cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Comenity shut your brand new card down...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Comenity shut your brand new card down...

Did you actually use it to make a purchase?

I am thinking about trying my luck with Comenity as I need some things for my Vitamix, including a 32 ounce container that’s like $140, and that 20% discount on your first purchase with the card at WS would actually be really helpful but the stories of Comenity quickly shutting down their VISA cards makes me wonder if they shut them down even if you made a purchase with it or if they’re shutting down people they think will be totally unprofitable and just have the card to have it. 

It would not be the end of the world if it happened but it’s not ideal and since these containers and anything Vitamix are universally expensive, 20% would be great. I am looking at about $400 of stuff all told. 

I do not have any history with Comenity and I am just looking for DPs from people who have gotten Comenity majors with lots of credit seeking behavior (I am at 15/24, 10/12, and 4/6), whether they let you keep the card or not, and whether you made a purchase right away or not. 

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: If Comenity shut your brand new card down...

@Anonymous 

I have their IKEA visa card which I used for a BT deal and one store card Wayfair. I never saw any AA, but I didn't open any other comenity cards for that soul reason. 

It seems from others past experience,  it's when you have multiple store cards and then start getting more than one of their visa cards,  that's when they may start closing. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

I have their IKEA visa card which I used for a BT deal and one store card Wayfair. I never saw any AA, but I didn't open any other comenity cards for that soul reason. 

It seems from others past experience,  it's when you have multiple store cards and then start getting more than one of their visa cards,  that's when they may start closing. 

Well that’s what I thought too but they shut down @macinjosh like a week after approval for his WS VISA and he doesn’t have any other Comenity either. I did ask him and he said he didn’t make a purchase with the card though so I am curious if Comenity is more tolerant if they see you actually use it. 

Message 3 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Your files clean now?  Being EQ and Exp?  If you decide to apply for it have them both unlocked as comenity aka alliance data will hp one and sp the other.. be a shame if you had one froozen and denied due to that reason and got the HP.  I imagine you would be safe if you apply for only ONE of their products, but as with anything in the credit world things can happen.  They have always been good to me and i am perfect example if credit seeker and have 20-30 accounts in last 2 years without any AA..  Although could happen.  Love my WS Visa BT offers as no other lender can beat them.  We have no clue what trips their algorithm to shut down accounts but one thing is known multiple comenity cards in a short time otherwise not alot we know.  Really probably comes down to the strength on a persons profile?  I have over 500k in personal credit and not a peep or bad thing from them.

Message 4 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It has happened for folks having made a single or several purchase or without any activity. In some cases, even before the card got activated. It really depends on how soon their internal algorithm flags the account and manual AA/review takes place. So, a gamble nonetheless.

If I were you, and to avoid aggravation, I would not touch Comenity for a bit. It's not only inquiries but new accounts as well, although most AA correspondence points to inquiries as the culprit.
Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Your files clean now?  Being EQ and Exp?  If you decide to apply for it have them both unlocked as comenity aka alliance data will hp one and sp the other.. be a shame if you had one froozen and denied due to that reason and got the HP.  I imagine you would be safe if you apply for only ONE of their products, but as with anything in the credit world things can happen.  They have always been good to me and i am perfect example if credit seeker and have 20-30 accounts in last 2 years without any AA..  Although could happen.  Love my WS Visa BT offers as no other lender can beat them.

My BK is still there til next year but my scores are 721-729 now. 

I was not planning to app with any bureaus frozen. The only time I leave bureaus frozen is when I’m certain what bureau will be pulled and that blew up in my face when US Bank tried to pull EX back in March so when I go for cards, I unfreeze all of them now. 

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
It has happened for folks having made a single or several purchase or without any activity. In some cases, even before the card got activated. It really depends on how soon their internal algorithm flags the account and manual AA/review takes place. So, a gamble nonetheless.

If I were you, and to avoid aggravation, I would not touch Comenity for a bit. It's not only inquiries but new accounts as well, although most AA correspondence points to inquiries as the culprit.

How many inquiries do they tend to have a problem with? I have 9 EX, 8 EQ, 9 TU but quite a few are approaching a year in December/January. 

It sucks because I really need this stuff. I had three molars pulled and can’t afford dentures or implants so I have to either remove a number of my favorite foods entirely which I won’t do or I need to put my Vitamix to work. Saving money on these expensive items would be nice. 

Message 7 of 37
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Me dislikes Comenity. Closed before I even got the card. Smiley Mad I went for the WS Visa specifically for the BT offers. $0 transfer fees sure are nice. At this point I need to stay in the garden long enough to get a citi simplicity card so I can get a good enough limit and BT all my cards onto it come early March. Ugh!

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 8 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

How many inquiries do they tend to have a problem with? I have 9 EX, 8 EQ, 9 TU but quite a few are approaching a year in December/January. 

It sucks because I really need this stuff. I had three molars pulled and can’t afford dentures or implants so I have to either remove a number of my favorite foods entirely which I won’t do or I need to put my Vitamix to work. Saving money on these expensive items would be nice. 

If you look at some prior Comenity 'shut down' threads, it could be as little as 2-3 inquiries.   Again, it's not only the inquiries they're honing in, it's the overall profile which includes new accounts plus anything else that their internal audit review team deems as a risk.   So, while the letters may indicate the inquiries killed the Comenity (insert CC name here), it's more than that.  It's pretty much a boiler plate response for most AA outcomes.

So, you're welcome to take the risk as you rationalize the purchase or potential savings, but you already know what could happen given such recent new accounts and inquiries (plus the presence of BK). They could care less about scores btw and how well a profile has been groomed over time. 

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

If you look at some prior Comenity 'shut down' threads, it could be as little as 2-3 inquiries.   Again, it's not only the inquiries they're honing in, it's the overall profile which includes new accounts plus anything else that their internal audit review team deems as a risk.   So, while the letters may indicate the inquiries killed the Comenity (insert CC name here), it's more than that.  It's pretty much a boiler plate response for most AA outcomes.

So, you're welcome to take the risk as you rationalize the purchase or potential savings, but you already know what could happen given such recent new accounts and inquiries (plus the presence of BK). They could care less about scores btw and how well a profile has been groomed over time. 

Nah I put this thread up to try to gauge my risk and it seems very likely that they would shut it down. I don’t want a closed by credit grantor mark on my report. I hardly ever buy the kinds of items that WS sells anyway so it’s not a good long term card for me. 

I guess I will just use my Cash Magnet to get some more activity with Amex. Amex said no BCP because they pulled an old score and length of relationship and I don’t have another ~$2600 of spend to be able hit the NFCU Amex SUB and I’m pretty certain it would be a no from Citi paired with a double pull so I’ll just have to go full price. 

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.