cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought Discover was going to be my go to...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I thought Discover was going to be my go to...

I'm in the same boat, they literally got me at 2k since almost 3 years now xD I've asked several time CLI but its always a no.

Message 21 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TheGameofCredit_ wrote:

Hello all,

Today I am looking for a new card to build with. My current Discover card is no longer something that I wish to use going forward into 2021. They're refusing CLI's until your card age is 12 months, and by that point, I won't use it much due to no more 0% APR offering. I put roughly $5,000 in spending on this card this month, before knowing I can't grow it at all for sometime is very disappointing. I'm currently in the garden locked with very low limits due to applying for them when my scores were low. My biggest line does not meet my current needs at all.

Scores: EXP 735 | EQ 741 | TU 737

Total Accounts: 5

Youngest Account: 8 Months

Average age of Credit: 11 Months
Oldest: 1yr > 1yr > 10m> 8m > 8m 

Total Credit: $4,950
Biggest Line: Discover @$2,500
Util Profile: 1%
SSL Opened 9/16 $3,800 will report to 7% this month. 1st Loan on my history. Expecting big point boost.
Annual Income: $17,800

Amazon has yet to update my report [8/10]. I have yet to get a CLI with them as well. Also cap1 gave me bucket cards, biggest cli I got was $100 on each cap1 cards....

I feel building to this score has served me nothing as of yet. Is there any card worth going for out there right now with my current profile?
Thanks for reading.

They're not rigidly following the 12 month policy. Last month I got CLI's on both of my cards about 2 1/2 months after the previous CLI's.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 22 of 29
JNA1
Valued Contributor

My advice would be to use the Discover to spay everything you can use it for that you are already paying anyway. The cash back match will earn you 10% on the category spend and 2% on everything else for the first year, so you can earn some decent cashback and you’ll be able to build a strong relationship with them. After one year you can apply for another Discover card if you like, and oftentimes it’s higher than the first. Discover doubles the miles on their travel card and it be redeemed for cash back also, so if you go the Discover Miles route, you can have a unlimited 3% cash back for a full year. Basically echoing others, be patient and use what you currently to your full advantage.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 23 of 29
TheGameofCredit_
New Contributor

Since I opened an SSL this month with NFCU, and it bringing my age of youngest account back to fresh, I figured to go for a NFCU basic credit card. Got approved for a SL of $1,000 for the cash rewards card. 6 months 0% APR, I'll take it. 91/3, and most likely wait out applying for the second card. Come September next year, my Petal & Capital One journey cards will no longer be apart of 5/24. Currently at 6/24, so it'll bring me to 4/24, unless the SSL counts to chase. If so then January 2022. By then my age will be 1+ year for NFCU accounts, and average age of 2  - 2.5 years for the rest. This current line up of cards is all that I currently need. $3,500 @ 0% APR is good enough for the holidays.

Huge improvements this month for my CR overall.
- Added NFCU SSL 7%
- Approved for $1,000 NFCU Credit Card
- Utilization from 73% -> 1%
- Cap1 & Petal aged to 1 year
- 100+ Point Fico point increases.

In the Garden since 09/16/2020
Started my Credit Journey 09/2019, 2 Collections with no Credit History
PetalPetalPetalPetalPetalPetal

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Discover at all. They were my first credit card I opened a year ago after getting a clean slate on my reports. I've been super responsible. I always pay in full or paid my balances down to 0 before the statement cut. Despite spending hundreds on the card every month, they still refuse to increase my limit of a measly $1000.

Whenever I make payments on my card they refuse to look at any of my previous payments that haven't bounced and immediately give me the credit back.  

I didn't want anything to post on my reports this month from this card so I made a payment last night before my statement cut, and you know what? They still cut my stament with the freaking balance, even though I already initiated the payment last night. Discover makes me wait for the withdrawal to completely clear from my bank every single time. 

I opened two Amex ccs earlier this year in March and they have more trust in me than Discover. As soon as I initiate a payment with Amex from my bank, my credit is immediately restored. Not to mention my SL on both my Amex cards is $6000 combined. 

It's annoying. I'm glad they trusted me enough to offer me my first line of credit but yeah they're too risk adverse for me. Their risk adversion translates to a bad customer experience for me.  

Message 25 of 29
ccquest
Established Contributor

That's because Amex nearly immediately processes the payment and withdraws it from your bank account when you do the payment.

If you know they take days to process payments, why don't you give them days to process so you don't get any surprises? They aren't likely to suddenly change practices over night.

I've had my PenFed card for three months now and I know they mark the payment as received within a day, but they don't actually hit my checking account until many days later, and the available balance doesn't seem to update until the end of the month for me anyway.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 26 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Discover at all. They were my first credit card I opened a year ago after getting a clean slate on my reports. I've been super responsible. I always pay in full or paid my balances down to 0 before the statement cut. Despite spending hundreds on the card every month, they still refuse to increase my limit of a measly $1000.

Whenever I make payments on my card they refuse to look at any of my previous payments that haven't bounced and immediately give me the credit back.  

I didn't want anything to post on my reports this month from this card so I made a payment last night before my statement cut, and you know what? They still cut my stament with the freaking balance, even though I already initiated the payment last night. Discover makes me wait for the withdrawal to completely clear from my bank every single time. 

I opened two Amex ccs earlier this year in March and they have more trust in me than Discover. As soon as I initiate a payment with Amex from my bank, my credit is immediately restored. Not to mention my SL on both my Amex cards is $6000 combined. 

It's annoying. I'm glad they trusted me enough to offer me my first line of credit but yeah they're too risk adverse for me. Their risk adversion translates to a bad customer experience for me.  

There is no *trust*, it's just business.

You got approved for whatever amount algorithm decided you should be approved for. 

Disco is all over the place with approvals, you can have great credit and be approved for $1000.00, or conversely, your CR could look like you robbed several banks and get $10,000.00 starting limit.

Discover processes payments for all of us the same way. They don't trust you any less then they trust me. 

Cut off times are clearly stated when you're making a payment, so instead of getting angry, perhaps not paying at the last moment is a better approach. 

Amex and Discover...that's not even comparing apples to oranges, more like carrots to puppies. 

Message 27 of 29
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Which one is the carrot, and which one is the puppy?  Smiley Happy

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 28 of 29
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Which one is the carrot, and which one is the puppy?  Smiley Happy

Amex is the carrot because it is a lender people blindly chase to get "in" with just "because it's Amex"

Discover is the puppy because it can grow really BIG or stay really small and is hard to tell what a puppy will turn out like.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.