Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've gotten carried away

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

I've gotten carried away

So I just app'd (and approved) the Venture.  When I first started on my rebuilding process, that was the card I wanted.  But obviously I couldn't get it.  Now, after a PC, my oldest account is a VentureOne, and newest is a Venture.  It's ironic to me, seems to have come full circle.  (not that the Venture is still my goal card, but I got bored tonight and app'd)

After spending lots of times on these forums, I have learned a lot, but also found myself apping for cards I didn't need.

I also grew to learn that I'm not a rewards chaser, I don't have patience for miles and points and trying to get the most value out of them.  I think I'm a simple cash back kinda person.

Having all of these cards now has also made me super paranoid that I will miss something and miss a payment somewhere.

So I think it's time I pair these down.  I want to keep what I will use, but also keep the higher limit cards.  I want the have a variety, a MC, a Visa, an Amex, and a Discover.

Here's what I have in order of date opened:

(Bold to keep, non-bold to close)

12/01/12 - CapOne VentureOne - $5500 (pc’d from QuicksilverOne) - No AF - Useless, but won’t close this as it’s my oldest, and no AF

09/01/13 - Citi Thankyou Preferred - $4900 (pc’d from Diamond Preferred) - No AF - Useless, will close

03/01/14 - Alliant Platinum Rewards - $2000 - No AF - Useless, but would like to keep a card open with my CU

03/01/14 - Barclay Rewards - $1900 - No AF - Barclay pisses me off, useless card for me, will close

03/01/14 - US Bank REI - $5000 - No AF - Useless, will close

04/06/14 - Discover it - $4000 - No AF - Rarely used, but will keep for shopping portal

07/22/14 - Virgin America - $7000 - AF $49 - Rarely used, AF, will close

09/07/14 - Citi Double Cash - $15,000 - No AF - Keeping

11/08/14 - Citi HHonors Reserve - $6000 - AF $95 - Don’t like that AF, will close

11/25/14 - Amex HHonors - $3000 - No AF - Will keep open to keep relationship with Amex (or move limit? see below)

01/22/15 - Andrews GlobeTrek - $5000 - No AF - Will keep for overseas travel

02/04/15 - Amex Starwood - $4000 - AF $65 - Will close (move limit?  see below)

03/02/15 - CapitalOne Venture - $10,000 - AF $59 - Will keep

That's $73,300 worth of credit, $268 worth of AF's.  If I close what I want to close, that would be $44,500 worth of credit, $59 in AF's.

I'd probably just go 75/25 on spend with the Venture/DoubleCash, keep it simple, get some free flights here and there with Venture and some cash with DC.

Without getting into the whole debate on keeping open cards that don't have AF's, what do you all think of this plan?  Anything that sticks out to you as stupid, or anythign you would do differently?

Also, regarding Amex, how are they with moving limits?  Maybe I could open up one of the cash cards and move the limits of the Starwood and/or HHonors to it?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I've gotten carried away

You are on the right path since you already chose which cards you don't need. No reason to keep them open if not needed and specially the ones with AF.

Message 2 of 13
Santi78342
Established Contributor

I believe with AMEX, the card you are moving the CL FROM has to be open 13 months. I am not 100% sure on that so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise, I think your plan is splendid. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Smiley Wink

+1 if you're comfortable with it and it makes you happy, then it's the right thing 

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sounds like a good plan.

You won't be able to move the AMEX limits, but that's not an issue, the 3X CLI will catch and exceed that in no time.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 13
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Good to know re: the Amex and moving limits.  I'm not so worried about the limit as much as I am having an Amex that I would get more use out of.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 6 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Why keep Venture but close SPG? Star points have pretty good transfer value. If you decide to reallocate Amex limits, the from acct has to have 13 statements generated. The to acct needs to be a certain age as well (I think 60 days or 6 months?).
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like a solid plan and if that is what you want, then it is perfect! Donor card to move Amex limit has to have posted 13 statements.

Message 8 of 13
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Why keep Venture but close SPG? Star points have pretty good transfer value. If you decide to reallocate Amex limits, the from acct has to have 13 statements generated. The to acct needs to be a certain age as well (I think 60 days or 6 months?).

It's really just simplicty I'm looking for.  I just don't think I'm built for using rewards programs.  I also hear Starwood points take a long time to transfer.  That's the sort of caveat that scares me away.

But, I have some time before AF's kick in, so I could still change my mind.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

Not necessarily. I moved the limits from my my old Hilton Amex card to a newly opened(2 weeks)  BCE card with no problem. I did it on chat.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.