cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a very high credit limit. I have great credit scores!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need a very high credit limit. I have great credit scores!

@mgeorges wrote:
Is it even possible to buy cars on a credit card?

Yes. 

Message 51 of 121
mgeorges
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@mgeorges wrote:
Is it even possible to buy cars on a credit card?

Yes. 

I would hate to see the credit card companys processing fee! Smiley Very Happy

Message 52 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same as any other purchase, roughly 2%.

Most dealerships frown on using a credit card as they incur high gross fees, but it's the cost of doing business and any company that accepts credit cards does so while agreeing to a set fee through their network/merchant agreement.  Then again, think of how many fewer customers a business would have if they were cash-only these days!

Message 53 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealers will take credit cards. My brothers boss bought a car on his Amex a few weeks ago...

Some states prohibit people from financing more than $500 of their down payment on credit, but that's the only restriction I know of...
Message 54 of 121
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

I couldnt agree with you more. I wanted to think the best, but this one smells funny.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 55 of 121
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
While this post was interesting, it reeks of BS. If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be seeking my advice from this website, sorry myfico. Instead, I'd be seeking advice from my financial planner, wealth advisor, etc. Besides, most rewards programs earn about 1-2% max in returns. Even with a highly conservative investment portfolio, with those kinds of assets you should be able to earn at least 4-6% back on your liquid assets.

When you get to the OP's supposed level of wealth and income, the only credit one should need is an Amex platinum or other high end charge card for short term (less than 30 day) access to capital.

Edit: grammar

These two don't stand in opposition to each other.  You are earning 4-6% (or whatever rate you are getting) on your money because you are leaving it in the investment portfolio at the same time that you are using the cards to buy things and getting back the 1-2% in rewards.  OP said he was floating the money on the cards because they were at 0%.  There's nothing inconsistent with using credit cards to purchase things to earn rewards and leaving your cash in an investment account.  You're not electing to get rewards over getting the investment return.  They work in conjunction with each other.  Whether you're buying things you don't need is another question.

The biggest problem with this is that OP just liquidated over a million dollars in assets because of some off the cuff advice he got on an internet forum, that quite frankly, is filled with people who have made poor financial decisions, myself included.  Whether I think its true or not, OP needs to consider getting a financial planner, getting a private bank account, and asking them what should be done before making rash decisions. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 56 of 121
mgeorges
Valued Member

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
While this post was interesting, it reeks of BS. If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be seeking my advice from this website, sorry myfico. Instead, I'd be seeking advice from my financial planner, wealth advisor, etc. Besides, most rewards programs earn about 1-2% max in returns. Even with a highly conservative investment portfolio, with those kinds of assets you should be able to earn at least 4-6% back on your liquid assets.

When you get to the OP's supposed level of wealth and income, the only credit one should need is an Amex platinum or other high end charge card for short term (less than 30 day) access to capital.

Edit: grammar

These two don't stand in opposition to each other.  You are earning 4-6% (or whatever rate you are getting) on your money because you are leaving it in the investment portfolio at the same time that you are using the cards to buy things and getting back the 1-2% in rewards.  OP said he was floating the money on the cards because they were at 0%.  There's nothing inconsistent with using credit cards to purchase things to earn rewards and leaving your cash in an investment account.  You're not electing to get rewards over getting the investment return.  They work in conjunction with each other.  Whether you're buying things you don't need is another question.

The biggest problem with this is that OP just liquidated over a million dollars in assets because of some off the cuff advice he got on an internet forum, that quite frankly, is filled with people who have made poor financial decisions, myself included.  Whether I think its true or not, OP needs to consider getting a financial planner, getting a private bank account, and asking them what should be done before making rash decisions. 

+1

Message 57 of 121
lovely222
Regular Contributor

LOL This was just what I needed after a long day at work. Pure comedy! Smiley Very Happy

6/13: FICO TU (Walmart): 750
6/13: FICO EQ (Score Watch): 769
Goal: 780+, 0 Balances, No app'ing! (For real this time!!!)
Message 58 of 121
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Even though OP has been ousted as a troll, I'm still surprised no one suggested app'ing for an Amex Centurion.

Message 59 of 121
dalebb
Valued Contributor

my boss bought his wife a jag with points from his card

Message 60 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.