I submitted 3 apps today and...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted 3 apps today and...

I applied to three places and look at what I got with current scores at 88%UTL

Best buy $700

Kays $2800

I requested a citi CLI from my current $500.00 and got declined!?

I do not understand why citi sucks so bad, or what I have to do for a CLI, but I am ticked.

I have only had credit for 8 months now, BTW.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
champ02
Established Member

Re: I submitted 3 apps today and...

Congrats!  Thou I would be very careful applying for new credit these days.... Seems that some CCC are using that as a justification to CLD or close existing accounts!
Starting Score: TU 501 7/2006, EQ 475 7/2006, EX 499 7/2006
Current Score: TU 709 12/2011, EQ 677, EX ???
Goal Score: All above 700

Message 2 of 27
score_building
Senior Contributor

congrats!

new accts. and high util don't bode well for cli requests.

@Anonymous wrote:

Best buy $700

Kays $2800

I do not understand why citi sucks so bad, or what I have to do for a CLI, but I am ticked.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 27
laz98
Senior Contributor

congrats!  did you get the best buy store card or the rewards mastercard?
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 month old credit at 88% utl. Boy that citi are hard asses. LOL
Message 5 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
8 month old credit at 88% utl. Boy that citi are hard asses. LOL

I dont think I was that bad when first I started my CC reign of terror.

Seriously the OP needs to stop apping and pay down the balances to 9% or better and not apply or ask for a CLI for a year.

Not a good time to go adventuring with CC apps, espcially store cards.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Best buy $700

Kays $2800

In regards to Citi, in my experience, you aren't going to get a CLI from them until you get your util down.  I had about 95% util on one of my Citi cards from May 06 to June 08 where I did make the minimum payments, so the util was going down, but not by much.  In late 2007 or early 2008 I requested a CLI online and continually got the form, form = hard, so I never filled out the form.  When I got my util down to about  16-22% and I requested the CLI I got an automatic $1500 CLI. 

So get your util down and then try it again.

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the store card from best buy, and yea, citi are hard asses, but I am on the phone with them again raising hell about this tiny card limit they have me on. I want a bump to 1k, for now, and thats it!! GEEZ!
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I got the store card from best buy, and yea, citi are hard asses, but I am on the phone with them again raising hell about this tiny card limit they have me on. I want a bump to 1k, for now, and thats it!! GEEZ!

I don't think that you'll get it. For one thing, Citi is supposed to be a VERY conservative lender. 88% utilization AND only 8 months of good tradelines? Even if you threaten to close your account, you'll get no love -- unless the rest of your credit file is PERFECT. I.e., 0% utilization on all other cards -- and those cards being at least a 1 year old.

Again, Citi seems to be a VERY conservative lender. In calling and making a stink over a NEW TL's CLI, I think you're not only killing the golden goose, but you're torturing it first, too.

And remember, Citi doesn't HAVE to give you doodly-squat. Having that attitude with any CC isn't going to help.
Message 9 of 27
jbh
Established Contributor

Few people who only have credit for 8 months get cli's. Usually it takes 6 months with a company before they consider one. They are generous but you must be patient. By creating new accounts and demanding a cli, it makes you look desperate in their eyes and you will present yourself as a riskier candidate.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.