Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I spend all my dough on gas and bars/restaurants...help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I spend all my dough on gas and bars/restaurants...help

You could also look at the Amazon Visa (provided through Chase). Both Prime and standard versions will get you 2% at restaurants, drug stores, and gas stations.

If you are a Prime member you get 5% back at Amazon. 3% if not.

EDIT: Points are available for redemption immediately on Amazon as soon as they post to your account regardless of amount. They can be redeemed in any amount above $20 for statement credits.

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP go for the PRG. I did in December 2016 and it's my go to card for everything (I also spend alot at restaurants). It's a great looking card and the NPSL is nice as well.
Message 22 of 35
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PRG just seems so classic. I want the gold card in my wallet. Fits my spending with rewards too. Def still plan on growing the Cap1 and B of A in the meantime.

Yep, its an old classic. It will blend in well as you drive your swanky oldsmobile cadillac seville, asking anyone who stops near your car: "pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

If OP is keen on transferable points, and not just straight cash back, why has the Citi ThankYou Premier not been mentioned? It certainly seems the best choice.

PRG looks to be the front runner, but where it only offers 2x on gas, the Citi TYP gives 3x on gas and a wide range of other travel purchases, along with 2x on dining AND entertainment. Not to mention the annual fee is $95 compared to the PRG's $195. You can argue the $100 air travel credit makes it $95 effectively, but the travel credit is so restricted by Amex's stupid policies that I don't value it at the full $100.

Citi has been generous with me in terms of both SL and limit increases also. Highly recommended.

Message 24 of 35
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PRG just seems so classic. I want the gold card in my wallet. Fits my spending with rewards too. Def still plan on growing the Cap1 and B of A in the meantime.

I guess I was you a year ago.  had a number of members suggest I drill down into the rewards and compare the details of both ax and chase rewards and so began my shift to chase.  my focus is international travel, very little domestic.  the pairing with the fu with the csr is hard to beat but moot since you dont have the scores to get it by next month when the 100K goes away.  I don't believe that the prg is that hot for rebuilding if that is what you are trying to do.  once you get higher limits it will be easier to snag cards with higher limits imo.   I had a $ 300 cap1 that grew to 14,300 in 2 years without even trying.  max and pif over and over.  got a $20k venture and combined.  getting >cl's has been a snap ever since.  getting a card because of the way it looks or what you think it represents is, well, is what it is.  rewards and cash is all I care about.  this will be my last month owning my prg, wish I could just give it to you.

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the perspective. Unfortunately it will take a while for me to get in with Chase. Can at least start with Amex. And I'm glad to hear about your Cap 1 card. I have already maxed it out and paid in full 3 times before my first statement. If I keep that up I'm thinking it should grow quickly.
Message 26 of 35
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. Unfortunately it will take a while for me to get in with Chase. Can at least start with Amex. And I'm glad to hear about your Cap 1 card. I have already maxed it out and paid in full 3 times before my first statement. If I keep that up I'm thinking it should grow quickly.

don't be so sure re chase.  go to creditchecktotal dot com and get a $ 1 trial and post your scores.  cancel the trial through the automated system.  let see what you really got.  unless you have something crazy holding your scores down cap1 and maybe nfcu is your key to paradise

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's funny enough is the main thing holding back my scores are two small Cap 1 charge offs from college. Working with a family friend who does credit repair and swears we should have them deleted soon. I still find it odd that Cap 1 approved me for a QS1 with 2 Cap 1 charge offs reporting. (Not complaining)
Message 28 of 35
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What's funny enough is the main thing holding back my scores are two small Cap 1 charge offs from college. Working with a family friend who does credit repair and swears we should have them deleted soon. I still find it odd that Cap 1 approved me for a QS1 with 2 Cap 1 charge offs reporting. (Not complaining)

let's see your 3b fico8's and go from there.  also your aaoa would be helpful

Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just joined the trial. Hell I might just keep subscribing to this service. Didn't realize I could get all 3 scores in one spot. 602 EQ. 595 EX. 572 TU. TU is low because apparently they suck at util. EQ and EX are reporting 0 util which is correct. 6.5 AAOA across the board. Oldest account 10 yrs.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.