Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want NFCU

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: I want NFCU

@jconvinced wrote:

I'm building/rebuilding credit.  I have some secured cards with min deposits from BOA, WF, Cap1 about 3 months old.  I was interested in NFCU for the reasons you stated.  I'm open to other good CUs.  What are some good CUs open to the public?

I'm sure you have several good CU's locally. I'm not sure on all the specifications as far as adding funds to increase your CL on your secured cards, but i know most will let you do that and some will require require either a SP or a HP to increase the CL after adding funds. That would be the easiest/fastest way to get a higer CL reporting. What is your credit file like? Lots of CU's are usually better about issuing higher initial CL's even with less than perfect credit.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 11 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@jconvinced wrote:

I'm building/rebuilding credit.  I have some secured cards with min deposits from BOA, WF, Cap1 about 3 months old.  I was interested in NFCU for the reasons you stated.  I'm open to other good CUs.  What are some good CUs open to the public?

Some CUs give pretty generous limits and others don't. Your best bet is to call some local CUs. You can usually join them because you live in the area, which is the only requirement. Explain your situation to their loan officer and see how willing they are to work with you.

Some people on the forum have joined DCU (digital credit union), which also gives a free monthly EQ FICO. I don't believe they're quite so generous as Navy. If you do a search, you can read some posts about them.

Another one that many joined was Alliant CU http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/. There hasn't been much posted about them recently.

USAA, which is not a CU, but many think is, can give generous limits. But as a non-military member, the CC offerings aren't as good as to their "full"/military members. And they are a more conservative lender.

PenFed is pretty popular, too. You can join by making a $15 or $20 m'ship donation to either National Military Family Association or Voices for America's Troops. They can be somewhat conservative, but also is known to give large CLs.

If you or a relative live in PA, you can join PSECU, which I covet!

Thank you I will look into local CUs and other CUs you posted.  I appreciate your help.

Message 12 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@jconvinced wrote:

I'm sure you have several good CU's locally. I'm not sure on all the specifications as far as adding funds to increase your CL on your secured cards, but i know most will let you do that and some will require require either a SP or a HP to increase the CL after adding funds. That would be the easiest/fastest way to get a higer CL reporting. What is your credit file like? Lots of CU's are usually better about issuing higher initial CL's even with less than perfect credit.

Other then the 3 sec cards posted above.  I have 2 paid collections on TU 4yrs and 3yrs old, 1  paid each on EX and EQ one 4 yrs and 3 years old that I'm working on getting removed.

Message 13 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@jconvinced wrote:

Other then the 3 sec cards posted above.  I have 2 paid collections on TU 4yrs and 3yrs old, 1  paid each on EX and EQ one 4 yrs and 3 years old that I'm working on getting removed.

Do you happen to know your scores?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 14 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

I don't have my fico scores.  I'm under the assumption that I need at least 6 months history for a FICO score( I only have 3 months).  MY EQ fako is 680 and EX fako 650.

Message 15 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

I don't have my fico scores.  I'm under the assumption that I need at least 6 months history for a FICO score( I only have 3 months).  MY EQ fako is 680 and EX fako 650.

How do you only have 3mths of history when you have CO's on all your reports from several years ago?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 16 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

They are collections not charge offs.  My oldest card is 3 months old.  I was told I needed at least 6 months old for a fico.

Message 17 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

They are collections not charge offs.  My oldest card is 3 months old.  I was told I needed at least 6 months old for a fico.

What are the collections on? If you have items reporting on your CR that are 3-4 years old then you have more than 6mths of credit history. Did you have any other TL's before?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 18 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

They were from utility bill.  I had no tradelines before.  EQ is not counting the collection into my length of credit history or AAOA. EX is, not sure about TU.

Message 19 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

They were from utility bill.  I had no tradelines before.  EQ is not counting the collection into my length of credit history or AAOA. EX is, not sure about TU.

Like you mentioned in other threads...i would just sit on those cards and garden for 6-12 months and build some history. Adding to the secured cards if you want to, but not necessary.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.