cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Chase mimicked Amex's CLI policy would you consider them the best issuer?

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

Re: If Chase mimicked Amex's CLI policy would you consider them the best issuer?

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

@One7 wrote:

Cap 1 better than Chase??? Hahaha this made me laugh

Well, then you can laugh for days! I have to file a complaint with cpfb in regards to Chase.  I did get some seriously sweet points this past quarter with my Freedom card and Lowes.  If it counts for anything I have a higher tiered card with Capital One, and I have had nothing but excellent service in contrast with Chase.

That's unfortunate, hope it all gets worked out for you and good luck. I was referring to the overall "best issuer" comment, sorry but Cap 1 doesn't even come close. As far as the customer service part goes I have no reference with Chase because so far I haven't had to use it. I could go on for days about Capital One's bad services I've had but I wont. Like you said you probably have a much better card than my terrible one that'll never ever unsecure!! lol sorry

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 11 of 46
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: If Chase mimicked Amex's CLI policy would you consider them the best issuer?

@irrational wrote:

I still would prefer Amex.

their online tools hands down best Chase. Chase's website feels like something from 2002.

also, Amex's CS is top notch. Filing a charge back with Amex is the easiest thing.

As far as acceptance, I've only ran into 2 places that don't take Amex. I just used my Discover.

+1 

I been a Chase customer since 2008 for a Checking account and it's website is horrible. Amex and Discovers Website from my experience are one of the best looking websites. I do like Chases Credit cards part in fact since I do own a Chase checking account and when I want to pay my credit cards off it is an account tranfser so it takes out the money the instant i tell them to. 

about 99.99% of the places I go to always take Discover and Amex and only 1 or 2 places i go to reguarly doesn't take either So i would think acceptance is a non-issue these days at least in Bigger cities.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 46
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@One7 wrote:

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

@One7 wrote:

Cap 1 better than Chase??? Hahaha this made me laugh

Well, then you can laugh for days! I have to file a complaint with cpfb in regards to Chase.  I did get some seriously sweet points this past quarter with my Freedom card and Lowes.  If it counts for anything I have a higher tiered card with Capital One, and I have had nothing but excellent service in contrast with Chase.

That's unfortunate, hope it all gets worked out for you and good luck. I was referring to the overall "best issuer" comment, sorry but Cap 1 doesn't even come close. As far as the customer service part goes I have no reference with Chase because so far I haven't had to use it. I could go on for days about Capital One's bad services I've had but I wont. Like you said you probably have a much better card than my terrible one that'll never ever unsecure!! lol sorry

No doubt, Chase offers a selection that Capital One cannot even compare to or should be mentioned in the same sentence!  Oh I will win, I know the law, and they violated the law.  They're my first cc though so I'm stuck with them.  But like so many have noted I really do like their 5% catergories and the ability to earn extra UR rewards.  So I went from a deep seeded resentment to, eh they're ok but I still have BOTH eyes on them. lol

Message 13 of 46
dave024
New Contributor

I'm not overly impressed with Chase myself. They are the only issuer to ever take adverse action against me by lowering my credit limit when my balance was high. That was 8 years ago now. Also back then they increased my interest rate to 27.4%, which is ridiculous. They still refuse to lower it. My American Express card is around 10%. Also I think American Express has better protection as far as extended warranties and accidental damage for electronics.

Message 14 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

Excluding cash equivalent redemptions and focussing primarily on travel rewards, Chase & Amex are without peer.

As to which is better would depend on a person's travel requirements, preferences and proximity.  However, in general, I think SPG is a better program than UR, and UR is better than MR.  Given the aforementioned hiearchy and my personal preferences, I'd still rank Amex as the top issuer, even if Chase were to mimic Amex's CL policy, because Chase will *never* mimic Amex's invaluable backdating.  In my view, Amex backdating is the single most valuable benefit of any issuer.

Moreover, all things being equal, given Amex's closed loop system and overwhelmingly one-sided merchant agreement, from a consumer's perspective, I will *only* use Amex for large purchases.  Amex's merchant agreement basically stipulates that they can at their sole discretion decide the matter of any disputes with cardmembers without *any* recourse from the merchant, which is considerably different from Visa's, MC's and Discover.  

So, for the (1) backdating, (2) consumer protection, and (3) SPG rewards, I'd have to opine that Chase, for my purposes, will never exceed Amex as the #1 issuer.

Message 15 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Excluding cash equivalent redemptions and focussing primarily on travel rewards, Chase & Amex are without peer.

As to which is better would depend on a person's travel requirements, preferences and proximity.  However, in general, I think SPG is a better program than UR, and UR is better than MR.  Given the aforementioned hiearchy and my personal preferences, I'd still rank Amex as the top issuer, even if Chase were to mimic Amex's CL policy, because Chase will *never* mimic Amex's invaluable backdating.  In my view, Amex backdating is the single most valuable benefit of any issuer.

Moreover, all things being equal, given Amex's closed loop system and overwhelmingly one-sided merchant agreement, from a consumer's perspective, I will *only* use Amex for large purchases.  Amex's merchant agreement basically stipulates that they can at their sole discretion decide the matter of any disputes with cardmembers without *any* recourse from the merchant, which is considerably different from Visa's, MC's and Discover.  

So, for the (1) backdating, (2) consumer protection, and (3) SPG rewards, I'd have to opine that Chase, for my purposes, will never exceed Amex as the #1 issuer.

Just to piggy back on travel cards. The one pet peeve i have about amex is an lot of their travel cards, which include spg and prg, have FTF. I don't understand why that is. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just to piggy back on travel cards. The one pet peeve i have about amex is an lot of their travel cards, which include spg and prg, have FTF. I don't understand why that is. 

+1

This is my biggest issue too, since we're forced to use the Platinum abroad, which is hardly a rewarding card to use, all things being equal.  In my view, Amex should waive the forex fees on *all* of their charge cards, and offer an option have a no-forex SPG for a nominally higher fee, such as $95.

Message 17 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

+1

This is my biggest issue too, since we're forced to use the Platinum abroad, which is hardly a rewarding card to use, all things being equal.  In my view, Amex should waive the forex fees on *all* of their charge cards, and offer an option have a no-forex SPG for a nominally higher fee, such as $95.

Was my whole initial reason for apping for CSP its an no ftf card that is pretty versatile :-) 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 18 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Was my whole initial reason for apping for CSP its an no ftf card that is pretty versatile :-) 

For many Americans, the non-ftf isn't really a big deal.  

For instance, I think that i travel abroad more than most, and even then, foreign spending comprises of at most 10% of my expenditures.  While the non-ftf is nice to have, I'd wager the overwhelming majority of Americans would find it less important than other factors, such as rewards value, annual fee, and end-user experience.  Of course, for those who spend primarily abroad, then I'd agree that Amex isn't the best choice, and the CSP would be the better option on which to pay the fee.

Message 19 of 46
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The companies don't really matter to me.  It's the individual products that matter.  Why do you need a hierarchy and assistance in determining what that would be?  You should know where they stand if that matters to you.

Both have products that are useful and useless to me.  Their products are just tools.  Neither is really better than the other IMO since they serve different purposes.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.