Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think my BofA 99/500 just unsecured itself

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I think my BofA 99/500 just unsecured itself

Pulled TC and within the past day, the description changed from "Credit Card Secured" in EX or something like that to "Credit Card". I got the card last November and the first statement was due in January, so I had just made my 9th payment about a week ago. The statement doesn't show as being cut yet but should within a day or two.

I know this has been asked a thousand times but what is your recommendation on asking for a CLI? Online? Phone? And more importantly, would you recommend I hold off? my overall utilization is reporting 40% right now and the card balance is relatively high, but the report is 100 times cleaner than when I got the card and score is up too.

And another thing, I used to have a CLI link to the left of the transactions. It is missing now, so I may not be able to do that online.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Re: I think my BofA 99/500 just unsecured itself

lower your util.  when i talked w/a ba credit analyst about how to best handle the 99/500 and what they want to see, she said

High usage (like cap 1) BUT they want to see PIF or paid off within 1 stmt

LOW util for ALL ccs
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may just give you CLI when card is completely switched over.  They did with mine. I went from $500 to $1000 instantly. I didn't ask.
Message 3 of 11
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

I would hold off to see what you get. If you don't see a very big CLI I would pay your util down and wait a month or so to request a cli.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are now officially unsecured!
Message 4 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the input you'all. When your cards unsecured, when did you see the CLI? At the next statement? The following month?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, mine has been close to 2 years I think so it's hard for me to recall. Though I think that it took a while to transition over. Like over a period of a month or something - noticed little strange things on my online account. Like name of account changed, CLI button also disappeared, and after it was done, probably the next statement it was raised and got $99 back. I think that's how it happened.
Message 6 of 11
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Thanks for the input you'all. When your cards unsecured, when did you see the CLI? At the next statement? The following month?

As with all things, YMMV

Please understand that you are NOT guaranteed that you will get a CLI when your card graduates. Mine did not, in fact it was 4 months later before I did get a CLI

GL
Message 7 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. My secured Orchard is next.
Message 8 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wanted to update....

Got a letter early last week saying Congrats that they unsecured the card. And they said they will mail the $99 within 2 weeks. Well, I was cleaning house and found a $99 check that would have come before I got that letter, maybe 3 weeks ago.

The CLI button came back after a 2-3 week hiatus also. BUT no CLI. Oh well. I'll wait until next statement before I decide whether or not to call.

Message 9 of 11
nicemann
Established Contributor

Go ahead and call tomorrow morning.  I wouldn't hit the CLI button online.  I have five CCs with BoA and they have always been very hopeful with my CLIs.  Started off with the secured card for $300 back in Sept 06 now have a 12K CL on it, but a total of 22.5K on all of their CCs combined.  If I wanted to I could move all of that CL to one card and close the others out.  But hey they are positive TLs so I will keep all the cards.

Reason I tell you to call instead of the CLI online button is because twice I was declined on the website but when I called up two days later they relooked at it and give me my CL. 

Good luck!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.