Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I need to stop

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: I think I need to stop

I set a minimum monthly rewards amount a new card needs to surpass, before it is a contender.

If a card can not get me more than 10 dollars a month increase over my current rewards, it is a no go.

Have been in the garden with this method for about a year.

Message 11 of 49
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Kforcewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
What's the secret to not apping?

Not visit the "My-Fico" forums !!

Truth.

Message 12 of 49
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:
Since the beginning of February
BofA Cash Rewards 2k
US Bank A/E 500
Evine $1500
Walmart MC 1k
Discover 2k

Inquires are high, AAoA low, util 9%.

What's the secret to not apping? It is one heck of an adrenaline rush.

OP,

While we enjoy having you around these here parts...maybe it's be best to take a break from the Forums for a while.  Like an alcoholic who's trying to quit should probably not visit a bar, a person who has an addiction to credit cards probably shouldn't spend as much time around a place where credit is the talk of the town.  

Best of luck to you if you really want to quit...

Message 13 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well for me it's just the denials, every card I want says I have too many inquiries, so no apps for me!
Message 14 of 49
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
BofA Cash Rewards 2k
US Bank A/E 500
Evine $1500
Walmart MC 1k
Discover 2k

LOL one of the hardest account to me to close was my Evine credit card.

Between Invicta watches, Todd English cookware, Waterford Crystal and Cozelle sheets, its amazing I didnt buy more stuff then I did.  If Evine had a MC version, I might have kept it haha

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 15 of 49
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Some good suggestions in this thread.

I also want to add that the urge to app does wear off - particularly when you have many/all of the cards you want and/or continuing to apply for stuff becomes a detriment to whatever your goals are.

Message 16 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, good suggestions, but i would especially say staying away from the forums for a while (but make sure you don't go app mad when you return, all those "great" cards that you missed!)

People here (by self-selection) are too positive about getting credit cards and that creates pressure when you visit.

As suggested, setting a high threshold to evaluate "Do I need this?" can help, but if you want to app, you can generally come up with figures that will make it a good choice.  ("Well, I might well spend $20,000 a year on that brand of horse equipment, and it's certianly possible that I will get a horse sometime soon")

Also, an overall reality check will be good.    For most, even the best cards with large signup bonuses (100K UR/MR etc) are unlikely to actually make a big difference to your life.   There are many more important things than getting, or not getting, a credit card.

Message 17 of 49
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Loquatwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
BofA Cash Rewards 2k
US Bank A/E 500
Evine $1500
Walmart MC 1k
Discover 2k

OP,

While we enjoy having you around these here parts...maybe it's be best to take a break from the Forums for a while.  Like an alcoholic who's trying to quit should probably not visit a bar, a person who has an addiction to credit cards probably shouldn't spend as much time around a place where credit is the talk of the town.  

Best of luck to you if you really want to quit...

Yup, took a 3 month break from forums in the fall and I wasn’t thinking about it at all, until 3x CLI came around on the BCP....... lasted two months and applied for the Cash+. 😐😠😭😒😂

Message 18 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Well for me it's just the denials, every card I want says I have too many inquiries, so no apps for me!

How many inquiries do you have?  

Message 19 of 49
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Staying away from the forum may help but its not necessarily the solution. There is more to this forum then just approvals. Read other parts, learn from others trials and tribulations, join the garden club, encourage others in their endeavers. If you dont confront what ails you , ignoring it wont help. Just another view, im average so excuse me if i go against the grainSmiley Wink.
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.