cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want 20% cash back with Disco & Apple, but I only have AU cards. Is this too risky an application?

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

I want 20% cash back with Disco & Apple, but I only have AU cards. Is this too risky an application?

Discover is offering 10% cash back on Apple Pay transactions, and double cash back to new Discover it cardholders, for 20% cash back. But I only have 2 AU cards and nothing in my name. There are no baddies, but utilization is just over 30%. Is there any chance of approval for an it card? Can a non-student apply for the student it card?

Edit: Vantage 3.0 scores in the 720 range, no baddies, AU cards are ~30 years old but util is just above 30%. The big question is, does Discover consider AUs?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want 20% cash back with Disco & Apple, but I only have AU cards. Is this too risky an appl

hmm....some lenders take AU accounts into consideration but not sure if Discover is one of them. I'll let more experienced members offer suggestions.
Do you know your FICO scores? That would be helpful.
Also, why apply for the student version if you arent a student? They have asked for verification of this on occasion so I wouldnt chance it.
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want 20% cash back with Disco & Apple, but I only have AU cards. Is this too risky an appl

Yes a non student can app for the student card, but I wouldnt. (Low cl)
Your util seems a bit high to me
Why don't you have any cards, just curious?
Message 3 of 34
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

I'm just new to credit. My Vantage 3.0 scores are in the 720 area because these cards have been open for about 30 years. I figured student cards had easier underwriting criteria, is that not the case?

Message 4 of 34
happypill
Valued Contributor

My understanding has always been that Discover likes thin files and people new to credit. Probably too much of a generalization but you'll never make an omolette if you never break any eggs.  If you're totally new to credit, there's not point in being too concerned about a few inquiries.  Just don't go overboard.

Message 5 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thought they would ask for a schedule or what not?  Have heard they have asked before.

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cc yeah scratch that, I'm not 100% sure.

But from personal experience, they did not ask me for any verification when I apped for the student card.
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thought they would ask for a schedule or what not?  Have heard they have asked before.

You just need to select what school you go to. There is no verification at all. They don't ask for a student email or anything to verify that you actually are enrolled in that school.

Message 8 of 34
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

But am I even right in believing the criteria are easier for the student card? That's the only reason I'm interested. And how low can these credit limits go?

Message 9 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You just need to select what school you go to. There is no verification at all. They don't ask for a student email or anything to verify that you actually are enrolled in that school.

Good to know if I ever want a discover it card.. Granted it would be with probably a small CL, which would be worthless.   Although the 20% w/apple pay might get me eventually and i don't even have an iphone(yet as I would only get it for this promo then ebay it).  If they want to be abused, I might fall out of the thing they call the garden and I do have a .EDU email as I work for a university so it would even look more legit, if I ever choose to apply Smiley Happy

With that said I should be able to get a regular non-student discover as well, but you never know with discover as it is a roll of the dice as they are as I have said many times bi-polar on whom they approve.. Although they do like people with thin and new to credit profiles, this is known.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.