Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've joined NFCU, help please

tag
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

I've joined NFCU, help please

Well I finally broke down and called NFCU and became a member but I'm a little apprehensive about what to do next.  My brother is active duty in the Army but is currently not a member of Navy Federal and that is why I'm nervous about moving my checking and savings over to them immediately.  I informed them over the phone about my brother not being a member and she said it wasn't a problem but she didn't even ask for his name.  Am I being over paronoid about this?

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: I've joined NFCU, help please

@dabrian wrote:

Well I finally broke down and called NFCU and became a member but I'm a little apprehensive about what to do next.  My brother is active duty in the Army but is currently not a member of Navy Federal and that is why I'm nervous about moving my checking and savings over to them immediately.  I informed them over the phone about my brother not being a member and she said it wasn't a problem but she didn't even ask for his name.  Am I being over paronoid about this?

Apply for a credit card and give it a month and the you should be clear if no questions still

Message 2 of 9
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

When I applied over the phone they didn't ask for my sponsors info either. I've been s member for a little over a month now, and nothing has happened.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 3 of 9
Bluebonnet
New Contributor

@dabrian wrote:

Nothing to worry about.  Your brother does not have to be a member of NFCU in order for you to be eligible.  The fact that he is active duty military and you are his sibling make you eligible - simple as that.  Smiley Happy  I understand your concern, but if they do ask for verification at some point, you should be able to resolve it fairly quickly.  Not sure why the rep didn't ask for your brother's name but as long as what you're saying is true, then you should be just fine.  You could apply for a credit card without moving your primary checking and savings to them.  

I hope that helped.

Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Message 4 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

Different reps say different things. It's funny. One told my Mom she could have her brother sponsor her since he's retired Air Force and he didn't have to be a member. Another told her he did. Smh! I'm in under my Dad who IS a member.
Message 5 of 9
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on joining NFCU your brother is active duty you have nothing to worry about  APP AWAY..

Message 6 of 9
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Yea no worries about my brother he is a captain in the Army. I even offered to give his name but she said it wasn't needed.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 7 of 9
waiter
Regular Contributor

Dabrian...

Any update from you. Hows your NFCU membership going? did they give you hard time about membership?

Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

@waiter wrote:

Dabrian...

Any update from you. Hows your NFCU membership going? did they give you hard time about membership?

Thank you.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-App-Approvals/NFCU-Sig-cash-rewards-Visa-approval/m-p/29...

It doesn't look like they gave Dabrian any issues Smiley Happy

OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.