cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If America had contactless credit + debit cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If America had contactless credit + debit cards...

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not worried about security that much. I think the current system is just fine!

You think so huh?

Message 11 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'd use it. If Plastc would get their stuff together and send me my virtual card holder that was ordered in February. It may be possible to use any card I have this way. Regardless if it came that way from the CC companies or not.
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the banks were really hoping that we'd all just use Apple and Android Pay so they wouldn't have to spend the extra money per card, but it hasn't exactly panned out that way. At the same time, US card terminals are stupidly slow on average compared to other countries and I'm not sure that'll get fixed any time soon--or if retailers even want to, since a lot of them would rather people used cards less often. Thus why some major banks (like Capital One and Citi) seem to be warming up to contactless cards now.

Personally, I prefer the contactless cards. But that's because a lot of retail staff is poorly trained and having a physical card in my hand makes the experience less awkward. Apple Pay is ulimtately better over the long term since in theory you won't ever need to sign for anything with it.

Message 13 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the banks were really hoping that we'd all just use Apple and Android Pay so they wouldn't have to spend the extra money per card, but it hasn't exactly panned out that way. At the same time, US card terminals are stupidly slow on average compared to other countries and I'm not sure that'll get fixed any time soon--or if retailers even want to, since a lot of them would rather people used cards less often. Thus why some major banks (like Capital One and Citi) seem to be warming up to contactless cards now.

Personally, I prefer the contactless cards. But that's because a lot of retail staff is poorly trained and having a physical card in my hand makes the experience less awkward. Apple Pay is ulimtately better over the long term since in theory you won't ever need to sign for anything with it.

And yet, I routinely get asked to sign for charges that I've just paid for with my ApplePay. And these are usually under $10 in value, sometimes a couple dollars.

Old habits die hard.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually had "Device Verified" show up on a receipt last night. It's definitely not going as fast as we'd like but it is getting there.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's funny how business owners want people to use cards less often, yet, they themselves probably carry around a card that's expensive for a retailer to take. 

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... Thus why some major banks (like Capital One and Citi) seem to be warming up to contactless cards now.

Citi warming up?  They warmed up to PayPass enabled cards about 10 years ago, then slowly pulled back (including a brief run with PayPass stickers).  Although they are participating in Apple/Android pay full on and mentioning it with their card benefits.

Capital One, at least one of my cards, was working fine in Android Pay.  Then about 1.5 years ago they sent me a new card and dropped Android Pay support.

I'm fully in Android Pay when I can use it.  The digital wallet of being able to hold most of my credit cards and just about all of my member store profile cards (really the UPC or account number) and the benefits of no EMV chip read/write/transmission delay, is tops.  WIthin 1-2 generations of smart phones, everyone will have this capability.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's funny how business owners want people to use cards less often, yet, they themselves probably carry around a card that's expensive for a retailer to take. 

A lot of B2B stuff is done with checks. Maybe ACH occasionally.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... Thus why some major banks (like Capital One and Citi) seem to be warming up to contactless cards now.

Citi warming up?  They warmed up to PayPass enabled cards about 10 years ago, then slowly pulled back (including a brief run with PayPass stickers).  Although they are participating in Apple/Android pay full on and mentioning it with their card benefits.

Capital One, at least one of my cards, was working fine in Android Pay.  Then about 1.5 years ago they sent me a new card and dropped Android Pay support.

I'm fully in Android Pay when I can use it.  The digital wallet of being able to hold most of my credit cards and just about all of my member store profile cards (really the UPC or account number) and the benefits of no EMV chip read/write/transmission delay, is tops.  WIthin 1-2 generations of smart phones, everyone will have this capability.

I've seen more than a few banks include stuff in their EMV literature about how the new cards have no RFID capability. I'd imagine it wouldn't have been necessary to include if it was simply not being used as opposed to people being freaked out about it. As of now, only the Citi Costco card has it; it's officially "discontinued" for the rest of their cards. On top of that, even though the Costco card has it, they don't mention anything about it anywhere.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen more than a few banks include stuff in their EMV literature about how the new cards have no RFID capability. I'd imagine it wouldn't have been necessary to include if it was simply not being used as opposed to people being freaked out about it. As of now, only the Citi Costco card has it; it's officially "discontinued" for the rest of their cards. On top of that, even though the Costco card has it, they don't mention anything about it anywhere.

People who freak out over RFID cards need medication and professional help. 

I'm sorry but the rest of the world uses them just fine and their fraud rates are minuscule. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.