cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k + $5k!!

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k!!

The woman who sat down with me asked my income and rent and then put my info in a form on a computer, just like you would if you were doing it yourself online, then hit the submit button, and it came back approved.  That was it.  I spent awhile after that explaining that she approved me for the wrong card and getting everything fixed, but there were no questions asked about my credit.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 21 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

According to the rep on the phone, All of the Bankamericard Travel Rewards cards have a chip.

I can confirm that I do not have a chip in my card and it was received last Monday.

Is this what your card looks like? :

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 22 of 34
heirophant
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@heirophant wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

According to the rep on the phone, All of the Bankamericard Travel Rewards cards have a chip.

I can confirm that I do not have a chip in my card and it was received last Monday.

Is this what your card looks like? :

Now that you mention it....no.  In fact, the card I have, the Signature Visa, appears to not be available anymore.  When I app'd, it said in the terms that you are applying for the Travel Rewards Visa Signature, but if you are not approved, this is a de facto application for the standard Travel Rewards.  I wonder if they got rid of the Visa Signature or if I am just missing it somewhere.  Very weird, though, considering I just got this card.

EDIT: Glad I applied when I did.  If I go anywhere but Canada in the near future, I will call BOA and ask if I can get the chip added to my card for free.  Since they are offering it on this card, I would think that wouldn't be a problem.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 23 of 34
heirophant
Established Contributor

Ha, look here:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards.go

It appears what they have done is made the one with the annual fee the only one that is Signature, the BankAmericard Travel Privelages.  I really am glad I applied when I did.  

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 24 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

It appears what they have done is made the one with the annual fee the only one that is Signature, the BankAmericard Travel Privelages.  I really am glad I applied when I did.  

Yeah, good deal.  It looks like the Travel privileges comes with a chip too though.  You missed out on the chip, which was the most important thing in my case.  I suppose it doesn't matter so much for Canada though.

Message 25 of 34
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

I don't care for BofA as a matter of principal - maybe all the banks for that matter lol. But congrats and safe travels!

Message 26 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@OptimalFICO wrote:

I don't care for BofA as a matter of principal - maybe all the banks for that matter lol. But congrats and safe travels!

I would never open a bank account at Bank of America.  As far as credit cards go, however, they are 1 of 2 financial institutions in the USA that offer a credit card with EMV chip that has $0 annual fee and 0% foreign transaction fee.  The other is State Department Federal Credit Union with whom I submitted my first app and they requested a recon in writing so I am still waiting to hear on that.

Message 27 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k + $5k!!

SDFCU called me and told me they approved my recon.  Now I wish I hadn't applied for the BoA card as the SDFCU is even better.   Oh well.  I will try to use both of them, I guess.

I started this thread stating that I couldn't get approved anywhere, but was actually ultimately approved for both of the two cards I applied for and only didn't get membership in Andrews FCU, which I no longer want or need, as the SDFCU card is a superior chip and pin card.  heh.

Message 28 of 34
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: I need an EMV card

Did you get you card already? Im thinking about pc'ing my plat plus for the travel rewards but wondering if the regular card comes with the chip too
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 29 of 34
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: I need an EMV card APPROVED $4.5k + $5k!!

I haven't recieved it.  I was only approved and BoA told to expect it in the mail in approx 14 days.   SDFCU told me 8 days.  

When I was applying, BoA told me that I could request a chip for many of their cards, but most of them have a 3% foreign transaction fee... and considering that most of the time you would be using the benefits of the chip would currently be in a foreign country, you would end up paying a lot of fees.  The travel rewards, however, has 0% foreign transaction fee, so it is the best chip card BoA offers with no annual fee.  If you travel, I would request a PC rather than a chip for your current card.  BoA is chip + signature, however, so you would still occasionally encounter situations where only chip + pin is accepted and you cannot use the card.

If you don't mind applying for a new card, SDFCU has the best chip + pin card available today.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.