  I really wanted the PRG,I didnt know the differece then, but appiled for the PRG and was approved in 3-2013. Then canceled the gregular gold. I applied for the costo amex and was approed in 4-2013.  I was really supprised they gave me a revolver. I never thought I would ever get an amex, I thought it was only for Rich people. But now I have 3 hard puls on my EX report. I have one Unpaid medical collection from 2008 less than 20. AAoA about 5 years with the new cards. My only revolver is a  Discover it card  that is almost 2 years old. I got a SP incase on that finally. I was eyeing the Chase freedom to get in with them, and citi has sent me a few pre approvals in the mail, should I just wait to apply? What are my chances with maybe chase or Citi?

I like the idea of the Freedom! Great card! I got instantly approved last month. They pulled my Experian and my Transunion.  I had 3 inquiries on Experian, one recently from AMEX, 0 on Transunion. I suggest you try their pre-qualification if you really want and if youre pre-qualified, go for it.  I think you'd have a good shot and if not, i gather that Chase is very recon friendly.  Good Luck!

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.