cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a card repots 0 does it make a sound?

tag
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

If a card repots 0 does it make a sound?

So i was doing some thinking while driving today. If a card repots 0 ballance is it considered a OTP? Wouldnt it be ok to have several cards reporting balances and payments being made. Thus showing the ability to use and manage multiple accounts? Then when APP time comes around have only one card report for the minor score bump? Food for thought.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: If a card repots 0 does it make a sound?

@twist7d7 wrote:

So i was doing some thinking while driving today. If a card repots 0 ballance is it considered a OTP? Wouldnt it be ok to have several cards reporting balances and payments being made. Thus showing the ability to use and manage multiple accounts? Then when APP time comes around have only one card report for the minor score bump? Food for thought.

OTP??  sorry don't understand but in short. I use all my cards and let balances report as they come and only before I plan to app I play the 0 balance reporting game. Constantly doing micro management is way too annoying for me .. and what for ?  Why should I need my scores in best shape if I do not apply for anything?

Message 2 of 11
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

OTP??  sorry don't understand but in short. I use all my cards and let balances report as they come and only before I plan to app I play the 0 balance reporting game. Constantly doing micro management is way too annoying for me .. and what for ?  Why should I need my scores in best shape if I do not apply for anything?

On Time Payment. And the thinking was that all cards can report a small ballance <10% and be payed in full on non app months. Thus giving your a greater amount of payments being made.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

Wouldnt it be ok to have several cards reporting balances and payments being made.

Sure, it's ok -- depending on other factors.  Most of my cards report balances but with everything else my TU 08 is over 800.  YMMV of course depending on the specifics of your own situation.

For optimal scoring the models favor having one balance report at 10% or less which is why that suggestion is commonly made on credit sites.  How much you stand to gain from this tweaking is just something you'd have to test and see for yourself.

Message 4 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

On Time Payment. And the thinking was that all cards can report a small ballance <10% and be payed in full on non app months. Thus giving your a greater amount of payments being made.

I have gotten myfico allerts, for too many cards reporting a balance. Not sure the impact on your score but its probably best to keep the number of cards reporting a balance to a minimum, but then again if you aren't APP'ing for something in the near future, it shouldn't matter. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

You are being too logical, are you sure you are in the right forum?Smiley Wink

BTW, I believe OTP is an acronyms for "over the prostitute" an old Romanian expression that cautions about the dangers of getting too attached to things you shouldn't. Now, I don't know why the OP brought it up...

Message 6 of 11
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

I think it does make a difference in quiet ways.  For example, having a clean ratio can increase your chance for auto CLI when creditors do SPs.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 7 of 11
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Basicaly does a 0 bal report as a on time payment. I do think the pont about auto CLIs is valid but only testing will tell. 

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

Basicaly does a 0 bal report as a on time payment. I do think the pont about auto CLIs is valid but only testing will tell. 

DO you mean, does it show on the credit reports as "OK", the answer is "Yes" for most issuers.  

Message 9 of 11
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

Short Answer: Yes, yes it still reports as "ok" for the month.

(Side note: I read OTP and thought of Outside the Perimeter. Thanks to living in Atlanta lol)

EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.