Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISO tips on securing a CLI for NFCU Cash Rewards

tag
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

ISO tips on securing a CLI for NFCU Cash Rewards

I have had a Cash Rewards for 3 years and never once received a CLI. The decline is always 'You've reached your maximum level" which is only $2k.

I've kept it paid off. I used almost the whole limit to pay all my bills - including rent - and then paid it off. I've got Flagship & the AmEx also, direct deposit, did the Pledge Loan, and have the 15-month CD. No matter what I do, that Cash Rewards never receives love in way of a CLI.

I visited a local branch and the rep told me that maybe when I opened that Cash Rewards the terms at that time limited it to $2k. Of course, she also didn't know anything about the 91 days / 3 statement policy for the first CLI either. I asked the rep if she's suggesting I should ensure the card is paid off, close it, and then re-apply for another card....she just shrugged her shoulders in response.

TIA for any suggestions on what I should try next to get a CLI on that Cash Rewards card.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: ISO tips on securing a CLI for NFCU Cash Rewards

@HarleyGirlInDallas  Form what I read in you your post below in blue is that the max limit on this card $2,000.  If you want a Cash Rewards Card with a limit higher than $2,000 you will need to apply for another card.

I visited a local branch and the rep told me that maybe when I opened that Cash Rewards the terms at that time limited it to $2k. Of course, she also didn't know anything about the 91 days / 3 statement policy for the first CLI eitherMy thoughts this I call MYFICO speak no lender would never understand. Creditors have credit policies that govern how often a consumer is elgible for a CLI etc. The credit lending policies is what a lender will follow.  I asked the rep if she's suggesting I should ensure the card is paid off, close it, and then re-apply for another card....she just shrugged her shoulders in response.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

What are the limits on Flagship and the Amex (I am assuming More Rewards)?  It's possible that the you've reached your max is referring to the total amount of revolving limits?  Navy's not always super clear in their messaging.

Message 3 of 14
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

Between the 3 cards, it's only a total of $12k with 2k of that being assigned to the CR.  I'm nowhere close to the $80k and I've gotten the Flagship and AmExMR in the past 6 months with no problem and higher credit limits.  I suppose, at this point, I'm curious if there is any validity to the NFCU reps comment that when I first got CR, it might have different limits imposed upon it that cards opened within the past 3 years don't have.

I don't need high credit limits -- it would just be nice to have the flexibility should a situation ever arise.  I learned this the hard way when my Mom passed away in 2020 and I had to come up with the money for her funeral expenses. 

Message 4 of 14
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

You may be at the limit for that card.   I've not heard of NFCU bucketing cards, but I've run into a similar situation.   After my BK7, I got a secured card ($1K CL), then after 4 months, it unsecured and they raised it to $2K.   In the past 4 years, I've gotten the CL up to $14.5K and it seems like I've run into a brick wall.   The last 2x I've hit them up for a CLI it's been "you've reached the maximum with this card".   I typically put anywhere from $2-3K in spend on this card and it's always had a small balance each month.   

The weird thing is that after the 2nd time I got the CLI denial, I applied for the Flagship and got it with a $25K CL, and then 3 months later I applied for the NFCU Amex and got it with a CL of $25K.  I'm going to hit the CLI button for the Cash Rewards one more time and then if its still the same denial, I'll just chalk it up that I've reached the max limit and then pay off the balance and move my monthly spend to another card that needs some attention (and a higher CL).    I agree that it's silly, telling a customer "hey, you can't have any more room on this card.   But, if you apply for this other card, we'll give you almost double your current CL".  No ryhme, no reason.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 5 of 14
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

What does ISO mean?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 14
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

ISO = In Search Of

Message 7 of 14
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

Sounds like you and I have reached similar opinions on our respective situations. I'm going to hold steady for another 3-4 months, give the CLI request another shot.  If it's still declined, I'll cancel the card, wait another 3-4 months and go for Platinum.  

Message 8 of 14
GZG
Valued Contributor

@HarleyGirlInDallas wrote:

I have had a Cash Rewards for 3 years and never once received a CLI. The decline is always 'You've reached your maximum level" which is only $2k.

I've kept it paid off. I used almost the whole limit to pay all my bills - including rent - and then paid it off. I've got Flagship & the AmEx also, direct deposit, did the Pledge Loan, and have the 15-month CD. No matter what I do, that Cash Rewards never receives love in way of a CLI.

I visited a local branch and the rep told me that maybe when I opened that Cash Rewards the terms at that time limited it to $2k. Of course, she also didn't know anything about the 91 days / 3 statement policy for the first CLI either. I asked the rep if she's suggesting I should ensure the card is paid off, close it, and then re-apply for another card....she just shrugged her shoulders in response.

TIA for any suggestions on what I should try next to get a CLI on that Cash Rewards card.

what is your debt, income and TCL with Navy?

I imagine that you're simply at the maximum unsecured limit for your profile, particularly if you have high debt or lower income. 

Only way to fix that is time/better credit/more income and to a lesser extent, greater use of navy products/higher balances

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 9 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Navy tends to issue a lower limit for your first card and it tends to stay lower than any future cards. It's why it's never recommended to app for the card you want first. Almost always better to save it for the 2nd or 3rd app. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.