cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k + $5k!!

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k + $5k!!

But I can't get approved for anything.

I tried to get into Andrews FCU, but they did not accept my membership application.

I got into SDFCU, but they declined me for their EMV card.  They told me to send in a written recon, which I did and explained that I lost my job in 2008, but now realize that it was actually 2007 and I put the wrong year down.  So I have a feeling that my recon will get declined.

I want to try for the BoA Travel Rewards, but have a feeling that I will be declined for that too.

What do I do?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: I need an EMV card

Is this a chip card? Not sure what EMV is.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

yes, EMV = Europay, Mastercard, Visa Integrated Chip

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 34
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Chase Hyatt? Your scores are borderline and I don't know your history, but Chase has one of the most flexible and reasonable recon options I've seen. Unless you already have a Citi card of some sort, in which case a PC attempt to one of their EMV options might be possible. There is also a prepaid card (travelex?) if that would work for you.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

The exchange rate for that travelex is awful.  

I am thinking about applying for a few extremely sub-prime UK cards once I get to UK.  If I can get any of these with no credit history, they will help me build UK credit and save me money over the travelex.

Or, possibly, wait it out for a year and try not to go outside often unless I am carrying a decent amount of cash with me.  Then I will try again.  depressing.  I wish I had better credit.  I hope that a year might help me.

Message 5 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think BoA is my best shot.  I will try applying Monday so I can call them when my app gets declined.

EDIT:  just noticed that BoA won't let me select an APO address for my billing statements on the application page.  I will try to do a walk-in application at a branch on Monday.

Message 6 of 34
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I think BoA is my best shot.  I will try applying Monday so I can call them when my app gets declined.

EDIT:  just noticed that BoA won't let me select an APO address for my billing statements on the application page.  I will try to do a walk-in application at a branch on Monday.

Your scores are borderline for any card with an EMV chip. These cards are typically higher-end travel rewards cards, since people who rarely venture outside the US don't need them.

To be safe, you should have a FICO in the 700s to stand a good chance at EMV cards. YMMV though.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to probably take what ever card you can get for now to try and improve your scores!  You can't be picky with scores like that but if you do get a card that you don't like for the time being you can at least be working towards improving your credit at the same time and then a year from now you can try again for a better card.  It's really the only way this is going to work my friend.

Message 8 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have good US cards already.  Are you saying I should NOT apply for the BoA card and just a wait a year?   I still have a chance for the SDFCU recon.... I realize now that I didn't get the dates wrong.  My explaination was pretty good.

Current Cards:

NFCU - $14k

USAA - $4.5k

Milstar - $4.2k

Capital One - $750

None of these have EMV.  Even Capital One which has a presence in UK and issues EMV there will not transfer my account to Capital One UK.

Message 9 of 34
heirophant
Established Contributor

I just got my BOA Travel Rewards Visa Signature card last week.  No EMV.  Do you have to request it?  Seems weird.  Didn't really think about it until I saw this post.  I just go to Canada a lot and I know they take any American card, so this is just an afterthought.  If you go to some other countries, do they not have the old magnetic technology anymore?  Is this really a big deal for going to, say, Europe or Asia?

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.