cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay my outstanding balance with AMEX will they take me off their blacklist?

tag

If I pay my outstanding balance with AMEX will they take me off their blacklist?

Hello All!

I applied for an American Express Platinum Card today and was instantly denied with no hard pull.

The email I received said "we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."

When I called the customer service number, they reminded me that I have an outstanding balance of about $600, which I completely forgot about. They closed my account in 2014, back when I was still irresponsible with credit. I've since gone through a rebuild and now my FICO scores are in the 790-810 range.

If so, how soon can I start applying for new cards?

Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: If I pay my outstanding balance with AMEX will they take me off their blacklist?

Maybe, maybe not. They can take you off BL if you don't pay in a few years or never. That's not even large amount but 8 years later, they still want their money back. 

Best you can do is pay them, wait a few months then try again. If approved, expect your account to have a bit more scrutiny, they won't care about current scores, it's internal record first, everything else second. 

Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If I pay my outstanding balance with AMEX will they take me off their blacklist?

It's fair to say that's how others have made amends with a previously strained AENB relationship. Often, succesful outcomes have been reported, especially since the amount seems to be nominal. Once you PIF, they can inform you how soon you can apply for any of their products.

Message 3 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think that is a question for Amex. Paying them back will certainly put you in a better position with them though, that's for sure. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 14
Gollum
Established Contributor

@DeclinedToRefined wrote:

Hello All!

I applied for an American Express Platinum Card today and was instantly denied with no hard pull.

The email I received said "we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."

When I called the customer service number, they reminded me that I have an outstanding balance of about $600, which I completely forgot about. They closed my account in 2014, back when I was still irresponsible with credit. I've since gone through a rebuild and now my FICO scores are in the 790-810 range.

You can start applying for new cards immediately, but you may not have success. Interest rates are going up to combat record inflation. Creditworthiness (FICO scores) for many people will probably decrease.

I suggest not applying for new credit cards. Instead, pay off existing debts.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 5 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

Hello All!

You can start applying for new cards immediately, but you may not have success. Interest rates are going up to combat record inflation. Creditworthiness (FICO scores) for many people will probably decrease.

I suggest not applying for new credit cards. Instead, pay off existing debts.

You are assuming OP has other CC debt besides this very old one with Amex.  Interest rates and applying for credit cards have no correlation to each other if you PIF.  Amex plat is a great travel card w/ many perks and comes w/ a very good SUB.  

OP, pay the $600 because you do owe it and it's your responsibility to pay someone you owe regardless if they would approve or not approve you for a card.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good luck. Nice scores BTW. Best case scenario would be an invite to the Optima card for a 2cd chance. #FingersCrossed.

Hate posting after a Mod and CL's.Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Hello All!

I would call up, pay it over the phone, explain what happened, and ask what you can do to get back in their good graces.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 14

UPDATE: I just spoke to a rep on the "research and recovery" team (800-700-7619) and she said if I wanted to repair my relationship with Amex all I needed to do was pay the outstanding balance and I could start applying for new cards within 10 business days. My most recent account (an Optima "second chance" card, which was shut down in 2014 during my financially irresponsible days) was not recoverable. I gave my checking acccount info to pay the balance and she said I'll be getting a letter in the mail to confirm everything is resolved. She advised me to call by Monday 5/16 if I haven't yet received it and they will fax it to me. Looks like I'm off the blacklist soon. Thanks for the pointers. Will post updates if I get approved for a new card.

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

UPDATE: I just spoke to a rep on the "research and recovery" team (800-700-7619) and she said if I wanted to repair my relationship with Amex all I needed to do was pay the outstanding balance and I could start applying for new cards within 10 business days. My most recent account (an Optima "second chance" card from my financially irresponsible days) was not recoverable. I gave my checking acccount info to pay the balance and she said I'll be getting a letter in the mail to confirm everything is resolved. She advised me to call by Monday 5/16 if I haven't yet received it and they will fax it to me. Looks like I'm off the blacklist soon. Thanks for the pointers. Will post updates if I get approved for a new card.

Congratulations Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.