Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was wrong about the venture one

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I was wrong about the venture one

I have written before of how bad of a card I think the venture one is giving only 1.25 miles per dollar due to that being only 1.25% cash back when redeemed toward travel. While that is technically correct there are websites out there such as the points guy that show if you transfer your miles to certain partners you can get the equivalent of over 2% back which is better than the 1.5% on the QS. This doesn't mean the venture one is for me because I like the hassle free cash back of the QS but someone who wants to optimize their rewards and travels a lot (I rarely travel which is why it is a terrible card for me) could get better value out of this card than the QS.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: I was wrong about the venture one

@rgd51 wrote:

I have written before of how bad of a card I think the venture one is giving only 1.25 miles per dollar due to that being only 1.25% cash back when redeemed toward travel. While that is technically correct there are websites out there such as the points guy that show if you transfer your miles to certain partners you can get the equivalent of over 2% back which is better than the 1.5% on the QS. This doesn't mean the venture one is for me because I like the hassle free cash back of the QS but someone who wants to optimize their rewards and travels a lot (I rarely travel which is why it is a terrible card for me) could get better value out of this card than the QS.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Message 2 of 18
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I am assuming most people don't know this which is why the card gets such a bad reputation?

Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

I am assuming most people don't know this which is why the card gets such a bad reputation?

You will find here quite a bit of skepticism about The Points Guy valuations (and in one post he says that there were a lot of heated discussions about how to value the Venture points in particular).   But even taking the 1.4cpp as given that leads to a 1.75% value, which while higher than QS is much less than many other cards (and you have to find a good flight to redeem).   TPG would value using the Double Cash (earning TYP) at 3.4% for comparison.

Message 4 of 18
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Yeah by no means am I saying it is a great card. I am just saying that if you transfer the miles to some of their transfer partners you could have an effective rewards rate higher than the QS.

Message 5 of 18
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

You will find here quite a bit of skepticism about The Points Guy valuations (and in one post he says that there were a lot of heated discussions about how to value the Venture points in particular).   But even taking the 1.4cpp as given that leads to a 1.75% value, which while higher than QS is much less than many other cards (and you have to find a good flight to redeem).   TPG would value using the Double Cash (earning TYP) at 3.4% for comparison.

I'm one of those skeptics, I'm not sure if it's common core math or something else, but his calculations never work for me. 

Actual footage of trying to figure TPG's redemption values, if you have a birthday in a month that ends in "C" then you get a bonus 1.8% value if you convert them to Jimmy's Pancake House loyalty points and then have Jimmy book a flight for you from Topeka Kansas to Cleveland Ohio using Qantas airlines at an additional 15x points value....

Math Mathematics GIF by National Geographic Channel - Find & Share on GIPHY

Message 6 of 18
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

There are a bunch of 1-1 transfer partners now for Capital One that we're just announced (improved from 2-1.5), so this might be more true now than in the immediate past.

Of course, I just swapped from a VentureOne to a Quicksilver the other day... d'oh!

I actually see a use case now for having a Venture (I have a five digit sum in rent I can pay through PayPal Key that would generate a nice chunk of miles). Instead of having to hold a Premier + Citi DC I would just use one card. Having a 2x everything card for miles in programs I use (Avianca, Cathay Pacific) would be an ideal end state...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

There are a bunch of 1-1 transfer partners now for Capital One that we're just announced (improved from 2-1.5), so this might be more true now than in the immediate past.

Of course, I just swapped from a VentureOne to a Quicksilver the other day... d'oh!

I actually see a use case now for having a Venture (I have a five digit sum in rent I can pay through PayPal Key that would generate a nice chunk of miles). Instead of having to hold a Premier + Citi DC I would just use one card. Having a 2x everything card for miles in programs I use (Avianca, Cathay Pacific) would be an ideal end state...

Right, before transferability, the Venture (despite its popularity here!) really only made sense for the SUB and first year, now there may be a case.   But how does it compare to using the free Double Cash with TYP?

ETA: Oh, forgot (as in the message!) you really need the Premier with the DC.

Message 8 of 18
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yeah, though having Citi Premier means you get some 3x categories (airfare, groceries, dining, gas, hotels). Thing is though Venture has standard Visa Signature benefits like rental car insurance that Citi's nerfed out of their products, plus Venture will be no foreign transaction fee, DC isn't.

IMO Venture belongs in the discussion with Premier, AMEX Green and CSP even more than before, and VentureOne isn't a terrible no-AF option... if not a great option.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 9 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yeah, though having Citi Premier means you get some 3x categories (airfare, groceries, dining, gas, hotels). Thing is though Venture has standard Visa Signature benefits like rental car insurance that Citi's nerfed out of their products, plus Venture will be no foreign transaction fee, DC isn't.

IMO Venture belongs in the discussion with Premier, AMEX Green and CSP even more than before, and VentureOne isn't a terrible no-AF option... if not a great option.

I was thinking the premier was needed to transfer, but maybe that's not the case.  If not, DC vs Venture seems a fair comparison, each giving 2 points for each $.   DC has an FTF, but it needs over $3K of foreign spend to be more expensive than the Venture AF

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.