Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish Citi would make up its mind?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish Citi would make up its mind?

I get Citi pre qual offers in the mail sometimes more than 1 a day with different products.

Yesterday I got a citi double cash with 25.24 apr! .. I was like what the...

Then I went to the prequal site today and same card is offered @ 13.24...

Oddly the mailer for citi simplicity does match the pre qual site offer..

What gives between the mailers and the pre qual sites. Are they just hoping
I jump on the higher rate because I'm an idiot? My scores are all new 800 and have not
changed in the past few weeks.

Seems very misleading an unethical of citi to be playing thse games.... 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I wish Citi would make up its mind?

Citi and other lenders have a credit marketing arm and there is a definite disconnect between the actual credit underwriters and the marketing arm. Also, the marketing arms may do soft pull credit inquiries 60 to 120 days in advance of a mailing and who knows what source they actually used or a data base model that is internal to their financial institutions. For reasons unknown to me, I never get pre-quals and yet when I apply the apr rates are the lowest with decent starting CL's (exception Citi Double Cash - had to take an HP to get a decent CL).
Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Remember that it's not like they soft pulled you and immediately mailed out the offer that instant. It is probably a soft pull from 2-3 months ago and things change.

Like stated also, marketing and underwriting are different departments.

Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get Citi pre qual offers in the mail sometimes more than 1 a day with different products.

Yesterday I got a citi double cash with 25.24 apr! .. I was like what the...

@Then I went to the prequal site today and same card is offered @ 13.24...

Oddly the mailer for citi simplicity does match the pre qual site offer..

What gives between the mailers and the pre qual sites. Are they just hoping
I jump on the higher rate because I'm an idiot? My scores are all new 800 and have not
changed in the past few weeks.

Seems very misleading an unethical of citi to be playing thse games.... 

It's not really unethical: they disclosed the terms of the offer, and if you wanted to take it, that's up to you, even if there is a better one waiting.      A poor example from the ethical standpoint, but if you are buying a car, you haggle and agree a price and terms: you rarely hear the salesperson saying, "Just kidding, I'm really willing to drop the price by another $2k, was just waiting for you to get there"

Message 4 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Stop relying on prequals.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

so it sounds like you all ar saying to NEVER take a paper pre qual and just use the online ones?

If so.. I have never seen that discussed on here.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

so it sounds like you all ar saying to NEVER take a paper pre qual and just use the online ones?

I didn't get that from the responses. How you choose to go about applying for credit is really a personal decision. This is what I got from the responses in your thread. Prequals come from two different places: marketing (could be internal or external firm) & directly from Citi via their website. You need to decide which offer best fits your needs. In this scenario, the prequal from Citi's website offers you the best deal. Next time it may be one from marketing. It's a good thing to have choices. Now you know you should check for a prequal, if the CCC offers it, before accepting an offer. As a rule of thumb, I never accept the first, second, third, or fourth prequal offer. Again, it's a personal choice and I've cold app'd for most of my credit cards. 

Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't get that from the responses. How you choose to go about applying for credit is really a personal decision. This is what I got from the responses in your thread. Prequals come from two different places: marketing (could be internal or external firm) & directly from Citi via their website. You need to decide which offer best fits your needs. In this scenario, the prequal from Citi's website offers you the best deal. Next time it may be one from marketing. It's a good thing to have choices. Now you know you should check for a prequal, if the CCC offers it, before accepting an offer. As a rule of thumb, I never accept the first, second, third, or fourth prequal offer. Again, it's a personal choice and I've cold app'd for most of my credit cards. 

Well, I think a least takeshi's response had a different meaning, which I strongly agree with.

You get prequals because, in some sense, this is the card that the ISSUER wants you to get.   It may be a lousy fit for your needs, maybe they are pushing it because the take up rate has been below expectations.    Always decide which card you want, then you can check for prequals.  (And even if there isn't one, you can still apply).

Consider this more like receiving an ad in the mail, offering say special financing on a particular minivan.   Presumably most people here don't go "OK, I will get that one" unless they had already determined this was the vehicle they wanted and were waiting for a deal.   Really should be the same for credit cards, but for some reason people assume that prequals are in their best interest.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain this logic : "As a rule of thumb, I never accept the first, second, third, or fourth prequal offer"

What is the desired behavior? Is it the 5th offer on down.. and  if so.. it seems you are referring to paper offers (mailers)

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone explain this logic : "As a rule of thumb, I never accept the first, second, third, or fourth prequal offer"

What is the desired behavior? Is it the 5th offer on down.. and  if so.. it seems you are referring to paper offers (mailers)

I don't know what she meant by that, but for me when I was a newb and had only one card a few years ago and it was a the Cap 1 MTV card (which was discontinued later) I had become an attractive prospect to Amex.  They started sending me paper prequals and I ignored them initially, but then the bonus offers began to improve.  After about 2 or so jumps in the offer I decided to app for my second card, the Blue Sky.  I forget how many points they gave me and maybe the apr went down too, but I was flattered to have been courted like that and their solicitations worked.

I've done many apps using prequals as a crutch feeling that I'd be more likely to be approved.  Once I realized cold apping is not to be feared I've eliminated that approach.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.