cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought AX had good customer service ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I thought AX had good customer service ??

@Anonymous wrote:

Posts like these make me laugh a lot because of the disconnect involved that all of us suffer (including myself).

We demand higher rewards AND higher customer service quality.

You forget we want to pay less and it should be instant as well.  We're Americans after all, shouldn't everything be instant gratification?  In fact, if there is not already a reply to this reply by the time I hit post heads will roll.  Except not really, I will just say that and raise my voice and then promptly forget it and go back to reality TV and fast food. Smiley Wink

When a company pays out more in rewards, it has to come from somewhere.  The most common place that the budget is cut is in front line customer service.  This is why Platinum card holders always call the Platinum CSR even if the problem is with another card -- you're paying a premium for that level of service.

Oh yes... I don't ever call the "regular" line anymore.  I used to, but you get a real person right away on the Platinum line.  I fell for that hook line and sinker.

On cards with no or low AF, you're getting rewards in exchange for a higher risk of numbskulls working the phone desk.

Have cake, eat cake.

Yes, we all know how well that sentiment worked for the last person to use it (apocryphally).

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I haven't had what I'd call bad service from Amex in the 5 or so months I've been a member, I've definitely been...underwhelmed maybe?

I think Amex benefits from having an enduring public perception of being the premier luxury card with best in class service when in reality that hasn't been the case in many years. Not saying
they're terrible, I've been very happy with my credit and banking products and services, when it comes to cli's, moving/combining limits and overall flexibility.

Their marketing team just did an amazing PR campaign thorough the 70s and 80s and it still holds strong today. Can't entirely blame them, the once travel agent gated world of concierge services is much more open than it once was, but they admittedly haven't made the best efforts to regain their once rightful place up top.
Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked at Amex as an IT contractor.  This is absolutely true.  You should hear the back and forth just in random meetings I would pass by.  They know they are one of the hardest cards to get... I think they were the first to offer a platinum card.  They not only like this reputation they live off it, and they know it.

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you follow the financial newsletter "press", you know that Amex is in trouble long term.  They're absolutely stunned by the reception of the CSR (a card which I doubt makes Chase much money right now, but Chase has the assets to take a huge risk).  Then mix in the Costco breakup and you have a double punch to the throat.

Amex has had to lower underwriting standards to get their portfolio of borrowers up -- and that is a huge risky venture although $500 credit limits isn't THAT risky if they can make money on interest.

Amex's long term survival depends on them getting swipes more than ever, and their current holdings are with folks who are more concerned with earning rewards, SUB and retention deals than on paying interest.

I personally don't see them as a good investment -- I sold my stock in 2014 around $90 and then it dropped to $50 or so quickly after but surprisingly has sprung up again to $100 or so.  I'm not sure the stock can maintain that level if they keep bleeding customers and bleeding funds.  Their goal for 2017 was to cut costs by $1 billion because their cost-cutting through 2015&2016 led to a profit increase.  But you can't keep cutting costs if it means customers are unhappy and take their business elsewhere.

It'll be an interesting 2018...I wonder if Amex is going to come out with a revolver to compete with CSR.  Nothing in the trademark database yet, but I have automated searches going on.

Message 14 of 37
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Always read the language in the offer details. It clearly states in Amex Offers that the card must be charged before the end of the offer.

If you aren’t getting through, call a different Amex number. Try platinum or PRG phone line. I’ve noticed the CS for my PRG is a little better then Delta. Much quicker to answer the phone and resolve any question. But honestly I can’t say i’ve had a bad experience with them. Quite the opposite.

I just called them and added on AU on a bonus I got when I added the first AU. I didn’t realize that the 5k MR points for $500 spend was for up to 4 users. I figure it was just for one. So I only added one when I really needed to add two. Very helpful, gave me the bonus and everything.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same impression ABCD mentioned regarding Amex's suprise at the CSR vs the platinum card. I spent a long time considering both cards: the value they represented to me, fee's, included perks & my likelihood of using them enough to justify the fee, and finally how much I value UR vs MR. In the end I went with chase and to me at least I couldn't help but feel that the platinum, while a great card if it fits your travel & spend habits, kinda represents more of the late golden-era of airplane travel & 80s business-corp traveler lifestyle branding. I'm less likely to use the lounge access or travel international and their terms and conditions on points can be more rigid or restrictive compared to what I'm able to achieve with UR. That said I'd love the Uber credit as we've been traveling a lot in cities where it's necessary to use & I'd love the spg & Hilton status upgrade. But it just doesn't feel like a good fit for me and how we travel and value rewards.
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I re-do my math on CSR versus Platinum weekly.  CSR blows Platinum away, but Platinum is pre-approved for me whereas CSR would give me both middle fingers to my face until mid-2019.  Amex probably is aware of this, as well.  Amex LOVES the 5/24 rule.

10 years ago, Platinum would have destroyed CSR had it existed (in my case) because I was flying international for consulting gigs and my clients paid for business class.  Today I mostly fly Spirit (will do over 90 flights in 2017 on that one airline) and my average roundtrip is under $100.  So Platinum kinda suffers there but I still do a few international flights annually to offset it.

I think if I don't see a CSP preapproved offer by May 2018, I'll do Platinum.  Maybe that'll give Chase a desire to send me an offer after, lol.  If I do Amex 5/18 or not, my 4/24 anniversary is 6/19 regardless.  May as well earn SOME 5% rewards now on flights versus 1.5% (2.25% future) on Chase FU.

But now that 5/24 is really well known and promoted, Amex doesn't have much time to delay.  An Amex card counts against 5/24, and I think the math adds up for a lot of folks that CSR is worth gardening a long time for.

I love Chase for what they've done to premium rewards competitors.  I love competition, and I love seeing the giants fall.  Wonder who will be David to Chase's Goliath...

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

10 years ago, Platinum would have destroyed CSR had it existed (in my case) because I was flying international for consulting gigs and my clients paid for business class.  Today I mostly fly Spirit (will do over 90 flights in 2017 on that one airline) and my average roundtrip is under $100.  So Platinum kinda suffers there but I still do a few international flights annually to offset it.

@Anonymous Every time I read one of your posts that describes how you live, work and travel for business or pleasure I am powerless to not imagine you looking just like this. Quite the interesting fellow & many thanks for the countless informative posts - learned a lot from reading you.

most-interesting-man-Goldsmith.jpg

Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, I've heard that all my life.  I actually met that guy BEFORE he was TMIMITW when I was doing a gig as a background actor many years ago.

Some folks say I look like him, too -- PM me for my instagram and you can vote on that one.

My life has been blessed mostly because I roll my eyes at the media and whatever it is they're forcing on folks.  Pops told me if everyone is excited about something, I should be selling it, not buying it.  I still don't own a TV or a couch but you better believe part of my investments are in companies that make/sell those things!

Message 19 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol, I've heard that all my life.  I actually met that guy BEFORE he was TMIMITW when I was doing a gig as a background actor many years ago.

Some folks say I look like him, too -- PM me for my instagram and you can vote on that one.

My life has been blessed mostly because I roll my eyes at the media and whatever it is they're forcing on folks.  Pops told me if everyone is excited about something, I should be selling it, not buying it.  I still don't own a TV or a couch but you better believe part of my investments are in companies that make/sell those things!

I've wondered about that...you mention unorthodox sources of income, but had mid-500s FICOs nine months ago...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.