Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea for service thoughts?

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Idea for service thoughts?

I tend to be entrepreneur by nature.  Given growing knowledge, I wanted to bounce idea off people.  What do you think of service that recommends credit cards to people based on their actual goals and credit history? I guess service could make money of credit card referral fees or charge small fee so no need to concentrate on cards that pay referral fees.  I find current websites tend to broadly categorize credit cards by credit and are inaccurate because they don't include cards that don't pay them or use too broad definitions on cards or don't understand what people trying to accomplish.  Credit repair services tend to concentrate on getting rid of negatives which is only half of equation and skirts the integrity of credit system.   The idea is that this service could appeal to broad range of consumers.  For excellent credit people, help them build their cl's to maximizing rewards.  To less than perfect credit, help them build credit by obtaining and using credit.  Would love to hear thoughts or comments or features you guysshould like to see.  Also, hope this is right forum since this is credit card related.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: Idea for service thoughts?

@Crashem wrote:

I tend to be entrepreneur by nature.  Given growing knowledge, I wanted to bounce idea off people.  What do you think of service that recommends credit cards to people based on their actual goals and credit history? I guess service could make money of credit card referral fees or charge small fee so no need to concentrate on cards that pay referral fees.  I find current websites tend to broadly categorize credit cards by credit and are inaccurate because they don't include cards that don't pay them or use too broad definitions on cards or don't understand what people trying to accomplish.  Credit repair services tend to concentrate on getting rid of negatives which is only half of equation and skirts the integrity of credit system.   The idea is that this service could appeal to broad range of consumers.  For excellent credit people, help them build their cl's to maximizing rewards.  To less than perfect credit, help them build credit by obtaining and using credit.  Would love to hear thoughts or comments or features you guysshould like to see.  Also, hope this is right forum since this is credit card related.

While it's a good idea to help people and I like it, it just doesn't seem like a profitable business.  Unless your going to do it out of the kindness of your heart, how are you going to make a profit?  Once you start advertising, opinions become biased. Then it becomes like all the other "credit card finder" sites, they just want to pump the CAP1 and Freedom cards no matter what your credit is like.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yeah I know.  How to avoid trap of just going to high referral fees?  However would always be different that most websites as based on individual credit and goals vs the generic websites.

Message 3 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Not really looking for it to make money, but pay for itself.

Message 4 of 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Yeah I know.  How to avoid trap of just going to high referral fees?  However would always be different that most websites as based on individual credit and goals vs the generic websites.

@Crashem wrote:

You need to find out how to make it profitable with compromising your goals/morals first. 

Maybe you can tie it into a credit monitoring service like USAA?  That way you can charge a subscription fee and still provide your helpfull new service. 

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 15
SoCalBound
Contributor

When you say credit history, do you mean actually pulling reports to base the information off of, or more of a questionaire or a combo of both.  I'm trying to think of profitability here and where to make the profit.

I do think the space currently has much room for improvements.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 6 of 15
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Agree that it becomes which Credit Card Companies pay the most to advertise on sites. The credit business doesn't descriminate and we all start on even grounds. We will still have

those with excellent to bad credit. I think it's a good idea out of generocity but most CC companies are anything but generous lending credit. Only \exeption I can think of is Amex and they are still strict to get in with

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 7 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@SoCalBound wrote:

When you say credit history, do you mean actually pulling reports to base the information off of, or more of a questionaire or a combo of both.  I'm trying to think of profitability here and where to make the profit.

I do think the space currently has much room for improvements.

combination of both credit reports and questionnaire.  Need to understand what consumer is trying to accomplish and short cuts to get there.  Example, have you ever have amex in your name?  Credit report needed to give more accurate assessment of what cards are realistic.  About 70%ish percent of advice could be automated and rest would require Manual review.  Think combination of whogavemecredit.com with credit cadd finder website and then personalized for individual.  I am tired to seeing people make mistakes and hindering their credit progress and using websites that are giving bad advice.

Message 8 of 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Honestly the best advice then would be to tell people to come here, to the forums. 

Message 9 of 15
SoCalBound
Contributor

Something in depth like that could be really helpful and marketable.  I found a lot of what was on whogavemecredit pretty useless because it gave pretty limited into and not enough of a clear picture.  The other thing, as I know it applied to me, I had two pristine reports and the third one just was worthless due to a collection, but something  that counts in that stuff could help people greatly so they dont waste inquiries.  if you are doing credit reports (hopefully soft Smiley Tongue ) the fees could definately be tacked on easier.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.