Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think my NFCU card just unsecured!

tag
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

I think my NFCU card just unsecured!

Was looking over some finances on my phone this morning using the Clarity app.  Noticed that my nSecured card from NFCU was showing available credit of $2,000.  Thought that was odd since I only put down a $500 deposit when I opened it.  Logged into Navy online and sure enough it shows available credit of $2,000.  I have to say I'm pretty excited and happy right now.  I've definitely learned a lot from these boards, and not even a year post BK my scores are high 600's (highest I've ever had) and I was also just approved for an auto loan with PenFed at 5%.

Not sure if my nSecured card will turn into a regular card or what happens, or when navy returns your deposit, but I have to say I'm pretty happy today with the lessons I've learned and how much i've improved my credit in the last 9 months!

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think my NFCU card just unsecured!

Congratulations. Dv
Message 2 of 10
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Congrats......sure sounds like they unsecured your card.......why not just call and ask?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the OP, I'm sure that it was unsecured. I joined NFCU a little over a year ago and opened a $500 secured card also. I called about a month ago to request a replacement card and asked what I would need to do to get it to become an unsecured card. The rep told me that there was nothing for me to do as my account would be automatically reviewed and if it was in good standing, the $500 used to secure the card would be put back into my account and the card would be automatically converted to an unsecured card with whatever limit they issued. A few days ago, I decided to log into my account and noticed that my savings account had an extra $500 in it and that my credit card was showing a $2,000 credit limit. I was also very happy to see it happen. Congrats on getting yours converted to unsecured!
Message 4 of 10
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Congrats to both of you! 🎉

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 5 of 10
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! it's a pretty exciting step for me on my rebuild!

I didn't call yesterday, because it was a sunday and the bank was closed!

I wonder if my card will turn into cashRewards, goRewards, or if it just stays nRewards?

Does anyone know now how long you have to wait with NFCU to ask for CLI's?  I'm not in a rush since I just got one, but just wondering if posters here know what their policy is (90 days, 6 months?)

Also, is there a consensus on when is the best time to apply for a second card with Navy?

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Thanks! it's a pretty exciting step for me on my rebuild!

I didn't call yesterday, because it was a sunday and the bank was closed!

I wonder if my card will turn into cashRewards, goRewards, or if it just stays nRewards?

Does anyone know now how long you have to wait with NFCU to ask for CLI's?  I'm not in a rush since I just got one, but just wondering if posters here know what their policy is (90 days, 6 months?)

Also, is there a consensus on when is the best time to apply for a second card with Navy?

Thanks in advance!

Just so you know, NFCU is open 24/7 including Sundays Smiley Happy

The card will turn into a nRewards card and you can PC to any of the cards you listed. PC to the AMEX is not allowed and if you want to PC to Flagship you will need at least a $5k limit. I would go hit the max CLI button now and see what you can get Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on going unsecured! I dont know what Ill get when I get membership approval, I am in day 1 of waiting the 3-5 days. . . its sooo long of a wait o.0

Message 8 of 10
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Ahh, thanks, didn't know they are open on Sundays.  Just hit the max CLI button and got the 24hr review, so I guess we will see what happens!

It took me a while to get in with Navy as well, but it will be worth it in the long run haha.. patience is a must!

Message 9 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@enjoimorenow wrote:

Ahh, thanks, didn't know they are open on Sundays.  Just hit the max CLI button and got the 24hr review, so I guess we will see what happens!

It took me a while to get in with Navy as well, but it will be worth it in the long run haha.. patience is a must!

Good luck and I will cross my fingers for you! When my card graduated I got a CLI to roughly $10k

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.