cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IKEA Projekt Card CLOSED 1 Month After Opening (Important DPs!)

tag
pacem_et_libertatum
New Contributor

IKEA Projekt Card CLOSED 1 Month After Opening (Important DPs!)

Hello Friends .. 

I received an email earlier today saying that my IKEA Projekt Card was closed due to the "number of inquiries" on my (EX) report. Smiley Sad

I thought I would share this being that my card was just opened on May 23rd.

Since this card was opened, there were 2 more inquiries added for (non-Comenity) cards I applied for (and was declined) on 5/31 and 7/2. 

So, it seems that Comenity SP my file and because they saw that I had 2 more inquiries since they gave me my Projekt Card, they decided to close my account. 

Non-use and a zero balance report for one month in June probably also factored in, I imagine.   (I was waiting for my local store to re-open to check it out before making purchases).

I posted not too long ago about my Comenity Wayfair Card being closed, but it hadn't been used in about a year and 1/2 so I get it - that makes sense to me.

I also understand banks reducing their exposure due to the COVID situation, but to issue a card with 6K CL and then just pull it a month later just because of 2 inquiries that resulted no new accounts - this does NOT make sense.

Additionally, my UTI is down (16%) and score up (to 702) since they pulled my credit the first time.   So again, I don't get it.  Smiley Surprised

Also, intersting to note that they used my EQ for score (on which I have only 3 INQ - 1 recent and 2 about to drop off) and used EX (on which I have 8 INQ, 5 recent - one of which was their INQ -and 3 about to drop off) to close my account. 

Anyway, thought you guys would be interested in the DP. 

So summing it up, if you have a new Comenity card that's not been used I'd definitely see if you can put a small purchase on it, but also be aware that they are watching your INQ and may close your account for INQ reported since your card was issued!

Btw, I have 3 other Comenity cards that I usually put at least a couple purchases on per year and since my Wayfair Card closed I made sure they had a purchase showing in the past 6 months which they did...... But, this last closure made me nervous so I immediately went and made a purchase on these cards just to be on the safe side. 

Still no guarantees, I realize. Smiley Frustrated

For those interested in what small purchases can be made... 

J Crew -  $10 canvas tote - they have a totally cute leopard one. Smiley Happy Plus Free Shipping.

West Elm -  $20 Dash Mini Waffle Maker (+ $8 or so shipping, found reviews on BB&B)

Pottery Barn $18.80 Pretty LED light string (total included shipping). 

I wouldn't ever recommend just getting something 'to get something' so I read reviews where I could and made sure I really wanted these items.  I also am a big fan of returning items if I'm not reasonably satisfied with them. 

Anyway, I hope this is of help!

PEL / Raven

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Re: IKEA Projekt Card CLOSED 1 Month After Opening (Important DPs!)

So summing it up, if you have a new Comenity card that's not been used I'd definitely see if you can put a small purchase on it, but also be aware that they are watching your INQ and may close your account for INQ reported since your card was issued!

The inquiries themselves really aren't an issue. It's the credit hunting behavior that may have spooked them...

Message 2 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry OP for the closure but I do want to address something you said.

"...but to issue a card with 6K CL and then just pull it a month later just because of 2 inquiries that resulted no new accounts - this does NOT make sense."

It really does make sense. The CRs are showing 2 extra inqs with no associated accts which screams 2 declines. Unfortunately, declines begat declines. It's a good sign to stop applying. And as Physh1 said, it's more than likely the credit seeking behavior that caused the AA. 

Just treat this as a lesson-learned and garden for 6-12 months. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 16
pacem_et_libertatum
New Contributor

Hi, @Physh1 

Yes, of course...  I'm not sure what else INQ would indicate if not that one is seeking credit(?).

It is curious that that should cause alarm tho'  considering I already have plenty of available credit that hasn't been used (without paying off).

If I were going to over extend myself I've had plenty of time and means to do so. 

I'm just looking to diversify my file a bit more and altho I still don't see  my actions alarming, I get that creditors have to do what feels right to them to minimize their risk. 

Raven

Message 4 of 16
pacem_et_libertatum
New Contributor

"It really does make sense. The CRs are showing 2 extra inqs with no associated accts which screams 2 declines."

Good point, @CreditInspired..

Altho there would actually be only 1 rejection that could be inferred because the second inquiry happened only 3 days prior to when the letter from Comenity was dated ~ in other words, not enough time for a new account to show up on reports (or not).

Still, I guess I can see how even one rejection could be seen as a potential red flag.  

Thanks for your thoughts!

Raven

Message 5 of 16
RootDet
Established Contributor

I just think it is a bad time for credit-seeking behavior on items that are not secured (auto, house, boat, etc). I want to apply for a new credit union but the thing just feels off to have a new account report. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

Sorry OP for the closure but I do want to address something you said.

"...but to issue a card with 6K CL and then just pull it a month later just because of 2 inquiries that resulted no new accounts - this does NOT make sense."

It really does make sense. The CRs are showing 2 extra inqs with no associated accts which screams 2 declines. Unfortunately, declines begat declines. It's a good sign to stop applying. And as Physh1 said, it's more than likely the credit seeking behavior that caused the AA. 

Just treat this as a lesson-learned and garden for 6-12 months. 

GL2U

This is an intersting DP. I knew that HP's without resulting in opening an account could be seen as credit seeking for ensuing apps. However, I never considerd it for the prior ones. Though it does make sense. because something could be causing said denials that should be looked into.   

I've had denials after approvals and it's not ever impacted those prior apps, so i do think it's worthwile to find out if anything negative is in one's profile.

Message 7 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

The inquiries themselves really aren't an issue. It's the credit hunting behavior that may have spooked them...

Lol, inquiries are credit seekingSmiley Wink. Comenity is known to do this pre Covid so im not too suprised. Sometimes they come off holier than thou when in reality  alot of their base customers are in line with those of Sync im .  I closed all mine and never look backSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm sorry this happened, although i'm not completely surprised bc comenity is also known for closing accounts if you've opened more accounts after you've been approved for their card. i've read a few accounts on here of comenity cards being closed before the person even gets to activate it. and i know people personally that this has happened to. so your card still may have been closed even if those 2 inquires resulted in approvals and new accounts and not declines.. regardless this business practice is very irksome 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing.  I was approved for a 12k limit, Ikea projekt card.  I am on my husbands Amex, 25k limit w/9% utilization & I have a Kohls card w/1.2k limit 2% utilization.  When I applied I had zero inquiries on Experian, that is the one they pulled & 1 inq on Equifax that will fall off in Sept of this year.   I logged in and it says zero out of 12k available credit.   My friend said that this bank is known for closing accounts without notice.  I have not even gotten the card & when I was approved, it said that I could use the account immediately.  I was waiting for an email but it never came.  If they close down accounts like this I am not even going to bother, just leave it closed.   I was suduced by the 12 month interest free financing lol.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.