Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a better credit card!!!!!

tag
wynona01
Regular Contributor

I need a better credit card!!!!!

I currently have a First Premier Credit card it's just for credit rebuilding purpose only, I just recently obtained it in October, I only use it for small purchses and pay it off each month. I just received a notice in the mail that the interest will go up sometime in February. Now, the fees to this card already sucks, My current scores are TU 672 and EQ 660. I want to get another card based on those scores that will have a much better interest rate. I dont plan on closing First Premiere, I just will not use it anymore after February. But I will need another credit card to continue to help with my scores. I dont want to apply for too many to accure inquries on my credit report either. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should apply. I just got approved for a JC Penney store care with TU score. EX, is my worst score im currently still working on them. I also have an Imagine Credit Mastercard, but the company closed all accounts so I'm currenty paying that one off.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I need a better credit card!!!!!

Have you considered looking at credit unions? Many people posting here are very satisfied with that. I don't have a CC with my CU but have had several loans through them. They are very good to work with.

7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Macy's would be great

Citi bank with those scores if baddies are old

Capital One

Juniper 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a fan of Orchard Bank cards for rebuilding.  They do (mine did) have an annual fee, but they don't have all the additional fees you see on FP.  They're also very easy to manage online.

FICO likes to see a bank card - and Orchard qualifies.

Keep your apps down to avoid too many FICO points lost due to new accounts, and a loss in your AAofA.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend these two to you. My scores are lower than yours and I started with Credit One and then got these two to help me. These two links will PREQUALIFY you. They only do a soft pull and therefore do not affect your score. You put in your information and hit submit and then it will come back with either no offers or it will list one or more cards they have qualified you for. If you like one of the ones they come back with you select it and hit submit to process the final app and thats when they submit a hard inquiry for official approval. Both are quick easy and painless. They are both Household Bank cards. The first link is for regular household cards and the second is for the Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercards. The only difference is looks and the Best Buy one offers rewards. They both have various offers with various rates, annual fees, and credit limits. I would suggest trying both prequalifiers and see which cards they come back with and select the one or ones you like best. If you dont like any of the offers simply close the screen and no harm no foul. But I am very pleased with Household for rebuilder cards. They arent bad and the fees and interest rates are ALOT better than First Premier. Good Luck with your next step.

Regular Household Cards:   https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/householdbank?media=D5IM102AAX0810000782XXHHX&WT.ac=CRS_IM000782&sku...

Household Backed Best Buy MC's (different than the store card and easier to get):  https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/rewardzonemastercard?media=B5IM29H20061100001EM

Message 5 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@wynona01 wrote:

I currently have a First Premier Credit card it's just for credit rebuilding purpose only, I just recently obtained it in October, I only use it for small purchses and pay it off each month. I just received a notice in the mail that the interest will go up sometime in February. Now, the fees to this card already sucks, My current scores are TU 672 and EQ 660. I want to get another card based on those scores that will have a much better interest rate. I dont plan on closing First Premiere, I just will not use it anymore after February. But I will need another credit card to continue to help with my scores. I dont want to apply for too many to accure inquries on my credit report either. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should apply. I just got approved for a JC Penney store care with TU score. EX, is my worst score im currently still working on them. I also have an Imagine Credit Mastercard, but the company closed all accounts so I'm currenty paying that one off.

Can you please tell me what First Premier said your new interest rate would be? Is everyone stuck with the new 79.9%? I'm wondering if the 79.9% is just for new customers, or if it affects existing customers as well.

Message 6 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

Can you please tell me what First Premier said your new interest rate would be? Is everyone stuck with the new 79.9%? I'm wondering if the 79.9% is just for new customers, or if it affects existing customers as well.

Please tell me that's a TYPO!!!!  Smiley Surprised

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 79.9% APR is the proposed new APR once the new regs kick in.

This is because FP will be prohibited from charging all the front load fees ($253 upon card approval) and limited to the $75 AF.  They are seeking to recover the additional amounts prohibited by using the higher (not appropriate word considering the rate) APR.

They claim this is being tested.

The rate is supposed to apply to new cardholders who don't pay/won't be liable for the $253 AF.

But nope, it wasn't a typo....it's really something they are in the process of.  They claim this is an appropriate rate in light of the risk level of the clients they serve.

Message 8 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Yeowza....so FP is a lower level card than Credit One???  I axed mine when they jacked the YF to $99. 
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.