Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG Changes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IHG Changes

Has anyone else heard about the recent changes to the IHG rewards program? I read about them on the IHG site, which is here:

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/rewardsclub/member-benefits/faq?cm_mmc=CJ-_-2470763-_-6149885...

The current public offer for a new IHG card is 70,000 bonus points after a $1,000 spend in 3 months. IHG stated that the new elite status they're announcing in July will start at 75,000 points. Does that mean then that if I get the 70,000 bonus points, and accumulate another 5,000 points that I will be automatically in this "new" elite status? Does anyone know about that?

Also, separate question, but related. Has anyone had experience with getting two different credit cards from Chase on the same HP?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
nkrishdtt
Valued Member

Re: IHG Changes

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone else heard about the recent changes to the IHG rewards program? I read about them on the IHG site, which is here:

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/rewardsclub/member-benefits/faq?cm_mmc=CJ-_-2470763-_-6149885-_-DeepLinkRedirect_IC_Text&PID=6149885&icdv=99613032

The current public offer for a new IHG card is 70,000 bonus points after a $1,000 spend in 3 months. IHG stated that the new elite status they're announcing in July will start at 75,000 points. Does that mean then that if I get the 70,000 bonus points, and accumulate another 5,000 points that I will be automatically in this "new" elite status? Does anyone know about that?

Also, separate question, but related. Has anyone had experience with getting two different credit cards from Chase on the same HP?

Nope. These points dont count as status qualification points. You can use them for free stays. For Qualification points, you have to stay with them. IHG allows shortcuts (40 stays + 3 brands) to get there.  You still get the Plat status being an IHG card holder.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nkrishdtt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/rewardsclub/member-benefits/faq?cm_mmc=CJ-_-2470763-_-6149885-_-DeepLinkRedirect_IC_Text&PID=6149885&icdv=99613032

Nope. These points dont count as status qualification points. You can use them for free stays. For Qualification points, you have to stay with them. IHG allows shortcuts (40 stays + 3 brands) to get there.  You still get the Plat status being an IHG card holder.

So it pays for itself. Good to know.

I'm still considering having the wife app for the Hyatt CC before reports go into deep freeze alongside mine for status match at Mlife.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I didn't see anything about automatic status in the updates though, so I'm wondering if the automatic status will be the highest tier now. I doubt it though..

Message 4 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Damn. 100% bonus on points earned...

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

Damn. 100% bonus on points earned...

Yeah, it looks like an awesome benefit. Plus 25,000 bonus points annually, or Platinum membership for a friend. And that's not even including other tangibles like free meals, upgrades, etc.

Message 6 of 13
bigbang91
Established Contributor

downside is there's a devaluation coming. Just when i hoard a large amount of IHG points,*_*

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As to the two credit cards on the same HP question, I was able to do that in November of last year. I applied for a Chase Freedom and then immediately followed that up with an AARP application. Both were instant approvals for $7k and it only cost me one EX HP.

I'm probably going to press my luck at some point in the next few months and try to do it again. I'm hoping to do IHG + Southwest. I have 9 EX inquires though and that's who they pulled last time. I'm a little gun shy.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As to the two credit cards on the same HP question, I was able to do that in November of last year. I applied for a Chase Freedom and then immediately followed that up with an AARP application. Both were instant approvals for $7k and it only cost me one EX HP.

I'm probably going to press my luck at some point in the next few months and try to do it again. I'm hoping to do IHG + Southwest. I have 9 EX inquires though and that's who they pulled last time. I'm a little gun shy.  Smiley Frustrated

Those were online though, right? I'd rather not risk it. Anyone have experience doing it over the phone?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Those were online though, right? I'd rather not risk it. Anyone have experience doing it over the phone?

Yep, they were both instant approvals online. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.