Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought AMEX Gold was free the first year

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I thought AMEX Gold was free the first year

Got my AMEX Gold last month. Took a short trip to the beach. It was sooo cool to cover the room with the card. Then went out to a nice restaurant, put it on the card. Felt like a real somebody.

It took about two weeks for the bank payment to setup. In fact, they sent me an alert when the charges hit, and had a link to pay. So I PIF'ed it right then. PIF before the first statement cuts, they must love that.

A couple of days ago bought gas at Costco. I belong to Costco, and I wonder if they will make the Amex connection and offer me the True Rewards card.

This morning, I find the first online statement, and a charge of $125 for the annual membership!

Grr. So I PIF'ed that too. The gas isn't even on yet.

I am so afraid of rocking the boat, and don't even want to call them for anything. They might look at the old paid CO on TU, or the baddies still on EQ, or change their mind completely.

What should I do?

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: I thought AMEX Gold was free the first year

I got assessed the AF on my Green when the promotion was to waive it for the first year. I called them and explained it, and they removed it.

If you're sure it was free the first year, I'd call and ask them to take it off.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a mistake-

Just call them or send a secure email
They will take care of it.
No need to pay the card prior to the statement- just before the due date.  Amex charge cards are not calculated in UTL except on the old TU 98 fico version-

jaysdad2k wrote:
Got my AMEX Gold last month. Took a short trip to the beach. It was sooo cool to cover the room with the card. Then went out to a nice restaurant, put it on the card. Felt like a real somebody.

It took about two weeks for the bank payment to setup. In fact, they sent me an alert when the charges hit, and had a link to pay. So I PIF'ed it right then. PIF before the first statement cuts, they must love that.

A couple of days ago bought gas at Costco. I belong to Costco, and I wonder if they will make the Amex connection and offer me the True Rewards card.

This morning, I find the first online statement, and a charge of $125 for the annual membership!

Grr. So I PIF'ed that too. The gas isn't even on yet.

I am so afraid of rocking the boat, and don't even want to call them for anything. They might look at the old paid CO on TU, or the baddies still on EQ, or change their mind completely.

What should I do?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my Gold this month, and the AF was waived for the first year. I think I'd call them.
Message 4 of 5
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: I thought AMEX Gold was free the first year--- WooHoo! They waived it

Called the Customer Service number. I told him it was my very first call to Customer Service. The nice man put me on hold while he "researched my account".

Then he said, "We want to welcome you with open arms, so let me credit your account!"

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.