Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG: 5k points for PC to Premier

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

IHG: 5k points for PC to Premier

I received an offer in the mail for 5k IHG points if I upgrade my $49 Select to an $89 Premier. This might be of interest to anyone thinking of PCing (you might as well wait to see if you get an offer).  My card anniversary is in about a month.

I'm not sure if I'll take the offer. The 4th reward night free might be useful.

I suppose the downside is that this could be a one-way PC. I could use the 4th reward night free once or twice and then be stuck with the $89 AF with no way back to $49.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: IHG: 5k points for PC to Premier

I think 5K points is a terrible offer to upgrade, unless you are wanting to avoid opening a new account and getting the 80,000 + $50 statement credit sign-up bonus.  

The 4th night free reward is only for redeeming with points, so you will need to accrue a lot of points for initial three nights to begin with.

Message 2 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Noctilum wrote:

I think 5K points is a terrible offer to upgrade, unless you are wanting to avoid opening a new account and getting the 80,000 + $50 statement credit sign-up bonus.  

The 4th night free reward is only for redeeming with points, so you will need to accrue a lot of points for initial three nights to begin with.

My understanding is that I'm limited to one IHG card at a time, and I have higher-priority potential apps than getting a new IHG bonus.

I have a lot of IHG points...enough for 3+ nights anywhere. Part of the problem is that I can use my miles to book solo travel for family members, but can't use IHG points unless I'm the one checking in.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Noctilum wrote:

My understanding is that I'm limited to one IHG card at a time, and I have higher-priority potential apps than getting a new IHG bonus.

I have a lot of IHG points...enough for 3+ nights anywhere. Part of the problem is that I can use my miles to book solo travel for family members, but can't use IHG points unless I'm the one checking in.

That's not true on both fronts.  Many reports now of users holding both the Select and Premier IHG cards concurrently as they are different products. 

By applying for the IHG Premier you will earn the 80K SUP along with holding all the perks of the Select (no longer available) like the 10% points rebate not offered on the Premier. By the way the BEST sign up offers are via a dummy booking on IHG directly... you go all the way to final booking screen and you'll see 80K + $50 statement credit offers there. Smiley Wink

For $138 per year you'll be getting 2-annual free nights, 10% reward points rebate, 4th reward night free, $100 TSA/GE credit, Platinum status, 10X points on IHG direct spend..etc.  

Also you can easily list family members/guests in the reservation at time of booking for reward stays with no issues. Status benefits technically don't apply to reward stays so there is no issue in you "paying" for a stay that you are not personally using.

I'm nearing 500K IHG points soon and as a Spire Ambassador member I'm holding off on the Premier until I have an actual redemption for the 4th night perk before adding on another AF, but I will for sure add it on eventually.

Example of a hypothetical SWEET redemption for the Holiday Inn Resort Aruba, currently 40K per night:

10-nights total w/ 6-nights paid as reward nights via Select & Premier CC's Perks:

40K+40K+40k+FREE 4th night+40K+40K+40K+FREE 4th night+ FREE Annual night+ FREE Annual Night

Total Cost = 240K - 10% rebate (24K) = 216K points for a 10-night Aruba stay. Robot Very Happy 

BUT WAIT there's MORE!!! Take that even further if you join the IC Ambassador program for $200 with their 10% rebate option which stacks with the IHG 10% and you're total trip would cost only 192K IHG Points!!!

Message 4 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's not true on both fronts.  Many reports now of users holding both the Select and Premier IHG cards concurrently as they are different products. Good to know, and FT confirms what you say.

By applying for the IHG Premier you will earn the 80K SUP along with holding all the perks of the Select (no longer available) like the 10% points rebate not offered on the Premier. By the way the BEST sign up offers are via a dummy booking on IHG directly... you go all the way to final booking screen and you'll see 80K + $50 statement credit offers there. Smiley Wink That's true for the current offer, but dummy bookings have not always given the best offer. When I got my Select in 2015, the best public offer was not available by a dummy booking. The dummy booking gave me 60k + $50. I applied and shared my joy on a different credit website...only to be told there was an 80k offer. I met $1k minimum spend with Costco cash in a few days, then sent Chase a secure message to switch to 80k. The CSR did not withddraw the $50, so I ended up with a then-best $80k + $50. I think they did 100k a year later or something...and gone are the days when the SUB coded as elite-qualifying.

For $138 per year you'll be getting 2-annual free nights, 10% reward points rebate, 4th reward night free, $100 TSA/GE credit, Platinum status, 10X points on IHG direct spend..etc.  Maybe I will get the Premier eventually. I certainly have no plans to close Select.

Also you can easily list family members/guests in the reservation at time of booking for reward stays with no issues. I can add the name of a second guest if I book for two people. I don't see how to get my name off of it, though, if I'm just booking for one. I'd feel a little weird making a relative lie to the front desk with the whole "CB will be checking in later" story, if that's what you're suggesting. Or you are suggesting something else? Status benefits technically don't apply to reward stays so there is no issue in you "paying" for a stay that you are not personally using. Not a problem for me at all.

I'm nearing 500K IHG points soon and as a Spire Ambassador member I'm holding off on the Premier until I have an actual redemption for the 4th night perk before adding on another AF, but I will for sure add it on eventually. Sounds good.

Example of a hypothetical SWEET redemption for the Holiday Inn Resort Aruba, currently 40K per night:

10-nights total w/ 6-nights paid as reward nights via Select & Premier CC's Perks:

40K+40K+40k+FREE 4th night+40K+40K+40K+FREE 4th night+ FREE Annual night+ FREE Annual Night Do you call to merge reservations (points stays and free nights)? You can merge them online? Or you can book it all as one reservation online or over the phone?

Total Cost = 240K - 10% rebate (24K) = 216K points for a 10-night Aruba stay. Robot Very Happy 

BUT WAIT there's MORE!!! Take that even further if you join the IC Ambassador program for $200 with their 10% rebate option which stacks with the IHG 10% and you're total trip would cost only 192K IHG Points!!! I haven't purchased Ambassador before, but if I do have some massive redemption I could see the value.

Thanks for the info!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

40K+40K+40k+FREE 4th night+40K+40K+40K+FREE 4th night+ FREE Annual night+ FREE Annual Night Do you call to merge reservations (points stays and free nights)? You can merge them online? Or you can book it all as one reservation online or over the phone?

BUT WAIT there's MORE!!! Take that even further if you join the IC Ambassador program for $200 with their 10% rebate option which stacks with the IHG 10% and you're total trip would cost only 192K IHG Points!!! I haven't purchased Ambassador before, but if I do have some massive redemption I could see the value.

Thanks for the info!

In my experiance at a few different IHG chains, if the guests name is on the official reservation they never need to even speak to you IF like I said it's a paid-in-full reward or Advance Purchase rate. You can confirm with the hotel at time of res as well to double check.

And yes, you just call the hotel and have them merge the individual back-to-back reservations, paid, points or free very common, never had an issue but they will still show as seperate res. in you IHG account.

I'm actually using my AMB BOGO cert (it's a buy one get one free weekend night)  next month in Vegas at the IC Palazzo and following it up with my IHG free night (luckily booked before they put the 40K cap on them) for a 3-night stay. Called the hotel a few weeks ago and they merged the two reservations.

FYI Ambassador perks ONLY apply at IC properties (besides the 10% deal), but at minumum using the the BOGO in a major city like NY, Vegas, Miami you get your money worth.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.